1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Much Should Minimum Wage Be?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kaiser, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Simple question, but perhaps not such a simple answer.

Basically, what do you believe the guaranteed amount of money, somebody gets, for employment, should be?

A certain amount? A certain percentage based on something? Should it be decided, by the employer, or the employee? Should it depend on the type of job?

I ask, for two reasons. One, I'm curious. And two, I know a lot of people complain about the minimum wage, mostly due to the fact, everything else goes up. Politicians increase their paychecks when the standard of living goes up, so, why not the rest of the nation?

I'm sure, economics could be discussed here, which is fine. But everything is becoming digital credit nowadays...

2. keerschtein

Out Status:
    Some people
    I think the minimum wage should be around $15.

3. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I say it depends. We do need a federal minimum wage because there will always be states where they try and do loopholes. I think the federal minimum wage should be around $12 and have it gradually shift to $12 over a two or three year period so it doesn't effect the economy right away. How'd I get this number? Nobody working full time (40 hours a week) should be in poverty. It takes 67 hours in North Dakota (lowest in nation) working minimum wage to afford rent. 67 * 7.25 = 485.75 493/40 = $12.14. Obviously places like Hawaii, New York, or California would need to be higher. I would say a $12 minimum wage adjudged for inflation. States should also be required to figure out the cost of living per hour and set that as a minimum.

$12 might seem crazy but it's currently set crazy low. I don't have the exact productivity rate but it's upwards of $23 an hour. Asking for $12 isn't crazy...

[​IMG]

#3 Geek, Nov 21, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  4. cuppycake

Well, considering the fact that the minimum wage in my country, for an hour, is roughly $1.34, and there's barely any available jobs for people nowadays, then ... yep, it should definitely be higher. I can't quite tell how much, but perhaps at least $5 or something. I don't know, the way people are starving in here, it's fucking horrible. So many lost their lives by committing suicide because they couldn't live with so little money. Like, they literally get covered with loans (due to lack of money)in order to buy food for their children, then they can't return them (due to, again, lack of money) and then they can't take it anymore and they put an end to their life. Not to mention the many, many people who set themselves on fire in front of the parliament building, in the form of a protest. Heh, nothing's changed, but a lot of people died, and will continue to die.

So, yes. At least $5 for my country.

#4 cuppycake, Nov 21, 2014
  5. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The UK minimum wage (set by the government) is currently set at £6.50 per hour for over 21's. In my opinion it should be increased immediately, by at least 25%, with severe penalties for employers who fail to pay up. I do not accept the premise that it would ruin businesses or damage the economy, quite the reverse actually.

6. Candace

I think it should be increased a little bit more, but not $15. I have a college degree and I don't even get paid close to that.

7. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know what it should be, but there ought to be a maximum wage for CEOs and their ilk, the way it used to be in the 60's: about 10x the amount of the lowest wage employee (instead of the current average of 250 X).

8. Yosia

It should increase at the same percent as everything else increases, why cant the Govt. understand that?

9. BiShoegazer

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    13€ an hour (About £10) Anything less, in my opinion, is unfair and simply an act of exploitation towards the worker.

Oh, and it's about time a maximum wage was introduced... *Runs away from angry Capitalists*

#9 BiShoegazer, Nov 21, 2014
  10. SomeLeviathan

it should be a living wage.

11. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    12 to 15 dollars an hour

12. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's $10.1 here. If Labour win next year's General Election, they want to increase it to $12.5 over 5 years.

We also have a living wage, which is $12.2, but employers don't have to pay that, since it isn't enshrined in law, but an estimate on how much a person needs to earn to cover basics (but varies from place to place).

#12 imnotreallysure, Nov 21, 2014
  13. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A little higher than the living wage of a given area. The living wage is a bare minimum for a developed nation, so I feel a bit higher is only fair to allow people to accumulate money and serve as a shelter for a rainy day/make entertainment a budgetary possibility.

In some places, I believe it should be raised to as high as $20-$25 per hour because of the sheer cost of living. If you take into account inflation, that's not exactly extreme compared to the wages of some minimum-wage workers in the post-war decades of last century.

14. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It should be "enough", hence the term "minimum".

15. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You might have heard of the EU introducing a limitation on bankers' bonuses; 100% or 200% of their annual income with shareholders' approval.

If we're getting to the point where opposition to that sort of regulation exists (though Britain dropped its challenge recently), I definitely think that we need to bring senior executives down to the ground.

I don't have a problem with people earning millions and owning capital of hundreds of millions if they pay their employees fairly and submit to taxation for the general good, but many have the gall to oppose higher minimum wages and benefits for average and lower-income earners, or public/civil service incomes which run only into the hundreds of thousands.

16. SomeLeviathan

who was that user who was an ancap? I'd love to interact with them in this thread

17. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I believe Holly was one, not sure if that's who you are talking about though.

------

I believe it in the US be 110% of the living wage based upon the cost of living in that state

18. Hexagon

A living wage. Which here, I think would be about £11.

19. Andronas

I'm not sure exactly how much the federal minimum wage should be, but most definitely higher than it is now. Eventually, businesses will actually have to start paying people more. I also believe that restaurants should not be exempt from the federal minimum wage law. It's dumb that these people are making so much money from their business and don't have to pay their freaking employees at all. Instead, customers consent to paying their employees for them because of the tipping culture.

20. Hexagon

WHAT???

Your country is unbelievable.

---------- Post added 21st Nov 2014 at 10:26 PM ----------

Yes, implying that isn't currently the case. Which is inexcusable.