1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Women have a harder time figuring out their sexuality - True or False

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Anongirl123, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Anongirl123

I've kind of noticed something after hanging around on these forums for a while (especially the sexual and romantic orientation forum), and I was wondering if anyone else agrees - bear with me here.

It seems as if women have a harder time figuring out their sexuality than men. They seem to doubt themselves more, figure themselves out at an older age, there seem to be more straight girls asking bicurious questions than straight guys, etc.

Why is this? I had one hypothesis. I think men tend to have a higher sex drive than women in general, so that's a very strong cue they can go off of; think of all the horny teenage boys out there for example (boys seem to have strong sexual urges and feelings at a younger age than girls). In a sense, that sex drive is almost a kind of subconscious guide. Girls tend to be more sexually reserved though - for whatever reason - so they don't have as much of that primal, sexual instinct to go off of. They don't have that same strong platform to use as a foundation (unless they too have a higher sex drive/libido). Not saying either one is good or bad. It's just biology.

Also, women also seem to need more emotional bonding in a relationship, while men seem to need more physical bonding. I know plenty of psychological studies out there show that men bond with and connect to their partners through physical touch and sexual activity, so if that diminishes, they can become quite depressed. Likewise, women need more verbal emotional support and deep conversation than their male counterparts.

The tricky thing is, though, that regular friendships do not provide the physical/sexual aspect of your average relationship. That's why friendships are platonic. However, friends can absolutely support you and talk to you in the same manner that a boyfriend/girlfriend would. Hence even more confusion (and why so many stereotypically "straight" girls start questioning if they are bisexual, seemingly more often than straight men). These feelings of emotional/friendship bonding seem to guide women on their journey to discovering their sexuality in the same way that a stronger sexual instinct guides young men.

Just a theory of mine (probably laden with stereotypes too). Feel free to add any other thoughts or observations.

2. iiimee

Hmm, my theory is opposite really. I've seen more men on here personally, but I think women can often tell more easily, since they are more in tune with their emotions. Of course they have doubts! Tons of people do! Doubt is a part of figuring out, and questioning yourself is quite healthy really, as long as questioning yourself does not lead to self-loathing. However, it's really the enviroment you live in that decides if you hate yourself or not (in my opinion). Alot of people live in or are around enviroments which tell them their way of life is wrong, and when they come to terms with who they are, whenever that may be, it is often self-denial and self-hate they feel before they can accept themselves. However, I think overall women have coming to terms with it easier, certainly individuals are all different and everyone has their own set of difficulties with it.

3. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yes but I think it's because of how women are raised that's why we are told this from little girls .

1. You're suppose to please men

2. Not think of yourself

3. Ignore your own feelings

4. Don't have an opinion because you'll make your husband angry

5 . Women don't have a sexuality

6. Women don't like sex

7. you're the giver not the receiver

8. You're worth is base on if you can attract guys

9 you're suppose to be innocent and pure you don't experience lust , like men do .

10. Men have a higher sex drive than women

All these not true .

I think these things contribute to why women have a harder time . I can list more but it's too long
    The reason more straight girls ask bi curious question than straight guys is it's more accepted for women to be bisexual in fact it's encouraged .
    Women are taught to be more reserved sexually than men , women aren't natural more reserved than men . Men's sexuality is okay as long as it's straight .

#3 stocking, Nov 30, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  4. Anongirl123

So, do you think this is why young women seem to have a *perceivably* lower sex drive than men? I'm curious if the stereotype that men are more visual and sexual has an actual biological foundation, or if it's purely societal (I always thought a big part of it was biology).

The root of my question was suggesting that women tend to use emotional cues to figure out their sexuality more often, while men tend to lean more towards purely physical, sexual cues. The sexual instincts are, on paper, easier to figure out because they are so straightforward, natural, and unique to romantic relationships. With emotional cues, it can get messy and there can be more overlap.

Good point.

Although, I didn't intend to sound like I was wagging my finger and blaming female sexuality confusions on men and "the patriarchy." I was asking if my theory seemed to have a biological basis that makes sense, not so much a societal one.

5. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't think young women have lower sex drive than men , I don't know the girls you know but the girls I went to school with and knew were far different .
    We are told we have lower sex drive than men ,and we only function emotionally I don't think it's true for all women maybe some ,but not the majority of women .
    It's all hug wash if you ask me , we're taught that it's bad for us to be sexual and have a sex drive or a sexuality . Ever heard of slut shaming it's a way to keep women in line .
    Women don't have lower sex drive than men that is a myth .

I use to think I was still straight because I had a low sex drive , but when I was with women I was very sexual with them not with men . My straight females were very sexual with men and I though I just have a low sex drive . It didn't hit me that I'm just not attracted to men til I started exploring my sexuality also discovered my sex drive was actually high but I was trying to like a gender I wasn't even attracted to . That's just my story though .

