1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why do some people hate pride parades ?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by stocking, Nov 23, 2014.

1. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't know about you but I always love a parade (!)

But why do some people hate it and say pride parades need to go ?

2. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, my parents hated and still hate all the nudity that goes along with it.

3. shinji

shinji Guest

It's just an opinion people have, you know not everyone thinks the same, right?

As for me, while i do want to visit a parade, to see what the big deal is. I find the trivialization of one's sexual orientation, rather stupid. I mean, when was the last time you saw a heterosexual parade? They make me feel like being gay is something i need to celebrate, it's not, it's who i am, i don't need to prove myself to anyone, to go on the streets and flaunt my sexuality, i'm no more (or less) special than any other person, regardless of what they preferences are.

That being said, i'm guessing it will be fun. Think there was a parade in my country, last year... but there were some, weird stuff and... i don't remember. Maybe 2015 i'll go and see, if it happens.

4. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A lot of people think they give gay people a "bad name", and if there weren't any pride parades, suddenly all the bigots would love us.

But the number one reason for hating pride parades that I've seen is that they've never been to one.

5. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Some people tend to go wild at pride parades and expose a little too much of themselves. It gives off the impression that LGBT people just go half naked in the streets and show themselves off. I can't say much because I've never been to one.

6. silentscorpio

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think some people think they're counterproductive. I've known people who went to Pride once thinking it was going to be a good chance to be an activist and promote love and tolerance but it was just a bunch of partiers and drunk people and insanity.

I went to one and wasn't really impressed but I was undersage. I could probably go to another one now if I'm thinking of it as just being a big ol' LGBT party rather than an activist movement for civil rights. But I haven't been to one in a while so I don't know really know what they're like now. That's just the reason I've heard people not like them.

7. Steam Mecha

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm fine with pride parades, I just think the nudity can be toned down.

8. BelleFromHell

I don't like it when they use the word "dyke." I don't know about other parades, but the one in Atlanta has a "Dyke March." I don't want to be involved with something that has that word splashed all over it. I could just march in the main parade, but it's mostly filled with gay men, so I'd feel out of place. Plus, they'd probably ask, "What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be at the Dyke March?"

Other than that, I don't have much of a problem with pride parades.

9. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    That's why I said some people not everyone .:dry:
    Well heterosexuals don't have to have one to be visible ,but they do a parade it's called Mardi gras.

10. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When was the last time you saw a reason for a heterosexual parade?

11. DinelodiiGitli

A fair portion of my family doesn't "hate" them but finds them "gross" due to the nudity and what-not. Though they feel the same about extremly sexual programs on prime time TV, Mardi Gras, etc.

12. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

You know, I don't mind it I guess. But the reason I don't go to pride parades is that I just don't really like parades in general. Too crowded, too obnoxious, too many eerily smiling fresh out of high school kids- alright, my view of parades is tainted by constant Disney trips.

And then there's nudity- I don't mind nudity but I can understand if someone's taking their kid to pride and Rick from the GSA is letting it all hang out. I think that's something that needs a time and place for it. It's really nothing different than what you'd see at Mardi Gras but that's not exactly something I'd take my young, under 10 years old, kid to see either (but my view of Mardi Gras is also tainted by visits to Universal, and man, my family went once to see their version of the parade and that was more than enough. I didn't need some drunk tourist asshole trying to fight six year old me for plastic beads).

---------- Post added 23rd Nov 2014 at 03:53 PM ----------

I went to a pride event too in my small town. It actually wasn't too bad but there wasn't much going on- there were a lot of vendors and activists there too though. It felt like one of those things I could see once and never need to see again.

Might go to San Francisco's but I dunno if partner and I would have a good time. Boyfriend has never had good experiences at pride events and I hate crowds and loud music.

13. Lipstick Leuger

Hetero parades are not needed simply for the fact that socially, everyone is ASSUMED to be Het. That means, they have privilege. The fact that gay people don't think that they need a Pride parade, shows that they are so absorbed into the Hetero Paradigm that they can't even see their way out. Kinda like people who think that we don't need feminism any longer...........

14. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I agree I didn't think of the fact that their so absorbed into the hetero pardigm makes sense .

15. BelleFromHell

Exactly! Heterosexuals don't need a parade because they are never discriminated against for being straight. When was the last time you heard of someone being fired because of their heterosexuality, had their children taken away from them because of their heterosexuality, or had their family cut contact with them because of their heterosexuality. NEVER.

The only reason racial minorities and women have any rights today is because people got off their asses and fought for them. If we don't do the same with LGBT rights, nothing will get better.

16. ChameleonSoul

I know for many people, it's not the pride parades themselves that are the problems but the oversexualization of them. I've never been to one but from what I've heard it doesn't sound like they're too bad. I mean, it's definately not a good idea for someone to take their five year old child, but you could walk down almost any street in any city at night and find people being more debaucherous and sexualized than in any pride parade.

17. Falklands Sheep

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Depends on the parade really. Gay pride parades should be about us as a collective union of like-minded equals, who are proud of who we are and want to show it to the world. But instead, I find people in extremely lewd clothing (or rather, near-nakedness) being overall disgusting. Not because it's half naked men/women kissing each other, but the sheer public display and lack of morality. That's not an action of pride, it's just a way to scare people off and stigmatize us even more. That just makes the parade backfire and act as a deterrent.

And come on, the idea of a heterosexual parade is just silly.

18. Tardis2020

Google "Gay Pride Parade" go to Images.

There's your answer

19. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Strangely, none of the Prides I've been to have been full of naked debauchery. Am I missing something?

20. NewlyFemme

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I like them for the historical significance, but in many ways it is more segregating than unifying..