1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chivalry

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kaiser, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Some folks have no problem with this, and don't mind opening a door for a young lady, or waiting until she is seated first, before sitting down themselves.

However, I've encountered several women who, for one reason or another, do not like chivalrous displays. Most of them say, the reason for this being, because it is implying, that a woman is incapable of handling things herself.

My question is, what do you think of chivalry?

Do you like it? Do you dislike it? Does it depend, on the motives behind the actions, as to whether you like or dislike it? Do you partake in such endeavors yourself?

2. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's fine if a man wants to do it or if a man and a woman in a relationship like doing those things--I have no judgment there.

However, I don't believe a man should be expected to treat women that way. He can if he wants to, but it shouldn't be an expectation/obligation.

I really don't think women should take it as insulting, but I know some do. I once had a woman give up her seat on the bus for me! I loved that gesture, even if it was highly unusual.

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Chivalry is a warrior ethic. I have studied it and have tried to incorporate it into my life. Modern feminism is distrustful of modern chivalry, mostly because I think it's not aware of the latter. Modern chivalry has incorporated insights from feminism and the Enlightenment, and one is out of step with modern chivalry if one doesn't see a place for women as warriors, or a need for all people to be courteous, outwardly focused, and concentrated on self improvement.

Dean Jacques wrote a couple of books about it, of which I have read one. It's somewhat controversial in my view, and he makes a couple of moves that I found worrying. One is that he centers chivalry as a male ethic and talks about the need for men to recover a healthy masculinity. I find this worrying because, although I am sympathetic with any project that challenges aimless and toxic masculinities, I think it's wrong and sexist to be focusing on it as a male ethic.

Chivalry, properly considered, is a warrior ethic, and anybody who is disciplined enough and puts in the work can be a warrior. I have tried, although not hard enough, to become warrior-like. I take this to mean a person who is physically, ethically, and intellectually focused on understanding the nature of human conflict and prepared to fight for the right side. A knight defends what is beautiful about our world. She must do so with compassion, strength, and understanding. None of those elements can be separated from ethic itself.

Chivalry isn't holding doors for people, and people need to stop bringing that up all the time.

~ Adrienne

4. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't mind general acts of politeness like those mentioned, seeing as I do these things for others myself regardless of their gender. In some circumstances I might be suspicious of the intent seeing as there are some that will misuse these gestures.

5. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

I strongly second Pret's definition of Chivalry as a better foundation for this thread.

I'd say I have a few drops of real chivalry inside of me, but I'd never call myself a knight, or saint. No, that's not what I am. I might be nice person, I might be an old-fashioned gentleman and I might have some "knightly" traits, but my "dark side" is far too strong for me to ever consider myself anything but a "mostly honourable mercenary" if we are talking medieval terms.

6. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

As lovely as Pret's contribution is, it kind of takes the thread in another direction. That's fine, do what you will; I enjoy a good exchange. I was more so curious, about how people handled, the more simplistic end of the chivalry spectrum, though.

7. Morse Code

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I like it, but I have wondered in the past, who decided it was the man's responsibility to do all that? Just like, who decided that a man has to put the toilet seat back down, although it's probably nice when they do.

8. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well that's an interesting way of putting it...

9. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I open doors equally for men and women. But, I don't pull chairs. That's a little much, IMO.

10. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Were I to have been born century ago, I would have been beholden to the archaic values and etiquette of the last remnants of chivalry, or further back real chivalry itself. Thank fucking God for a few revolutions, figurative and literal, and the abolition of that dreadful custom. Chivalry comes from social structures I do not believe deserve any legitimacy of existence.

Oh, wait. You just mean politeness? Offer everyone help when it seems necessary, open doors for anyone and everyone if it doesn't greatly inconvenience you. But don't enforce gender roles in how you do such things, and don't engage in patronising actions such as standing up for women, but not men, when they enter a room or the creepy "let me get a look at you" opening of a door to anyone.

11. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Please write a satirical book on social etiquette. Please, I beg you!

12. shinji

shinji Guest

Why do we have to call simple kindness - "chivalry". It has nothing in common with the real meaning of the word.

If i manage to judge a person quickly enough, and deem them worthy of my kindness, i do try and make their life a little better, either by holding a door, freeing a seat, or whatever the situation dictates.

Mostly, this does not happen, as most (if not all) people who i encounter, i don't feel deserve my attention.

Also, this is not limited to either men or women only, it shouldn't be...

13. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Politeness is different and I don't mind it much. If a man holds a door open, I just thank him; after all I do the same for both genders. It's people thinking women are weak and need 'extra attention' that bug me.

14. Hexagon

It's typically sexist, and I have nothing to do with it. I treat people with respect, whatever their gender.

What Pret Allez describes is different, and I have no problem with that.

15. RayXxx

RayXxx Guest

Chivalry isn't all that bad, when you do it for both genders. Personally, I don't like it when a guy is chivalrous to me, because it implys that I'm female, which I definitely don't identify as. I would like to be the gentleman in this case. Chivalry was adopted by christianity for knights originally as some kind of honor code, which eventually turned into a way women should be treated. It was then meant as a way of respect, but in contemporary today, I don't think the need for chivalry is necessary in this sort of way anymore. Everyone should just help eachother out.

16. Ryujin

In regards to Prêt Allez's definition, no, I'm not chivalrous, I'm not willing to fight, that scares me and I'm not capable of doing it. Assuming we're talking about physical fighting. Verbally? Possibly.

In regards to Kaiser's definition, is chivalry only from a man to a woman? If so, no, that doesn't make sense.

In terms of politeness, yes, I hold doors open to anyone who has gained my respect (as well as other helpful things) , and sometimes people who simply haven't lost it. These are people of any gender at all whatsoever. Gender specific politeness is a silly idea.

17. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

It's the most known definition, though.

I agree, politeness should be extended to everybody. I'm kind of glad people have picked up on that. I was wanting to see, how dissected that universal image would become.

18. AlamoCity

Well, I was raised with "manners" that some can consider chivalrous. Examples include:

• Opening the door for ladies and letting them go in first (if a man is behind me, I'll hold the door open, but go in first);
    • Pulling chairs for women (a little dated, but if women are in dresses or formal wear, it does really help);
    • Standing when a woman leaves or enters (also, a little dated, and I usually do it in more formal settings;
    • Lending my suit jacket to a woman if it is chilly and she is without a coat;
    • Ordering off the menu for a woman (a little dated, but it helps in the ordering process; usually done when with [female] family members);
    • Sharing or lending an umbrella to a woman;
    • Giving up one's seat for a woman/elderly/infirm;
    • Not wearing a hat indoors (not sure if that counts as "chivalrous" or "good manners")
    • Addressing most women as "ma'am," regardless of age.

There are sexists implications, I'll admit, but I do so without meaning to demean women. Of course, it also can be biased against trans folks because I will distinguish between "men" and "women" based on physical characteristics. However, one could say that the "beauty" of chivalry is that, while the concept may be rooted in the fact that women are considered "the weaker vessel," a man will treat all women with dignity and respect, regardless of her race, religion, socioeconomic status, educational level, or class.

*Prepares to get bashed* :lol:

19. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Chivalry is completely okay if you would gladly open the door, pull out a chair, etc. for a man as well.

20. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Other than ordering for me, which is forgivable, you need to be my boyfriend, AlamoCity!

LOL!

You're just so fucking precious.