1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your Best/Worst Holiday Experience

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kaiser, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

This topic has the potential, to go anywhere, but I'll leave that possibility, up to anyone who responds.

With Halloween past, and the holiday season drawing nearer, I've been doing some thinking and a lot of reflecting...

Basically, what is your best holiday experience or memory? What is your worst holiday experience or memory? You don't have to answer both, you can choose which one, if you so like.

2. PurpleGrey

My worst Christmas was when we all flew to Hawaii. I don't like vacations or traveling or crowds or sticky weather or using a bucket of water to flush the toilet. It wasn't hell, but it wasn't enjoyable either. Mom made me take a photo with a half dozen or so half naked men who were performing that evening. At the time, I didn't understand why I didn't want to, other than some embarrassment.

I don't know about any best Christmas. I tend to remember the stresses of holidays more than the good stuff. So much cleaning and cooking and planning and I'm always a fuddyduddy or unstable. Or both.

3. shinji

shinji Guest

I hate holidays in general, all of them actually. Including christmas and my own birthday.

I fail to see why people need a reason, to have a good time.

Also, i tend to see people, having to pretend to be something they are not, just to entertain each other, on said days. It's stupid...

4. Hexagon

My best holiday experience would have to be the trip I took to germany over the summer with greenpeace. My worst would have to be a school trip when I was thirteen to italy. Bullying+flu=bad

5. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I went to a ski resort when I was about 10 or 11, I got a massive flu and spent three days in bed. And the fourth (and final) day, there was a surprising amount of sun, no clouds and the temperature was higher than expected, so the snow wasn't even that deep or solid.

#5 Aussie792, Nov 21, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  6. Yosia

When I went to Egypt, it was a 7 day holiday and i spent 3/4 days VERY ill and recovering for another 2 days.

7. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

My best is a bit difficult to say. There's two contenders, for that top spot.

The Christmas I obtained a PlayStation 2 is memorable, because I was expecting that Christmas to really suck. Of course, I had to make the pitch, that it could double as a DVD player, which worked out for me. Nobody remembered it could play DVDs, LOL, so I walked away with the PlayStation 2, as totally mine.

The other time, was when I was fairly young. I had to be, no older, than 9 or 10. I had been drug to church, by my grandmother, to attend a Christmas Eve candlelit service. Naturally, I didn't attend the service; instead, I started sneaking around the church, just going into various areas. I went to my Sunday School classroom, and found the stockpile of candy, that was intended for our Christmas party, which I took as much of, as I possibly could.

Yeah, I stole from a church. I'm horrible, I know. But, you know, at the time, I had a large amount of candy.

Morals aside, it was an enjoyable experience. For one, I was sneaking around, and avoiding all kinds of detection, so, it was fun. Secondly, there was something rather peaceful, about sitting, alone, in a practically silent room, surrounded by a variety of candies, all of which were being sampled, as I stared at a Jesus-in-a-manger decorative set and flickering Christmas lights. It wasn't the most beautiful set I'd have seen, but that night, it was acceptable.

I'm odd, I know.

The worst is, probably, the year, my mother pawned all of my Christmas gifts. I shouldn't have been surprised; this had happened before, but never so close to Christmas. I had to be, about, 10 or 11, when this went down.

I was absolutely livid. To top it all off, she didn't even pawn all those socks, I got! LOL!

8. White Knight

Hmm I think I don't have any good/best holiday memory. They are just memories, nothing to write about.

Worst ones... too many too painful. So no need to re-account those.

9. CyanChachki

I had many really good Christmases. Though I think the best was the year my relatives came over back in 1998. We only got to see our relatives once a year, if we where lucky enough. It was a nice surprise to have them there, our cousins stayed the night and it was just fantastic. After Christmas, we had gone up there for a few days and visited everyone. even those who didn't come down and had a blast.

The worst would've been two years ago. So many things had changed in 15 years and they had changed for the worst. My family was unraveled and become a bit vicious towards each other. Regardless, we tried to make it work but I'll be honest, my older sister ruined it for all of us. Everything was about her and what she wanted. Every time I tried to speak, she snapped at me and started talking me down. Needless to say, I went home early because I needed to be alone. To me, Christmas is almost sacred. It's a day where you're highly expected to come together and find hope, love and peacefulness, regardless of whatever is going on and that didn't happen. It was a final realization for me that my family was forever lost and that saving them was out of my hands.

10. White Knight

(*hug*)

I can't find any words to offer to ease the pain this thing caused.

11. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The Thanksgiving that I had such a nasty cold that I couldn't taste any of the food. Luckily my grandma invited us over for leftovers a few days after that once I was better.

12. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess it would have been the last Passover Seder I had with my family before I moved out, which happened a couple of weeks later. We had invited my ex-wife's aunt and uncle as we always did, but our hearts weren't into it. We rushed through the rituals, skipped most of the prayers and barely said anything to each other to just get it over with as soon as possible...I'm sure it must have been unbelievably uncomfortable for our guests, it was already known by everyone that our days together were numbered.

13. AKTodd

Best: having Xmas dinner (made up of Thanksgiving leftovers we had frozen plus S'mores for dessert) around a campfire out on a frozen creek across the road from our house.

Worst: when I was in college and came home for Xmas break after my mom had thrown my dad out of the house when she found out he was molesting my little sister. He announced he was moving back in. After much drama and shouting my mom, my two youngest sisters, and myself spent the next two weeks of my break living in a motel room until it was time for me to fly back down to the States.

Todd

14. Thedistra

The Christmas that I got my first dog would be the best. That was when I was 10 or 11.

I haven't really had bad holidays. But if I had to choose one it would be the first holiday after my grandparents passed, which was Thanksgiving. It was just weird without them.

15. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your sure you want this story? Absolutely sure?

Ok...my worst Christmas story:

I grew up in a house with lots of pets. One kitty in particular was a very sweet, quite small, short-haired black cat named Ethyl (spelling intentional). She had needle-like claws, and loved to climb curtains...and sleep on the curtain rod. She would climb your pants and shirt, and curl up on your shoulder against your neck...she was small enough that there was room for her to curl up on your shoulder! If you got up and walked around, she'd actually put her claws out and ride on your shoulder like a parrot on a pirate. Funniest damned cat I've ever known.

Twas the night before Christmas, and my parents dragged me to church. When I got home, I was on my way upstairs to bed, when I noticed Ethyl stretched out under the Christmas tree. Apparently, she had trapped a fly or something in the large plastic bag my parents used to trap fallen pine needles...you could hear the fly buzzing in the plastic. It wasn't until I reached over to pet her and felt the volts of electricity run down my arm that I put it together that it was far too cold for flies. My memory on it is a little fuzzy now (probably from the electrical and nervous shock), but I think she had (for reasons unknown) bitten the place where the cord and extension cord came together...but were not fully engaged with one another.

My parents actually had to put her in a box, in a garbage bag, in the outside freezer, to wait until Spring when we could bury her.

(Go on, Annika...say it...c'mon, say it!)

It was the worst Christmas ever!

(Oh, and the moral of the story is: parents, don't force your kids to go to church...their cat might die, and they'll decide to become a Witch.)

16. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My best holiday experience was when we came out to my former partners parents fourth of July. Worst was a Christmas celebration at my parents house after I came out the holiday before (thanksgiving) I had hoped by the time Christmas had come around that my mother had calmed down from a month before, but she merely went even more insane. She felt justified because her former minister told her that she was doing the right thing, that God considered homosexuality worse than murder (somehow I missed seeing that commandment) He's a former minister because he ended up involved in a sex scandal a few years later.

17. Tardis2020

Worst: when I have to eat my grandma's or great aunt's cooking. Or the millions of times when I'm asked if I have a girlfriend, or to watch out for girls, or when I'm getting a girlfriend.
    Best: When I was in 2nd grade, I got a tortoise for Chanukkah. 8 year old me was pretty annoying to that poor thing back then. I still have her, I haven't decided what to do when she outlives me.

18. Blossom85

One of my best holidays as in Christmas holidays would be the first Christmas that we were a family of 6, my niece was only 8 mths old but it was just a joy to be able to celebrate Christmas with a new little one in the family.

I don't think I really have a worst to be honest.. We do have moments when the extended family get together and have arguments, but I don't see any of them being a day which was ruined.

19. HoneySuckle

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Best holiday would be Valentine's Day of 2010. I proposed to my now wife by doing a scavenger hunt with clues asking her to marry me (she said yes :eusa_danc ).

The worst holiday would be News Years Eve way back in '99. I was a completely insane teenager who believed the world would be going off the grid due to the Millennium. I went to stay with my aunt and stocked up on water, candles, canned food, etc. While playing foosball and waiting for the ball to drop, I didn't notice that my aunt turned all the lights out at midnight. I flipped out. Even though the back hallway light was on. I'm still scared of things like that happening - that night didn't help!

20. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Best: climbing a semi active volcano in chile.. Just amazing

Worst: every Christmas .. Oop another one on the way!