1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Since when did bisexual become the swear word and bi eraser become popular ?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by stocking, Nov 28, 2014.

1. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I've been seeing this a lot and , sorry but this crap upsets me , and the weird part about it is it's not just lesbians and gays doing it but some bisexual people as well condoning it .
    I've seen it a lot on the this forum and else where
    For example if someone ask a question on the forum about their sexuality ,and you suggest they might be bisexual ; Some get upset like if you murdered their family or something . You see this specially around female posters

Someone else ask a question question saying everyone is a bit bisexual ,and you say well you think those people are just bisexual ,and you think people who are attracted to both sexes are just bisexual. You get called a label police and biphobic it's like what the fuck .
    Didn't know was biphobic to say bisexuals exist ? :confused:

I'm confused I thought we wanted bi visibility not bi invisibility so why are so many people in favor of erasing bisexuals .?:confused:
    And why is being bisexual seen as a bad thing to the point , that if you called someone bisexual it's seen as a swear word or calling them the N word .
    I'm wondering what's going on here ? why is the B a dirty word now that everyone wants to pretend doesn't exist ?

Should I just pretend the B doesn't exist too, now days it seems like the popular thing to do ?:confused:

Guess I'm gonna get called a label police and biphobic person for this post anyway , I'm ready , if you want to go ahead I've been called many names .

But I really wanted to know why this is okay and popular .

#1 stocking, Nov 28, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  2. L0ser

I'm not too sure why a lot of people treat bisexuality this way, and other sexualities where the person is attracted to more than one gender, but I do know it's annoying.

Between the way people act that bisexuality doesn't exist, and then how certain people have awful mindsets about bisexuality, it look me a long time to be comfortable with my sexuality.

Biphobia sucks:/

3. DrinkBudweiser

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i've never heard anyone say that bisexual is a swear word. or a bad word for that matter. a lot of people not within the LGBT community look down on it because they're narrow minded fucks that couldn't tell you whether an apple falls from a tree or grows from a plant in the ground. they think it's impossible for someone to be attracted to both sexes so they like to label that person as a "slut." - but i've never heard it referenced as a negative term (comparable the N word) in real life or on this forum.

unless you're saying that people who label themselves as gay/lesbian get offended when you suggest or ask if they're bisexual... either way, i haven't seen anyone get annoyed or rude about this.

4. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I feel you it annoys the hell out of me too :dry:

---------- Post added 28th Nov 2014 at 09:43 PM ----------

Well outside of this forum I have heard someone call another person a bigot for saying that they could be bisexual . I've seen it a lot
    I'm wondering it's a new swear word now .:confused:

5. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmmm, I guess I suspect false-premise. I'm not seeing it a lot...certainly no more than usual. People are sensitive about their sexuality...as are you, stocking. If they are convinced they are lesbian, for instance, then they probably feel that quite strongly, and an implication that they *could* be bisexual triggers an emotional response. I've seen you have similar reactions. But different people express those emotions in different ways.

The label police thing is weird, and I suspect stems from people not agreeing completely on what the labels in question mean...which to me is all part of our society's lack of value for language and meaning (we seem to devalue not only correct or intelligible use of language, but frequently people even seem not to care whether or not *they* are making sense or whether people understand them correctly).

But because it's done in a thread here or there does not mean it's ok. Nor does its occurrence in a few threads make it "popular".

With respect to what *you* should do, I'd say follow your own conscience and do what feels right.

6. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thanks bi annika you actually explained this well , the weird part is I wasn't even addressing their sexuality in the threads but just the topic at hand or what the questioned asked but then they took it all person because I didn't agree with them . Plus they never told me what they identified as so I was confused on why they were taking it personally

7. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know what we're talking about ^^

8. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It's okay (*hug*)

9. DrinkBudweiser

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i think the gay community in general is sensitive about labels and using the "politically correct" pronouns. people get all bent out of shape when they consider themselves female and you refer to them as "he" and vice-versa. that shit gets on my nerves. it's one thing to correct someone so they don't mistake you again... but to have a cob of corn shoved up your ass about it is another story.

10. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I can get trans men and women getting mad about stuff like that at least there's makes sense but the thing about bisexuality specially around females makes me wonder is being a bisexual female seen as a bad thing . It's almost like if their running from the plague .
    I don't get what's wrong with it so you like both sexes to some degree what's wrong with being bisexual .
    Some times I just feel maybe I just shouldn't care and maybe it's wrong to care and just let people be bi phobic all they want seems like they like it that way and I'm just ruining their fun :confused: .
    I guess I shouldn't mess with what they see as a good thing .
    I just hate seeing a group being disrespected , but maybe I should just ignore it like most people do .

#10 stocking, Nov 28, 2014
  11. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I mainly think it is weird when people ask what their sexuality is. I usually say 'Only you can decide' but that isn't always helpful so I try to say 'bisexual' or 'gay/lesbian' based on what I see on their post. I'm not imposing labels, just trying to help. I think if people get offended then they probably know what their sexuality is and shouldn't have asked for advice in the first place.

12. DrinkBudweiser

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    it doesn't make sense for anyone to get mad about it. if you aren't aware that someone is transsexual, that's not your fault. now if you TELL them and they repeatedly call you by the incorrect pronoun - that's different. and it's not always obvious (as some people think) either. for example: i am a female, i identify as a female. i have no desire to be transgender or for someone to refer to me as "he." - i think i look more masculine than some of the trans-males out there who obviously wanted to be referred to as a man. so you never really know what someone prefers to go by, therefore, no reason to get bent out of shape by it.

but in the long run, you shouldn't care. when people of the gay community get sensitive over silly shit like that, i usually just laugh. which creates more chaos... but i find it funny. sorry not sorry.

13. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I agree with this sometimes , I just say don't label and wait till you figure it out because I know if I say bisexual they will get mad . but if I say lesbian or gay no one gets mad it's all fine and dandy . I can get someone getting upset if they never asked such a question but when they asked it it's like but you asked what your sexuality was so what's wrong with saying it's B from what you wrote .
    Now I'm thinking I just shouldn't care anymore

---------- Post added 28th Nov 2014 at 10:10 PM ----------

Oh your talking about when you don't know okay I understand that but maybe your right I shouldn't care anymore .

14. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

I wonder where all this hate for bi's is coming from, as I'm not getting any, or at least not more than usual. You really must have a talent for talking to all the wrong people.

So many get upset about their sexuality and labels much too easily.

15. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm not sure talent is the right word but you do have point :dry:

Omg Raven why do you keep making me laugh , I just remembered what my high school teacher use to tell another student who was late and had excuses and told him he's like that movie Lemony Snickete a series or unfortunate events lol:lol:

#15 stocking, Nov 28, 2014
  16. Anongirl123

Hmmm. I don't get people who are strongly and consciously attracted to both genders doing the whole biphobia thing. But I can understand when it's people with minor attractions. If someone's a woman who primarily likes women but has some attraction to men and someone else tells that person they should label as bi, I can see why they would get touchy. In that scenario, if you call yourself bisexual then everyone's going to assume you're open to relationships with both. If you're small attraction to men isn't enough to make you want to pursue relationships with men regularly, calling yourself bi would kind of be an invitation for men to hit on you (which you may not want)

Unfortunately, most people outside the lgbt community (and a lot of people who are a part of it) don't realize that you can still technically be bi if you're only sort of attracted to one gender and fully attracted to another. There's a general assumption that you like both and want to date both.

Also, being bisexual is trendy. There are a lot of fake bisexuals out there. Most of them are women who have made out with a couple of girls before at parties or can say "Angelina Jolie is hot" (even though they would never actually date a woman) which is why women in general are wary of the bi label. I don't think being bi is trendy for men, because most people assume bi men are just gay, and not doing it to be unique. People don't want to be clipped to that negative stereotype.

I also think people, particularly women, are wary of calling themselves bi unless they are attracted to each 50/50 because if you're bi, you technically can choose which sex to end up with. I'm sure there are plenty of lesbians out there who have dated women who identified as bi and went on to marry men, because it is easier. Having kids is easier, being accepted is easier, it's legal everywhere. Some lesbians may feel insecure or envious that if they date a bi women, she theoretically has a "way out" at all times (to end up with a guy) while other lesbians don't.

If you're a woman who's mostly attracted to women and only sort of attracted to guys and you call yourself bi, you could face a lot of people (especially your family) telling you "well, you're bisexual, not lesbian, you could technically end up with a man and it'd be so much easier." If you aren't a 50/50 bisexual though, it feels like less of a choice. If you're inclined to one gender and will most likely end up with that gender, you don't want people to take your partial heterosexual attractions and use them against you when saying who you should and shouldn't date. If an out lesbian tells her parents she has a girlfriend, they may be upset, but they wouldn't really argue. If a bisexual woman who was inclined towards women and only somewhat/partially attracted to men made the same announcement, her parents may tell her "do what you want now, but ultimately, you could still end up with a guy. Why wouldn't you want that? I mean, you like men just as much as women, right?"

Lastly, being gay or lesbian is probably easier emotionally. I know I'm struggling to figure out if I'm gay or bisexual. To be honest, I would rather be gay or straight. I would much rather be attracted to just one sex, because being attracted to two could lead to a lot of conflicted feelings. It might feel like you're always missing out on something. Mind you, I'm not one of those people who doesn't care about gender. Some people say gender and genitals are ultimately low priority compared to other qualities, but a lot of people (and a lot of bisexuals too) don't feel this way. Men and women are different.

My little contribution to this conversation.

17. josh36

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think some gay people are threatened by bisexuality or just plain jealous some may even be bi but being gay is easier . I know who I am I love woman and I love men I am currently dating a man when we go out and I see a hot chick I damn near break my neck checking her out if I see a tall ripped guy guess what same thing happens. I think its sad when gay people think we dont exist or we need to pick a side because I love gay men. It makes a lot of us really mad. If the gay community want accept us who will. I do exists im not confused im not half strait half gay im not strait im not gay I am a proud bisexual man always have been always will be.

18. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thanks it's a very good one

19. nativeofruby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well, it is not. It's just as hurtful as it would be to be called mean names by homophobic people...

And the LGBT community should know better than anyone that we really didn't ask for this, it's just part of who we are. Trust me, sometimes I wish I was born a Heterosexual or simply a Lesbian because I've felt more attacked as a bisexual as I reckon I would be if I was any of the those others.

And it's so sad that some people who have been through similar stuff, who have struggled because of their sexualities, would do the exact thing to others.

No, I'm not greedy. No, I'm not lying to myself or others. And I'm certainly not promiscuous!
    I only can't understand why I've been so many times mistreated by people who should know better. I like boys AND girls, so what's wrong with that?
    :icon_redf

20. CyanChachki

I completely agree with this, 150%. I just don't get it. Like I don't. It should be easily understood. You like girls, you like boys and I like both.. and that's it. Like I don't understand how people can see it as nonexistent.