1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How has EC changed your life?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Quem, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey everyone! I was wondering lately about how much EC changed my life. And honestly, it changed a lot, in a very good way!! :icon_bigg

When I came here (1st of May, 2014), I was this kid who didn't know how to label himself. I had a lot of questions. I wasn't out to anyone (also because I had no idea whether I was bisexual, gay, asexual, anything!).

And now I'm out to everyone, I have a wonderful boyfriend and I know so much more about LGBT things! :icon_bigg I'm happier with myself, I am a lot more confident and that's all due to EC (and some people from EC in special ). I've made several friends here, EC really improved my life! :icon_bigg

That's it about me. So, how has EC changed your life?

2. DinelodiiGitli

It has made me realize that I'm not alone and that I'm not worthless just because of my orientation. It has also helped me be more accepting of myself and provided me with a safe place to ask questions and sometimes answer a few. :slight_smile:

3. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    EC people has given me a safe place to say things I never told a soul, some of them not even myself, and get excelent advice.

I'm also meeting amazing human beings here, and by reading other's stories I get a broader sense of what it means to be... Whatever we are... LGTB, or simply people with a different sexuality or gender than the "norm".

I also feel less depressed about being what I am. I know that there is a place I can go and be understood. A place where people have similar experiences.

I sometimes think, I should start a thread called "Thank you EC", but sure this has been done before...

4. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    For me it's changed nothing and it's changed everything. I say it's changed nothing because from a big-picture perspective I'm in exactly the same place I was a year ago when I joined -- not out and not happy about it.

On the other hand, I'm so much more comfortable with the knowledge that I'm gay, even if I haven't been able to tell my parents about it. I'm completely at peace with being attracted to guys and I wouldn't change that even if I could. This forum is perhaps the only place I really feel like I can be myself right now and I look forward to coming on here every day. It's a pretty trivial thing compared to the transformations some of you guys have gone through, but just being able to talk with people who have had similar experiences is something that means a lot to me.

Even more important to me are the more in-depth, individual conversations I've been able to have with a few people on here. One decided he had to delete his account for whatever reason which bummed me out, but another I feel I can legitimately call a friend at this point and the third is a blast to talk to and shared something extensive and extremely personal to him which I value tremendously. There are some truly amazing, intelligent, open-minded, and kind people on this website. (*hug*)

Finally, and this is a bit coincidental, but EC has reignited my love of reading. I was bored one day and after finding nothing appealing on Netflix, I flipped through the LGBT Books thread, found something appealing, and went out and bought a Kindle. Over the last few months I've read about twenty books and this led to me getting to know one of the aforementioned people a little bit more so this is something that's had a huge impact on me.

So yeah, EC rocks. :slight_smile:

5. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This site helped me accept my homosexuality and come, and with some fallout afterwards.

Thank you, EC!

6. EC let me know that I wasn't alone. I've already came out to half of my friends so EC lets me share my story with others and possibly help others come out.

7. Illus1

Hmm EC has helped me to begin to accept myself and well to not obsess about liking guys like its the only thing in the world but to make it part of me and move on in life. I did miss EC when I was not on it, well haven't been on in a long time (busy schedule ect). I'm still not at the point to date guys, but will get there in time I hope. Just am at the point where it's not making me feel wrong. I live in a very tolerant country but my own culture is not tolerant at all so am just content (somewhat happy, somewhat pining for a guy state) being single

8. Ryujin

Hmm:
    - Figured out sexuality
    - Figuring out gender
    - Met the nicest people I've ever had the pleasure of knowing
    - Matured as a person

9. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't honestly say that EC has changed my life, those changes were going to come, with or without EC. I consider EC my travelling companion, my memoir of sorts, and a place to figure it all out openly with others who are going in the same direction.

It has been a benefit to me and to others insofar as it has allowed me to feel that I am not alone. I know that my own adventure has helped others as well...and I can tell you here that there is no greater feeling to know that one has had a positive impact on other people's lives, wherever they may be.

10. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    EC has changed my life in that I've gotten to exchange ideas, thoughts, opinions, humor, and general good natured banter with a wide variety of people, many of whom are very interesting, deep, intelligent, and unique.

As for contributing, I know my viewpoints are more traditional than the midpoint on EC. However, on some of the more practical things, I hope I have been able to help others in some manner, no matter how small that help may have been.

11. Yosia

Basically, EC helped me discover who I am and at one point, kept me alive - this is not an exaggeration.

12. Rawrzilla

Rawrzilla Guest

I used to be able to meet my deadlines...

13. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :roflmao:

14. Incognito10

Learned that I am not alone during a dark time in my life.

15. Sighofrelief2

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've only been registered a few weeks, and I'm not a frequent poster, but having this safe and welcoming community, and a place where I can be totally, utterly completely honest, has been a godsend. Reading through what others have been gracious enough to share has been a gift.

16. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    EC has helped me realize that I'm far from the only middle-aged guy deciding to come out. I knew I was gay 30 years ago or more, but pushed it aside rather than dealing with it. By the time I was ready to actually do it, I was sure that I was being honest with myself at last, but would be very much alone on the journey. EC showed me that I wasn't the one-man freak show I assumed I was, and also unexpectedly provided me with someone I'll walk the journey with for the rest of my life.

17. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That too. So easy to procrastinate on here. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

18. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Aw this is great. Yeah, Id say ec is just a nice place to go.

19. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess since I joined after I came out and after I accepted my sexuality, mainly to discuss LBGT issues, it hasn't changed my life a whole lot.

I've met some very interesting people here, including many fellow conlangers (I'd never met any at all until I joined this site) and I actually shared the novel I wrote with a member here (never shared it with anyone before that). So it's had some positive impact for sure, even if it's not LGBT-related specifically :slight_smile:

20. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There are several areas in which I see improvement. The first one was to see the good stories of our LGBT members and their parents as well as the bad. Even though my situation is far from ideal, it could always be worse. You all helped me write my coming out letter.

I also don't feel bad knowing that my sexuality may change. I have seen several of you change. Even after you come out to people, that doesn't mean you have it all figured out. There are situations which cause you to continue to have to come out: new workplaces etc.

I have built a small group of true friends who truly listen to me and want the best for me.

I was totally clueless when it came to the trans. community when I arrived here. All of my interactions in real life were negative with people, trans women and men. As a child, I was always told to stay away from them. Now, I count them as some of the strongest people I have seen online for being who they are, no matter how bigoted their immediate communities may be. Gender is what is between the ears and not the legs. Just because someone cannot afford to have surgery does not mean they cannot identify with a certain gender.

Even though they may be minor in nature, I can look back at several points in my life where I subconsciously questioned my gender. It does not unhealthy, and I find that people can have both a masculine or feminine side(even if they are cis). And of course, you guys taught me all the labels.

My only regret is not coming to this site 6 years or so ago or that this site did not exist when I was a teenager. I could have pursued much healthier relationships than I had. However, I am more than happy so many of you can use this site to build an authentic life in your younger years.