1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

common sense test

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by redneck, Nov 19, 2014.

1. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  2. Acm

Acm Guest

3/4. I missed the 2nd one

3. AlamoCity

1) Slice a giraffe into pieces and put it in the refrigerator or put a stuffed toy giraffe inside.

2) Same as above. Two stuffed animals can fit in the refrigerator. LOL

3) After I read the "New Age" way this test was going, I correctly guessed elephant. That said I didn't really like my answer.

4) Bullshit. If we are going to put "every animal" in the ark, that includes humans LOL. That means I can't swim across the river because I'm already in the ark hahaha. Or, I also thought that because it said "is inhabited" versus "usually inhabited," that meant that the crocodiles were still in the river. Maybe they survived Noah's flood the same way they did in the first one along with all of the fishies and didn't care for saltwater or freshwater combinations.

I guess I got one right. I get bonus points for considering putting stuffed animals inside the refrigerator. They never said they had to be real. While it may be true that a child may be more "logical" in the sense that they process information linearly, an adult brain can process many other possibilities at a more complex level thanks to experience and, usually, greater brain processing capabilities.

4. Thedistra

I feel tricked. Anyways I got the first and last one right. Though I only got the last one because I caught onto to it's little 'tricks'.

#4 Thedistra, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  5. Amerigo

i'd like to see whoever wrote the questions put a giraffe in the refrigerator!

and testing to see if we notice the repercussions of our actions? well then, i demonstrated that in the first question when i said it'd be a waste of time because the average giraffe is too big to fit, where would one find the time and money to purchase/tame a giraffe, or even find they have the will to do such an inhumane thing?

and the last question is a farce. how can a river be simultaneously inhabited by crocodiles and not at the same time??

nice video though :slight_smile: i agree kids are awesome

6. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I got 3/4. I got the 3rd one wrong. :eusa_doh:

---------- Post added 19th Nov 2014 at 11:30 PM ----------

This is exactly why they said professionals tend to overthink things :wink:

7. White Knight

I think saying you can simply put girrafe or elephant into a refrigerator is naive and stupid answer one can get. More common sense is slicing them down to reasonable portions.

Or common sense aint what I think it is, "Common sense is a basic ability to perceive, understand, and judge things, which is shared by ("common to") nearly all people, and can be reasonably expected of nearly all people without any need for debate".

Anyway lost my interest in it after this first question so no results for me.

8. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It's not overthinking. It's just thinking. Thinking of how you would practically do something. I got all of them right because I've heard them before, people used to say these as riddles when I was in 2nd grade. But I think the video saying it tests this and that is false. These are not solutions which will work, and common sense is all ABOUT practical application.

9. heyguyswhatsup

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I got all but the last one right.

I was like, "but aren't the crocodiles on the ark?"

10. White Knight

Just as we are talking about common sense, today Listverse has it as:

For full list of Everyday Words Whose Meanings No One Can Agree On.

11. Hexagon

I didn't see any links to an actual study. And I'm not impressed. Those questions didn't test common sense, they were designed to trick people.

12. Aquilo

Those questions tested irrationality or the ability to react to irrational questions. They say that one question forces you to think about the consequences, but if you answer question #1 right, you didn't think of the consequences, so the questions are incongruous too.

Got only the last one somewhat right: "You first test the river for crocs to be sure and then cross the river in whatever way you wish, because according to the logic of the dumb, lying asker of questions, there are no crocodiles in the river, even if he states that there are."

---
    Correction:

The test is wonderful, as it does actually test 'common sense'. The lesson of today is: Common sense is mostly dumb and quite useless in determining answers to questions in real life. Rational thinking is more useful, as often things aren't as they first appear.

Thanks for posting this!

#12 Aquilo, Nov 20, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  13. Mith

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  14. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  15. timo

I got the last two correct, but only because I lowered myself to the video's level. I could feel myself getting more stupid every second, I swear the video absorbed my brain or something.

16. tulipinacup

I think the real test here is whether or not you believe this is an accurate test lmao

I would cut the pieces of the giraffe's body too but noooo 4 year olds think that would hurt the giraffe so you can just open the refrigerator with no ventilation at all and close it because you know.., common sense lmao

17. RAdam

This is not a common sense test. It's an ancient joke I knew when I was 7... Every Dutch person knows it that's why I had 4/4. Once again not a test but a children's joke.. A very very old one.

---------- Post added 20th Nov 2014 at 02:19 PM ----------

I'm surprised you didn't know this joke.... Maybe it's an amsterdam thing lol.

18. tulipinacup

You guys have terrible humour then.

19. White Knight

Here fixed it for you. :lol:

20. The Janitor

Kansas City (such originality for a city name)
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I didn't even have time to think of answers for any of the questions. I was too busy thinking what the questions were supposed to mean.