1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you "take it to the next level"?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by confuseduser99, Nov 29, 2014.

1. confuseduser99

When you're dating someone, how do you "take it to the next level"? I'm a virgin, so I don't know how these things work. I'm also the kind of person that can be completely oblivious to signs/hints. Also, I don't usually initiate. I need my partner to make the move (I'm always too nervous, scared, and awkward).

I was with a guy yesterday, and after we had dinner, I went to his place to watch a movie. We ended up chatting for most of the night, laying on his bed. It didn't get physical at all. Was the invitation of "watching a movie", and laying in his bed a sign/indicator of something more, or was it simply a kind gesture?

Also, how would one move forward from the just laying in bed, to say cuddling? Do you just make the physical contact?

I'm so new to this, when I shouldn't be. I'm 21 :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2. Hexagon

Firstly, don't think that you should know about this stuff. There's nothing wrong with not having had sex.

I would assume that once you're in a setting you described, lying on a bed, you just need to initiate physical contact in a small way, holding hands or something. Then just build it up.

3. Rawrzilla

Rawrzilla Guest

Someone has to take the first step at some point. I mean, this guy let you on his bed during a date, that's a preeetty good sign that there was the potential for that to be more (I would never let a stranger that I didn't mean to fuck on my bed, for instance). I get that you may feel reluctant to take the initiative, I'm pretty shy myself (yes I am), but what if your partner is also waiting for you to make a move? Are you both just gonna sit there waiting for something to spontaneously happen? Even if it's small things, like Hexagon mentioned, you gotta try to find ways to let him know that you're ready to take it to the next level. If you don't want to take the first step yourself then at least encourage the other party to do so, but you gotta do something.

#3 Rawrzilla, Nov 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2014
  4. confuseduser99

This may seem like a rather repetitive/circular question, but HOW do you make that next move? Do you literally just do it (ex. grab his hand, move in closer to him, etc.)?

Also, I didn't mention this, but the night ended in a bit of an awkward way (God, I'm so bad at this). I leaned in to give him a hug, and he mumbled something like "umm, I was gonna"... I got the hint from his body language and the mumbling. He kissed me on the lips. It was a really quick one. It felt so awkward though, because I felt like I maybe borderline offended him with JUST the hug gesture at first.

Once I left though, he was kind enough to shoot me a text to tell him when I got home safely. We texted a bit afterwards. He said we'd chat again today, but I haven't heard from him since. I just sent him a message about 30 min ago. Still nothing... I wonder if I maybe "friend zoned" myself already.

I mean, it was only our first official date.

5. Rawrzilla

Rawrzilla Guest

Duuuuude this guy meant business lmao. I repeat, he let you on his bed. On the first date. He was so game. And now you tell me he kissed you? Forget about identifying "signs" this guy was figuratively yelling at you "COME AT ME BRO!" hahaha.

I don't think he was offended; if anything he could have been disappointed that you didn't go for a kiss (or a second kiss after the awkward one! c'mon he gave you carte blanche!), which is fine I guess if you were trying to lay some boundaries because it's just the first date and whatnot but if you wanted to go for it and you held back well that's a shame because it sounds like he was pretty down to it. He might be questioning your interest in him though, so letting him know that you still want to pursue... Whatever this is takes priority number one right now. You said you sent him a text? Hopefully you mentioned if you had a good time last night and your interest in seeing him again. Which brings me to:

YES... Yes. Yes. Specially when they make it as evident as this guy that this it what they are expecting.

6. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Start making out, then get a little grope-y, then see what happens

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like you have someone who was surprisingly polite and willing to go somewhat slowly. I'd be pretty confident he was open for something to happen, but it sounds like he also wanted to be respectful to you.

So one way of starting the ball rolling could be to just start rubbing his back, or reach over to his hand and squeeze it. If you want to get the message across really clearly, you could, after squeezing his hand, gently move it down toward your crotch. (That's a pretty unmistakeable sign!)

Don't be embarrassed or ashamed at all of asking these questions. Nobody knows until they learn somewhere, and this sort of stuff is exactly what EC is here to help with. :slight_smile:

8. confuseduser99

AHAHAHA! He responded. We're still talking. I didn't mention anything today about last night, as I already texted to him last night that it was great, and thanked him again for dinner (he paid for the dinner! I was thoroughly impressed!).

I feel like I have trouble letting my guard down. I'm such a cautious person, always thinking about possible scenarios, and playing them out in my mind. I always envision the perfect way to execute something, and will almost never do it unless I know that it'll work. I'm so analytical, it's embarrassing.

I'm so bad at this love thing.... Like ugh, why am I so oblivious, scared, nervous, self-conscious, self-doubting, and awkward. At least I guess that I'm finally learning.

This was pretty much my first REAL date (embarrassing to say since I'm 21).

9. Rawrzilla

Rawrzilla Guest

Well there you have it, you had your first date. You know more now than you did yesterday so stop beating yourself over the head with the inexperience bit. Just know that, the way I see it, this guy is 100% into you. Stop doubting yourself and start taking more risks, which as we just learned, are way less "rieskier" than you make them out to be. I mean, the guy also payed for the dinner? He would have to leap at you to make his intentions any more obvious lol.

