1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you a supertaster?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Quem, Nov 27, 2014.

1. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey everyone! I'm curious how many of you are supertasters, or are more possibly a supertaster. For those who have no idea what I mean, I'll include the Wikipedia link:

Supertaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you are a supertaster, you most likely don't like these (or have a lessened preference for them):

• Brassica oleracea cultivars
      • Brussels sprouts
      • Cabbage
      • Kale
    • Coffee
    • Grapefruit juice
    • Green tea
    • Soy products
    • Carbonation in drinks such as in soda, beer, etc.
    I think I am a supertaster. I dislike almost all of the products above (incredibly much), but I do like coffee. There are more signs that you can be a supertaster, such as recognising various ingredients in dishes, spice mixes. Having various strong likes and dislikes, and being passionate about food. I've also read somewhere that supertasters don't like fatty products (which is absolutely the case for me, as well as the other things). :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Although, as far as I know, umami is not directly linked to being a supertaster, I'm also curious whether you guys like products rich in umami. Sadly enough, things rich in umami taste absolutely horrible to me, they are incredibly overwhelming.

Umami - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'll cite Wikipedia again: "Umami taste is [...] most notably in fish, shellfish, cured meats, mushrooms, vegetables (e.g., ripe tomatoes, Chinese cabbage, spinach, celery, etc.) or green tea, and fermented and aged products (e.g., cheeses, shrimp pastes, soy sauce, etc.)."

Because of my sensitive taste, I can't eat much and I have to pick my food carefully. I would have liked it if I was more "normal", because it's quite a struggle.

That's enough! :lol: Now about you!

1. Are you a supertaster?
    2. If so, do the foods listed appeal to you?
    3. What do you think of foods rich in umami?
    4. Are you happy with your taste?

2. elliot96

I have actually never heard of this phrase and can't answer any of your questions, but I find your situation fascinating. It's amazing how varied humanity can be. Researching as we speak.

3. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Glad I am fascinating. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: It's more of a struggle for me, especially the foods rich in umami. Not being able to handle a tomato is so annoying, they use it a lot.

"Pasta?" Yeah! :icon_bigg
    "Do you want a sauce?" *puts on lots of tomato sauce*

Dish ruined. =(

4. Hexagon

Possibly. I've wondered if I am. But in the end, I have no way of knowing. I've never had any other taste buds.

5. I am Kakashi

I'm not, but I find the whole thing fascinating! I don't think I would like it very much. I am a tad picky already, so if I was, I would feel ....inconvenient?

6. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's a taste bud experiment (well, there are more actually). Using blue liquid on your tongue for instance, and then counting the taste buds. I forgot the exact details of it.

It surely is not convenient for me. :lol: Although discovering all kinds of flavours is amazing, especially when I can surprise friends with it. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. Hexagon

I've heard of it. A high enough concentration of taste buds means you're a supertaster. However, I don't have any blue liquid, and certainly not the right type. I guess it doesn't really matter. I like what I like, and that's the end of it.

8. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmm, I don't know. I think we tested the PTC thing in biology once and I was a "taster," but it was a dominant gene and most people were. I've tried coffee and it was gross, grapefruits are gross even when loading them with sugar (though I never tried their juice), kale is nasty. Not sure about soy products. Everything has soy... but I don't normally consume soy milk, tofu, etc, so idk. I don't know about brussel sprouts, green cabage, or green tea -- never tried. Red cabbage is alright (in salads). Carbonated sodas (from cans) are almost overwhelmingly carbonated. Then again, I have european descent which is least likely to be a supertaster it seems. Cannot make a real conclusion. :slight_smile:

9. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, me neither, but I really want to do it. =)

You are right about that. :icon_bigg For me it was a relief to know that I was not the only one, although I've yet to find someone (besides family) who doesn't like foods rich in umami. The only one I know is my younger brother.

@Austin: My descents are European too, so it is possible. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: People usually frown upon me not eating salads, as I think it's very bitter. I can't eat that at all unfortunately, so embarrassing in a restaurant.

#9 Quem, Nov 27, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  10. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yea, but unless you have had the test you can't really say for sure if you actually are one. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Most people don't like bitter foods and not necessarily sure pickiness means you're a supertaster; there could be other explanations!

11. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know, that's why I want to take the test! :lol: I can easily see a lot of red dots on my tongue, but I don't know if they are the fungiform papillae, the ones that matter. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. White Knight

I think I am not as I enjoy some of the things on that list. I usually use spices to eat them to conceal their sharp taste tho'.... then maybe I am?

13. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think you should look the umami list, just the first thing (I think you meant that). :icon_bigg I use spices to give flavour to food (I happen to like certain flavours a lot, such as turmeric). Food without spices is rare, I usually add things. =]