1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A question for non-binary people

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hexagon, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Hexagon

I am, admittedly, non-binary myself, but I feel as though my opinion has little weight since I'm comfortable living as male. So my question to you is, should there be a noun describing your gender, analogous to man or woman? Currently, we have words such as agender, and genderqueer, which are adjectives, analogous to male and female, but perhaps there should be more.

One word that I've heard before is enby, which is basically a spelling out of NB. It could be used as in, I'm an enby. Apart from this, the only other term I can think of is androgyne. Anyway, what do you all think?

2. MusicislifeXD

I think there should be a word for it, just to make it easier to explain and understand. I have no ideas as to what the word should be though XD

3. Hexagon

I agree. But more than that, I feel like non-binary people can never have their genders fully accepted until a full range of vocabulary exists to describe them.

4. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I thought labels and words didn't matter or weren't needed , and everyone hates labels now you want to put a label on people's genders ?:confused:

5. Miles16

Miles16 Guest

I kinda like enby actually, it's kinda cute

6. Hexagon

Would you be happier if you were unable to say, "I am a woman"?

7. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Nope but if we want to live in a label free world all has to go the I'm a woman , I'm a lesbian or my gender is this .
    Gone can't use them anymore if you don't want labels and if they aren't necessary kinda makes us more equal in a way :slight_smile:
    If you did want a word or words to describe non binary genders what would you use ?

8. Hexagon

To get rid of labels would be to get rid of language. What we seek are labels which truly describe us, and which don't try to confine people when they don't need or want to be. As for what I'd use, I made my thoughts clear in the original post.

9. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I like enby.

10. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I see where you coming from .

11. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I guess I'm kind of a bad person in that I'm very resistant to certain neologisms, including nonbinary pronouns. I simply like to identify as "genderqueer" and then choose the binary pronoun that I'm "most like," which is the feminine.

I will certainly honor how people like to be addressed, but I'm afraid I won't be of much help overcoming linguistic inertia.

12. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd rather people just stick with my name. Though I guess I got lucky in it not having a specific gender associated with it.

13. Hexagon

Nouns tend to be easier to coin than pronouns. I do see your point, though.

14. C P

C P

I'm with you in that I'm pretty content identifying as a pronoun we already have(in my case male/male pronouns), but I do think the idea of something like 'enby' is kinda amusing. Can't think of anything else off the top of my mind atm though.

I guess I'm glad I have a name like that, too, though it doesn't really matter in my case I guess, heh. .-.

15. SomeLeviathan

I just refer to myself as a person as opposed to man or woman

16. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've never thought of this before, but I agree that language "legitimizes" things. I like enby as well, it's simple. :slight_smile:

Fun fact: Did you know the words "heterosexual" and "homosexual" were invented in the 19th Century? They were invented in response to a new law that banned "homosexual erotic acts". They were invented to try to equalize same-sex and different-sex acts.

17. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ehh. I don't really mind having to describe myself as an adjective as opposed to a noun. I think saying "I'm non-binary" will confuse way less people than saying "I'm an enby".

On EC, I used to have queerbo as my gender. (having since learned that it's a derogatory term somewhere between calling someone a fag and a hobo.) which seemed to be ambiguous enough for people to get the picture.

I'm kinda with BrownCoat on this one. Using your name is easiest. And unisex names are a godsend.

18. Takine

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I just say dude not to make it complicated, most people are idiots and I don't have the time or breath to waste lol

19. AlexTheGrey

Enby isn't bad at all, and I'd argue that you gotta start somewhere if you want to adjust the lexicon used by society. It may be easier to use a description as a label, but there is value in something that can be a noun or adjective on the same level as male/female.

Yes, unisex names are a godsend, now if only I wasn't given one of the most heavily gendered names in the English language. Thanks, bible.

20. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do like enby. It's kind of like the term "aspie" for those with aspergers. It's not derogatory at all, and it's actually more of a welcoming term.

I think "Hijra" might be another noun. I know very, very little about that term, though.
    "Third-gender" might also be a noun.

Those in the anime fandom sometimes go with something like that, and say "Hideyoshi" in reference to the character in Baka and Test, but I haven't seen that actually used as a serious term.