1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are the little things in your life that have a big impact?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AnnoNemus, Nov 22, 2014.

1. AnnoNemus

For weeks I was in a sort of funk. I had no motivation, and all I wanted to do was sit around and cruise the internet. I couldn't get motivated to do my schoolwork, I never went out with friends, all I did was sit at home feeling sorry for myself. But a couple days ago, I finally realized that something had to change. I just wasn't feeling good about myself, and I decided to fix that. So I went out and got a complete new outfit, everything from shoes to a jacket, and some new soap that smells absolutely divine. Today I wore that outfit for the first time, and I immediately started feeling better. I looked around and realized that I'd been neglecting my personal space as much as myself, so I started tidying up. The thing is, once I started moving, I didn't stop. The more things I got done, the better I started feeling. I now feel better than I have in at least a month, and I have a to-do list that'll bring me back on track with school, and with my social life. My life took a significant change for the better, from something as small as a new outfit, and a new scented soap. So my question to the good people of EC is this: What are the small things in your lives that make all the difference?

2. VeddiaVonkin

When i was younger i was constently picked on. Day in day out honestly if it wasnt for my books and scary fairytales i would have gone mad. Currently in my life i realized writing storys to take my mind off of things helps a lot. but the little thing that has the bigist impact would be my skype acount. Who would of known i was going t find the best friends i have ever had on the internet. I may never meet them in real life but they are the best.

3. AnnoNemus

I have a lot of friends like that myself. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I've never met any of them, but we skype and play videogames every week, some stretches we play every day. I can actually relate to the story writing as well. I never wrote them down, but when I was upset as a kid I would just go up to my room, sit down, imagine myself as some character, and then get lost in a daydream wherein I lived out the escapades of that character. It isn't really the same, I guess, but it's similar enough that I can understand where you're coming from.

4. Hexagon

My confidence seemed to improve massively when I dyed my hair green for the first time. Apart from that, I always find meditation helpful.

5. heyguyswhatsup

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Routine.

When something disrupts it, I feel out of place; whether it's expecting that something bad's happened/happening, or that a significant part of my routine has stopped and that it's coping with the change that makes me feel odd.

Without routine, I'd constantly be finding it hard to even be comfortable with where I am.

6. CyanChachki

Doing drag, definitely. I'm not out yet exactly because I'm having so much difficulty with the transitioning and I'm trying to find the right time to start preforming and getting myself prepared for what may come but with all that being said, I still love doing it. I love putting on the make up, I love seeing the transformation and I love going into my room and preforming for myself in front of a mirror. It gives me so much confidence and drive to be who I am and recently, I've come out of my shell and started talking with people instead of listening to everyone's conversations, fearing that I would say something stupid that would lead to embarrassment and/or immediate rejection due to making the moment awkward.

7. QueHaPasado

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Performing in marching band/percussion makes a huge difference for me. I can go to a practice feeling really crappy, but it's like I can take all of my emotions and transform them into a really strong performance. So I'm getting some use out of my feelings, in other words. Then I can go home feeling completely relaxed and refreshed. It's great.

8. Notlad

Whenever I go out and play great tennis. It can turn around my mood for days.

And oddly enough, whenevet my facial stubble grows back I feel more confident in my appearance and that puts me in a good mood as well.

9. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

When someone shows his/her fondness for me.

10. The Virgo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    We should talk! :smilewave

But really gets me going is performing! even if it's just to myself or to mom. I could be in the shitest of moods and turning on my fav song or play and singing my lil heart out will bring the best out in me

11. cuppycake

Honest compliments <3

12. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My school's GSA. ^.^

13. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Getting an e-mail or letter from a particular person always lifts me up. :slight_smile:

Also, cups of tea are always good.

14. duende84

A hair-cut usually gives me a bit of a boost when I feel neglected. Also agree on good smelling soap and eau de toilet. And freshly laundered bedding tops it all.

15. AnnoNemus

YESSSSS! Freshly washed sheets are the best. Especially when they're still warm from the dryer.

---------- Post added 22nd Nov 2014 at 01:05 PM ----------

This is one of the reasons I became a music major. It doesn't matter how bad my day is, if I sit down and play a really slow, lyrical piece, I feel a lot better afterwards, at least for a little while.

16. One Man Army

What really helped me was deleting Twitter.

I was semi-addicted to Twitter, to the point where I'd just sit there with my phone in hand, refreshing tweets every minute and scrolling down to old tweets that I might have missed. Being glued to twitter didn't help me at all, especially as some people I used to follow would often retweet homophobic bullshit from their Christian idols.

Getting rid of the bird was a New Year's resolution come early, and I couldn't be any happier for it.

17. QueHaPasado

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    The same thing happened for me with Facebook, so I deleted mine a while ago and refuse to get back on.

18. AnnoNemus

Reddit and social media are major time consumers for me too. Unfortunately, my addiction is strong enough that I'm not sure I can quit as easily as you did.

19. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

When I'm told, I'm making an impact or having an influence, in general, or to/on someone. This is very important to me, because it reassures me, all the progress I have made, over the past several years, is actually working.

Meditation, since doing it routinely, has been a big impact on my life. It has done so much for me, even if it took a little while, to get comfortable and patient enough for it.

Though I've never experienced it, I would just like to, lay my head on a special somebody's lap, maybe they play with my hair, and tell me, "You don't worry about anything, right now. You do so much; let me take care of you, now.", or something along those lines, because I am always on duty, when it comes to errands and others. It could be 1 minute or 1 hour, it doesn't matter; possibly having a moment, in my day, where I can just be spoiled with pampering, is an appealing-enough thought, which I assume would be just as appealing in actual deed.

Laughter, too. Especially if I caused it.

20. White Knight

Music always helps me to get into mood. With the right tune playing I can face the whole world alone.

Thinking. I always need to jump back from mainstream to collect my thoughts and analyze things.

Working on comics, coming up with new ideas. I never feel more alive than I work on comic stories or characters.

While all those things can have positive impact, they can also turn into big hindrances. Let's keep it positive tho'.