1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jack Andraka writes in Advocate about lonliness of being a gay scientist

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Chip, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is a really thoughtful and thought-provoking article by Jack Andraka, 17 year old wunderkind and inventor of a new pancreatic cancer test (among about 4 other amazing things) about how few role models there are in science research and technology for gay men.

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you for this!

Indeed, apart from a few spectacular exceptions (at least for those who are out) like Alan Turing, being a scientist and LGBT is not an immediate connection in most minds...This applies to technology even more: there is a great lack of role models (one can only hope that the coming-out of the CEO of Apple, Tim Cook may change things...but I suspect it will take more than just one high-profile instance).

3. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I never even thought of that when I decided to peruse a degree in science. Being gay doesn't define me -- it's only a part of me (how cliché).

4. Jwis

As a scientist I have never had a problem with this. There are few role models in science to begin with so it would be expected to be that there are even fewer gay role models. I have never had a problem with those who know I am gay, and also to new people I tell in the academic circles. It is widely accepted that homosexuality is not a choice.

Sure I have gotten some indifference, especially from people from India, or other Asian countries. But I am not taken back by that.

I don't see why sexuality matters when looking up to someone. My role models in science fields are likely straight. The reason I have them as role models is because of what they did to pursue science, there sexuality is not important, nor should it be.

5. Pleione

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    :kiss:

Being reduced to just "that gay scientist" would be sad indeed.

6. Compute

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This is a really relate-able story for a lot of people, myself included. Because I work heavily in the maths field, people find it harder to pick you out on the misled stereotypes of homosexuality, such as fashion, music and arts. They exist but in the same as they do with heterosexual individuals as well. These really strong media views spread quickly to the population and soon enough everyone thinks that all gay men sing and dance, and all gay women are incredibly masculine, which is definitely not the case.

I remember around the age of 11 or 12 I was in a personal turmoil about my sexuality because I saw how people thought gay people acted and it just didn't match up with my lifestyle. I do maths all the time, can't tame my hair to save my life, have the fashion sense of a medieval peasant and you really don't want to hear me sing. It took me a long while to finally understand that these have nothing to do with sexual and romantic ideals, and I wish that people in general who portray LGBT members in the media start to respect this more. The sooner we should a diversity in how gay people act and what interests them, the sooner people in my situation all those years ago will realize that these trivial characteristics don't matter at all.

I also wish that there would be more LGBT members in the varied fields, not just the sciences. Alan Turing is also, naturally, a great inspiration to me and I love that he has been recognized in the recent movie 'The Imitation Game' where he was played very well. I think I enjoyed more the fact that he was portrayed in his own unique character, rather than stretching truths of who he was to try and fit in with the social view of what a gay man should do. If it's any consolation, with any divine influence of luck I might be able to make some mathematical break through in the future! :icon_wink

----------

Edit: In response to some people that raise the valid point that sexuality shouldn't really define your worthiness as a role-model in any field, I find that while having more LGBT role-models in diverse fields will help with social education on diversity. Why not be a role-model for both science and social-pioneering?

#6 Compute, Nov 24, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  7. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I definitely can relate to that. While scientists are some of the most diverse workers in terms of nationalities and cultures, there is a definite "don't ask, don't tell" aspect that pervades this, except for "socially approved" things like heterosexual pairings. One problem, IMO, is that the diversity also means a lot of people from very homophobic countries are put in close contact with more liberal people, and since you're usually working long hours with a small core group of people day in, day out, it's easier to just stay in the closet. :frowning2:

8. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's interesting to me studying human development. There are a lot of LGBT people in my field, and a lot of them study LGBT issues. I don't. Not because I don't think it's an important issue but because I have other passions as well. Part of me worries a bit about being pigeonholed when it comes to my research interests. I didn't come out until after I started my current program; we'll see what happens when I go to apply for internships, postdocs, and faculty positions in the future.

9. 741852963

I'd second this. I think many people and the media at large have a very simplistic view of how role models work, the "rules" are apparently:
    Rule 1. The role model must match a person in characteristics (be it gender, race, or sexual preference)
    Rule 2. Without a matching role model (as mentioned in Rule 1) people will avoid said career like the plague
    Rule 3. The role model will automatically attract those of matching characteristics (for e.g. Tim Cook is a big gay magnet - wait, no, whats the opposite of a magnet?! I'm messing with the polarities!)
    Rule 4. Once declared to have role model status it will be impossible for any person of matching characteristics to not find the person a role model

Now back in the wonderful real world we live in...that's utter crap! :lol: Does Tim Cook being gay make me want to give up my day job and go work for his IT company? No, you know why? Because I don't have a strong desire to work in that field and I hate apple! :thumbsup:

In my current job I'm the only gay person doing my role (you heard it right, I'm role-model less! :eek:slight_smile:; couldn't be happier.