1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on three-person relationships.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Treevine, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Treevine

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I wouldn't be willing to take part in one.
    Having said that, I'd respect anyone in this situation and wouldn't mind it either. I've even seen a case of a three person relationship raising kids and I envy the child. All the attention they must get must be so awesome.

Your thoughts? :smilewave

2. Hexagon

I'd consider it. I'm not naturally polyamorous by nature. Or even just amorous, really. But I wouldn't have a problem with it. And obviously, I don't have a problem with other people doing it. As usual, my attitude when it comes to sex relationships is simple: so long as consent has been given, do whatever the fuck you want.

3. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

Complicated.

4. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

Not for me, I would feel like a third wheel.

5. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Not for me. Monogamy only. But I find poly relationships pretty interesting and more realistic despite my view; It's impossible for just one person to please someone all the time.

6. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with them as long as everyone's on the same page (which is probably very difficult), but it's definitely not for me.

7. lb41974

lb41974 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would not want to be in one, I know a couple that tried it and it went really bad.

8. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I will not do it no way , they are not for me and I have my reasons . Hell No :dry:
    I like monogamy it works for me .

9. iiimee

I personally do not have anything against it, but I only like monogamy for myself. I like that intimate feeling you get when you and your lover are near, and you two are the only ones who seem to matter. However, I respect others decisions, I just don't want a part in them...

10. Yosia

If they are cool with it then whatever. I probably could take part in one.

11. Hexagon

Not in a three person relationship. It would be basically like a normal couple, but there being three, rather than people having multiple partners that have no ties to each other. Under those circumstances, it would be quite difficult for one partner to be unaware of another, seeing as how they'd be dating.

12. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Never had the experience, but why not, I think I wouldn't mind to try it as an experiment, and as long as it works for everyone... why not?
    Now don't ask me to call it a relationship. I'd give it another name.

13. dray7

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think as long as it's all consensual and there's good communication that it's a-okay. I'm not really looking to be in a relationship right now for my own reasons, but I wouldn't be against being in a three person relationship in the future.

14. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm fine with them, but I wouldn't want to be in one. I would get jealous. I want one girl to love who's all mine. ♥

15. Ryujin

I think I'm actually quite open to that prospect

16. Anongirl123

I think to answer this question, you need to ask if human beings are built for monogamy (if it's ultimately the most beneficial social construct for people). That's the difficult answer.

I don't think kids being raised by gay parents is bad, because children can't be "taught" to be gay. Being gay or straight is a matter of orientation, and is most likely and most often not learned (and any environmental factors are pretty small). Therefore, gay parents do not equal gay kids. Gay parents still provide an example of monogamy.

Polygamy, however, is more of a lifestyle decision because it isn't an orientation. You can be gay and polygamous or straight and polygamous. Therefore, a child raised in a polygamous household may or may not grow up with a different idea of what a good relationship should be (and they may have skewed views of what monogamy is, one on one relationships, etc.) It could get complicated, especially since polygamy isn't the norm.

Once again though, you first have to define if human beings are supposed to be monogamous by nature before you can start saying what's good and bad for children.

17. Compute

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Sexually, it's pretty much a fantasy for most people however I don't quite understand how people can truly be in a polygamous relationship. My main misunderstanding is that I define relationships as devoting yourself fully to loving another person, however I can't grasp how that would work if splitting it between multiple partners simultaneously.

18. Hexagon

I suspect monogamy is a social construct, and I don't honestly see it as particularly beneficial. Have you seen the rate of infidelity? Anyway, there's no reason a child couldn't be raised just as well by three parents instead of two. Better, perhaps. Yes, the child will get a different idea of relationships, but there's nothing wrong with that. They aren't exactly being taught that abuse or rape is the norm. There would be no problem if the children grew up expecting to be polyamorous.

And being gay isn't the norm either. You say it's different, because it isn't a choice, but I disagree. Obviously it isn't a choice, but that doesn't matter. It isn't a bad thing to be, and neither is being polyamorous.

---------- Post added 30th Nov 2014 at 11:38 PM ----------

Just because you can't understand doesn't mean it isn't real, or that it's wrong.

19. Compute

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Exactly, I don't have the experience thus understanding to make those statements, so I didn't. People are free to do whatever they are comfortable with relationship-wise so long as it is consensual and not harming anyone. Personally though, from my initial thoughts, I wouldn't be able to live in such a relationship because of that sort of division. Though I'm perfectly forward in promoting that personal belief shouldn't affect other's lives so polygamous relationships are cool for people who are able to make them work.

20. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I agree completely. Even though I'm monogamous and wouldn't like to share my partner (so I understand why many people on EC also don't) I also think monogamy is unrealistic for a lot of people (even if it isn't for me).

Take sex for example. It's a basic human need. Sometimes one partner needs it and the other partner is 'too busy/not in the mood'. When that becomes a repeat cycle, cheating and break-ups are more likely to happen. It would be like only having one best friend that doesn't have the time or energy to talk to you anymore but also tells you you're not allowed to talk to anyone else. It neglects the other person and builds up frustration.

And of course when It's about love, that's fine too because some people don't want to limit their love and need more than one boyfriend/girlfriend. In the case of parenting it can have more benefits like more money being made and more people to give the kids attention.

So in some extents (as long as both partners are okay with it) poly and open relationships have positive benefits to society. Some people like monogamy (like me) and that's okay too; there's no wrong way to have a relationship.