1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News: Teens urged to think before they speak

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by tehnathan, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tehnathan

From UPI

Published: Oct. 8, 2008 at 9:34 AM

NEW YORK, Oct. 8 (UPI) -- The U.S. Advertising Council is launching a campaign aimed at ending derogatory language directed at gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender teenagers.

The campaign, created by the New York office of Arnold Worldwide, will include spots featuring celebrities such as actress Hilary Duff and comedian Wanda Sykes, The New York Times (NYSE:NYT) reported Wednesday.

In addition to television and radio commercials, the newspaper says there will be a special Web site devoted to the campaign at thinkb4youspeak.com.

The campaign urges an end to labeling anything negative or unpleasant as "gay."

It was developed on behalf of New York's Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network.

The organization's 2007 annual report said a survey of 6,209 gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender middle and high school students indicated nine out of 10 were verbally harassed during the past school year.

2. Words

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Very, very cool.

Anyone else not really like the commercials though? I love the one in the store, but the others seemed a little fake.

It's about time something like this happened though - I hope it spreads.

3. otc877

otc877 Guest

I agree with you on the commercial bit. I liked the one in the store the most, better comparison of what "that's so gay" implies.

4. Grof142007

OMG TY for posting this lately im been getting PO that my friend keep making those remark now i can finally educate them!

5. Absentminded

I kind of agree about the commercial bit, but in a way, it isn't really fake. It's what people do sometimes to try to get other people to understand their point of view.
    I still think that the whole thing is really really cool though.

6. Psychedelic Bookmarks

That's really encouraging news. :grin:

7. lawlst

good message. weird commercials.
    but i really appreciate NY's GLBTQ alliance for chipping away at this.
    mainstream media seems to be one of the only ways to get people's attention these days...

8. jbb1236

This is awesome, I've been trying to get people I work with to quit using the phrase. But I'm not perfect, I use other slurs, like "That's so jewish," so I can't really harp on them much, but I try my hardest not to use anything like that, it just slips sometimes.

9. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

We've got another thread here about that site so I'll close this one to avoid confusion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.