I know but it's not men's fault it's society I'm blaming it on because it teaches both men and women this .
    Also men are taught from young not to be emotional, they are taught not to cry and be weak , that's one of the biggest reasons some men have trouble showing emotion and don't know how to connect with others emotionally . It's not because of their gender but both based on how men and women are raised because this is how society wants us to be and the line they want to keep us in . It has zero to do with our gender and more to do with how we're raised
    Heternormality is heavily pushed in society to the point that we control how men and women act and think .

#5 stocking, Nov 30, 2014
  6. Hexagon

I don't think it's really related to gender. People's situations are too unique and varied.

7. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Apart from the enormously different ways different people go about understanding their sexuality that make it difficult to say, I would be willing to say that women are denied their sexuality more than men are.

I don't imagine it's any easier to properly figure your sexuality out when you're told it doesn't matter or whatever sexist rubbish is pulled out to tell women that their sexualities aren't real.

Then again, men face a great deal of stigma in coming out about their sexuality; while gay men are certainly acknowledged as existing (as opposed to bi, pan or ace men), it can be really difficult to admit in in the face of social pressure that says we're disgusting or immoral etc.

#7 Aussie792, Nov 30, 2014
  8. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I do think that women are denied sexuality more. It's common for a straight woman to think girls are good-looking or even call them 'sexy', but if you say anything positive about a guy you 'have' to be attracted to him. I see so many obvious lesbians come on EC and wonder if they're bi just for finding a guy good looking and nothing else.

Meanwhile, if a man does anything with another guy he's perceived as gay, while a straight woman can do EVERYTHING sexual with girls and still be seen as straight. I can understand why our ridiculous social standards make things harder for people.

9. Anongirl123

Excellent point!

10. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    This :thumbsup:
    couldn't have said it any better

11. soulcatcher

Nope. They just realise it later.

[​IMG]

12. DrinkBudweiser

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i don't believe this is true. first of all i feel like gay/bisexual girls don't receive near as much shit as gay/bisexual men. making it easier for them to explore their sexuality than guys. a lot of people remain unsure of their sexuality until they experience it all.

for example, say a girl decides to date another girl. it's not her thing, so she goes back to men. most men don't really care or want to brag that they turned her back straight. it's a little different for guys. if a guy decides to have a relationship with another man, then decides that it's not for him - there's a very large majority of straight girls that have no interest in that in a guy with that kind of past. a man dates another man and lots of people forever has it cemented into their skulls that he's gay or wants to be with a guy. a woman dates another woman, then goes back to dating a man, everyone just thinks it's a silly phase.

editor's note: the shared viewpoint above doesn't represent my PERSONAL opinion. just an opinion of how i think a lot of american's view this.

13. Ohanra

Ohanra Guest

Yep... I agree - I think it is harder for girls to know their true feelings as to wether they are lesbian or not. It has almost become 'trendy' to be seen kissing another girl now & I think some female celebs don't help by flaunting it too. I think for guys it is a little more cut & dry as it were. I think a higher percentage of girls like to experiment whereas guys seem to either want one or the other. There are always exceptions to this obviously but I think on the whole it is definately harder for a girl to differentiate between just wanting to experiment and knowing she is gay.

14. Anongirl123

OP here:

These are all really good responses, but what I was asking was whether or not there seem to be biological reasons women seem to have more sexual confusion, not societal ones.

My mother had a gay coworker once. She told me she was chatting with him, and he once told her "yes, gay men have more sex. Just because we're gay, doesn't mean we're like women - we're still guys. And guys like to have a lot of sex. So when you put two and two together, there's no stopping us!"

That always stuck with me for some reason. I was just wondering if male sexuality is a little more "cut and dry" because men (seemingly) have a strong sexual instinct to go off of, while women seem to lean more towards overanalyzing feelings and emotions. It's like the popular stereotype "men have two brains, one in their head and one in their pants, and only one works at a time" (it's crude, but it's meant to be a lighthearted joke). This high libido seems to be a pretty good guide to figuring out ones sexuality. If you don't have a very high libido, and you tend to read a lot into emotional cues and logic, I can see why figuring out your sexuality could take longer and may feel more like running in circles.

Now, the real question is whether or not males (both in human society and in nature) have a higher sex drive due to biological reasons, or if that's just a common misunderstanding and it's all learned behavior.

15. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Biologically, Men -usually- have higher sex drives but that's generally because they have more testosterone (which increases sex drive) and women have more estrogen (which decreases it). However, there are men who have higher estrogen levels (and therefore lower sex drives) and women with higher testosterone levels (therefore higher ones). A lot of lesbians do have higher testosterone levels than average, so yeah....I've met a lot of horny lesbians out there (Apparently a study showed that queer women, especially bisexuals have higher sex drives than straight women on average?)

Trust me, I may be a woman but I definitely have a high sex drive. A very very high sex drive. I actually had to take more estrogen to decrease it because it got out of hand, so figuring out things based on sex was easy for me. It just depends on the person on their hormones, and with gay people there's more of a mixture.

16. Morse Code

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've heard that womens' sexuality is more fluid but I'm sure that's not always the case.