1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I found out that reparative therapy is still legal in my state

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by stocking, Nov 30, 2014.

1. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I was at a coming out group at the lgbt center in my town last week , they group told me that it's very important , that I should not come out to my parents unless I am financially stable . Or if my mom finds out she can put me in reparative therapy . I told them I heard it's not legal here ,but they told me that Connecticut still does reparative therapy and there are a few places here that does it and it is legal .
    I was so shocked but it made me realized there is no way I can be safe with my mom because she would do it and her friends will suggest she do it .

But I'm wondering once I move out can be fully out or do I have to still hide and what does being fully out mean , should I just tell everyone ?:confused:

2. EDMJunkie

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you have moved out and are financially stable without her, then you should be free to be as out as you want.

Being fully out, I think, would be something along the lines of answering "yes" every time somebody asks you about it. Not denying accusations and being open to people. It becomes your decision whether or not to tell people.

Once you're 18 and have moved out and are financially independent, you're no longer under the control of your parents.

Unless there are anti-discriminatory laws in CT that encompass LGBT+ individuals, you could still be harassed at work or fired for your orientation, or attacked by homophobes that would only be charged with assault instead of it being viewed as a hate crime.

EDIT: After some research, I've found that CT does in fact have those kinds of anti-discrimination laws in place. So disregard that part of my post.

#2 EDMJunkie, Nov 30, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  3. Andronas

You're over 18. Unless you still have a legal guardian for some reason like the presence of a form of autism or something, you cannot be forced into reparative therapy.

If your mom gives you an ultimatum: go to reparative therapy or get out, then that choice is up to you. Because you're over 18, your mother/family has no legal responsibility to house you. I personally keep things hidden from my family lol.

#3 Andronas, Nov 30, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2014