1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

moving to another country

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Split Arrows, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Split Arrows

Has anyone ever done it? What was your experience?

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I haven't "moved" to another country, although I have lived in another country for a substantial period of time.

I earned my bachelor of science in computer science from the University of Victoria. So I was up in the lovely pacific northwest land of British Columbia.

I noticed one key difference between Victorians and Montanans (as well as Canadians versus Americans generally). I had many more positive experiences with strangers and generally felt that people were more attentive and compassionate than Americans, who overall tend to be more controlling, abusive and vindictive.

It was a great experience--would repeat.

3. DrinkBudweiser

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i've never moved to another country, hell i've never visited another country. i have no desire to do so either. i'm sure there's great places out there but i'm a fucking american for life.

good luck though, i'm sure it'll be an interesting and hopefully fun transition!

4. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's what I'd like to do as soon as possible. As to where I'll go, that will depend on several factors. But really, I want out of this hellhole ASAP, and that's still several years off.

5. MissRanger

MissRanger Guest

My family is actually originally from S.E Asia and we immigrated in the U.S (WA) a few years back. My experience was overwhelming, I was very culturally shocked because everything was just new. My perception about the U.S through media was a bit different from what I've just witnessed.

My first struggles were actually communicating with other people in English. Back then my communication skills were limited and I had a heavy accent. Because of this language barrier, I was reserved and quiet all the time. Also, American kids are different from what I've grown up to. Most of my elementary years I went to a strict conservative Roman Catholic school. I was surprised how girls are pressured and consumed they are about their looks. The girls are wearing make-up, push-up bras etc. at their elementary years. Students are also more vocal and opinionated from what I grew up with. Back in my place, "young people" weren't allow to object or speak up to their elders. But also I have found the average American people to be really nice and friendly. The students (at least the school I went to) are willing to help you and the store clerks are always nice and tries to have a little conversation (which at first I thought was really awkward). The amount of football fans are astounding and people here really takes their sport seriously.

Man I could go on forever about how there is a major big difference between my old place and the U.S. But I have come to like the U.S (WA to be exact), it really stretched my perception about other place.

6. Hexagon

I moved to spain with my parents when I was seven. I then moved to england when I was sixteen.

7. MusicislifeXD

Yeah I had to move from Colombia to America but I was like seven, so it was easier to learn the language.

8. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I moved to Japan 8 months ago. It's something I planned for a very long time so I haven't had to deal with too much culture shock or anything. However, even though I've studied Japanese for years, there's a huge language barrier still. There are some small things, like grocery shopping or pedastrian etiquette, that were difficult at first but you get used to it.