1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mental Help becuase I'm a fangirl?!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Bella Vampire, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Bella Vampire

My mom said she might be either getting me a therapist or put me in a mental hospital because of my Twihardism...Just because I'm a fangirl who can be insane sometimes doesn't mean I should be getting mental help! I am not the one who killed her brother because he said "Twilight sucks!" No joke, someone did that. Do I need mental help?

I have a wall of pictures and quotes from it in my room.

I have an Edward Cullen cardboard cutout in my room.

I have two Twilight shirts.

I've read the series Three times

I talk about about it and make refrences to it sometimes.

And sometimes I like to act like Bella Swan.

It's not like I'm commiting homicides!

I get that I'm over-obsessed with it, but being put in a mental hospital is a little much.

And what she doesn't know that it is a way of coping with depression and self-harm for me. I turned to reading and writing to help me because I love it. If I hadn't picked up Twilight I may or may not be alive right now.

Sorry for the rant, but I needed to get it out somewhere.

2. Q-Tip

*TAKES DEEP BREATH* yes

---------- Post added 20th Nov 2014 at 02:59 PM ----------

Joking aside thats just silly. As long as you aren't you know, becoming really unstable because of it then your fine. I mean look at me when I talk about JoJo!... Okay bad example...

3. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

That's ridiculous. Everyone has their obsessions

4. QueHaPasado

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    No doctor will admit you to a mental hospital for that. So if you mom tries to get you admitted, she won't get very far in the process anyway. Now, for depression and self-harm, yes, they will admit you. But if you show that you have coping skills (tell them you will call a teen hotline, they love that) and don't do anything harmful or dangerous, you will probably not be admitted against your will.

5. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You sounds like a normal fan to me. Fan does stand for fanatic, after all.

The only part that might be a little upsetting for your mother is the part where you say you like to "act like Bella Swan". Remember, your mom just wants you to be you, so it probably worries her when she sees you acting differently. She wants Twilight to be a part of your life, rather than become your life. :slight_smile:

I personally think you just really like Twilight. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Lots of people go through a 'crazy fan' phase in their lifetime.

6. PurpleGrey

Apart from the cutout, all this is pretty normal. You're not even writing fanfiction, or to my knowledge. Besides, much more hardcore fangirls have led ordinary lives no problem, so I wouldn't worry.

But you should totally get into fanfiction. Speaking as a shipper, it feels amazing just reading and writing good fics.

7. Bella Vampire

I write fanfiction:icon_redf

8. CyanChachki

You won't be admitted to a mental hospital. At best, maybe some therapy but personally I think it's a bit ridiculous. I think your mom needs to travel back in time and watch my older sister go through her David Boreanaz phase. THAT was obsession I tell ya.

All that aside though, everyone has their thing. The obsession will start to tone down after awhile and some even move on from what they like and onto the next thing. It's just the way the human mind works, really and there's nothing to be ashamed of and there's nothing wrong with being who you are.

9. Gentlewoman

Out Status:
    A few people
    Fetch the stakes and holy water.

10. Blossom85

I am sorry she is taking it too a bit too seriously. It does sound like a normal fan things to me.. I have the whole series of the novel, I have downloaded the movies on iTunes and also brought the DVDs and have a team Edward mug as well.. I don't see it being anything wrong with having something in your life that you feel gives you meaning or helps you get through your day better.

11. White Knight

Oooo I guess we have another patient for the hospital. :grin: *Joking. Don't hit me. I bruise easily*

We all have/had/will have our obbsessions, from entertainment to sports. Unless you are out there hurting people it is okay.

12. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Definitely.

13. cuppycake

Exactly. Plus, I was super obsessed over that one movie, Catwoman. Damn, I watched that movie AT LEAST fifteen times, and I know EVERY SINGLE DIALOGUE/MONOLOGUE. Ahem, I'm better now (I'm obsessing over Marshall Lee atm) so don't worry, like Fallingdown7 said,we all have our obsessions!

14. Cap’nSerious

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds just like a normal obsession to me- nothing to worry about. :slight_smile:

15. PurpleGrey

Yay! A fellow lover of fics! Do you write for any other fandom? I'm hooked on my OTP. :icon_bigg

16. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Agreed. I'm more of a video game obsessed kind of person; I have over 100+ games, and my entire closet of t-shirts are ONLY video game fandom related (I have almost 200 gamer shirts by now). And I spend a lot of time playing games. My sister is like that with doll collecting, and has a massive pile of dolls in her bedroom (again, hundreds of them). My mom just views us as dedicated collectors, especially since our obsessions don't take over our lives. We still do other things, get fresh air, talk to people, etc. So really obsessions are normal for the most part.

17. Bella Vampire

Sometimes TFIOS, but I have never posted them anywhere.

---------- Post added 21st Nov 2014 at 12:00 PM ----------

When I say "act like her" I really just meant look like her. Dress a little bit like her. I said act like her because, what is life?

18. marie11

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    As long as it's not getting in the way of the rest of your life (schoolwork, time with friends), then you're fine. It's pretty normal to go through phases like that, especially as a teenager.