In this particular case, I reaaally think you have way less to worry about than you think. Just go ahead and grab his hand; get flirty; kiss him, and I mean, kiss him, not just a quick peck (although you may want to start with that and go from there). If you get anxious that's fine, he will get it as long he sees you trying (if he is anything like me he will love you for it hahahahah).

10. confuseduser99

In retrospect and looking at this from an objective point of view, you're totally right about the whole "he would have to leap at you to make his intentions any more obvious". :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I think my other problem is that I feel like a creep when trying to make advances, I don't know why. I'm so innocent :roflmao:

Another thing is me being all self-conscious. I'm not comfortable with my body. I've got a little bit of blub on my tummy (as most people do), but I REALLY want a flat stomach (currently working on that). I think that's another thing that stops me from doing anything. That, and the whole nervousness of it being "my first time".

But as you say, I should probably relax a little. I mean, I did learn a lot yesterday! I guess I'm trying to take this all one step at a time!

11. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    At least you got a date! Haha, whenever I get a crush on someone, I always avoid looking at them and pretend they don't exist, which I know will NOT prompt them to start flirting; it turns them off. But I get so nervous and scared. I don't even know if anyone's ever liked me. The only time I got asked out was when I was in 3rd grade or so and the boy was asking ALL the "girls" (unfortunately, I was a girl back then) out. Ugh. He was pretty disgusting, too.

I'm at a lower level than you when it comes to experience. Don't feel bad. But being clueless at 21, that's pretty cute of you. Maybe your date thinks so, too.

12. Rawrzilla

Rawrzilla Guest

If you wanna take it slow that's fine too. My worry was that you were inhibiting yourself from doing stuff you wanted to do thinking your eagerness would backfire on you but if you wanna take it one step at a time that's your choice and any man worth a damn will respect that (he sounds like a man worth a damn btw). Also:

^This​

13. idream

idream Guest

Well, what you do is you hit the boxes with the question marks to get mushrooms and coins and then you swing on the flagpole...to get to the next level...LEVEL UP *can you hear the virgin in me*

14. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It feels more natural than you might imagine - you just need to get started. If he kissed you on the lips already you are good to go... if another guy is happy to touch your lips with his he should be open to more touching elsewhere.

Start with kissing and let things build a little, but get really close to him (if another person can squeeze their arm between the two of you, you're not close enough!). If you are close enough you may detect some 'movement' in the crotch area and then you will know for sure about taking it to the next level. :icon_wink If you are both ready, let it happen.

Making a move doesn't make you a creep. If nobody made a move on a date where would we all be? Dating is all about getting to know someone and becoming closer to them.

Good luck!

15. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, I'd be more embarassed about the date than everything after. Well, that and the making out part.... The advantage with having a friend with benefits is that I had no qualms about making the first move. I would normally rub against his thigh or waist. Maybe rubbing his head or neck too. I guess the weird thing though is that I haven't had sex in 12 years; I sort of feel like a virgin all over again in a way.

16. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, I'd be more embarassed about the date than everything after. Well, that and the making out part.... The advantage with having a friend with benefits is that I had no qualms about making the first move. I would normally rub against his thigh or waist. Maybe rubbing his head or neck too. I guess the weird thing though is that I haven't had sex in 12 years; I sort of feel like a virgin all over again in a way.

17. Gregarity

Ditto what everyone else is saying; dating requires a lot of give and take, so sometimes carpe'ing the dang diem is required. And trust me, l know how you feel about feeling creepy doing the initiating romance of any sort thing. I'm hearing increasingly, too, that it's healthiest to love yourself to some degree before you love someone else. If these comments aren't doing the trick, look up small ways of building up your self-esteem and confidence; there're plenty out there l'm sure. If that's not your cuppa hot beverage, take some risks with this guy. See if he'll reciprocate your flirty head nod or that caress you offhandedly give him, and work up. Take pride in the risks that pay off, and when they don't, instead of getting upset with yourself, remind yourself that, a. you're still learning and it's okay to make mistakes and b. if he's really into you, he won't mind some awkwardness on your behalf.

One last thing to note before l kick my soap box to the curb: communication. Try to be as open with him as you possibly can. Let him know exactly how you feel. Maybe if you're feeling particularly uncomfortable or awkward, let him know and see how he sees you! Very often do our mistakes or insecurities bother ourselves much more than those around us, if at all.

18. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This. Plus if he's aware that you're feeling insecure about your lack of experience, he'll know that it's not because you don't find him attractive. If you don't feel comfortable just grabbing him and going in for the kiss, then ask him, "Can I kiss you?"

I'm never sure how to be forward either. But I have more regrets of things I haven't done than things I have. There really isn't anything to be done but just to do it.

19. confuseduser99

Ahahaha! Not sure if I would ask him. That would feel even more awkward :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

20. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    How did you end up meeting him? I know that was the subject of several of your other threads.