1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you believe insects have feelings?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ChloeKiss, Nov 30, 2014.

1. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

I know this is a strange question to some but.. honestly do you believe they do? I personally do. I have taken a shower before and an insect somehow managed to get in there and I picked it up gently and put it back outside the shower. I'm the same with alot of creatures.

But my mums boyfriend has cut a cockroach inhalf infront of me before.. I know they are pests but c'mon that's so cruel. I also don't like killing spiders even though they scare me.

So people.. do you believe insects have feelings?

2. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not sure if they have feelings as such, but I try and treat every living creature with respect. :slight_smile: I feel bad if I kill anything unnecessarily!

3. warholwendy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  4. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

Okay true.. Honestly I think i'm the exact same way.. I don't really know if they have feelings but I treat them with respect. After all.. they are smaller then me. I just feel cruel killing them.

5. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I believe that all living things have feelings.

6. Quiet Raven

I think they do. At least, I always treat them as if they do.

So many people I see just feel the need to kill every single insect they see. I just don't get it... If they aren't bothering you just leave them alone. Jeez...

7. EDMJunkie

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Most of the time, I don't mind them. I can deal with them when I'm outside or in the woods and stuff.

But if I see them in my house, it's over.

I shall show them no mercy.

Especially if it flies.

But besides that, I'm fine with them. I don't think there's any evidence supporting the accusation that they harbor emotion. If there was some, I might consider changing my ways.

8. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Maybe.

I really hope plants can suffer, too.

9. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

If I'm outside, I'll either avoid or, if I have to, move the said insect. It isn't fair to, just, swat or crush them. They're just doing insect things...

Now, there is one exception to this. If I ever find an insect, especially a spider, in my bed, then that's that. They should know better!

10. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Actually, see, I kinda like spiders. I don't know why; I'm just kind of silly like that. I hate bees, wasps and yellow jackets. I'll kill the fuck out of those things. But spiders are the win. ^^

11. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You might change your mind should you ever go camping in Australia.

--

As for the question: Yes, I believe that they do. I don't think they have complex emotions in the same way mammals (especially humans) do, but they definitely have physical feelings, and I remember my bio teacher from two years ago saying that some insects are thought to experience some of the most basic emotions, if you can use the word.

#11 Aussie792, Nov 30, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  12. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Yes, those can be quite annoying. Especially the ones that, for whatever reason, like to hover around your head, all day.

13. deadman1204

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not the way we do.
    But torturing them would still feel terrible and wrong to me. I don't like to see anything suffer

14. DinelodiiGitli

I think so though most likely not to the capacity we do. They are sentient beings who (according to most) feel some level of pain so therefore I leave the majority of them alone (unless it's a mosquito or flea because they pose a threat to my dog).

15. Aldrick

I once saw an ant shed a single teardrop as I committed a horrific act of genocide against his fellow brothers and sisters. Then I killed him, too. That will send a message to the others of their kind: Stay OUT of my kitchen!

In all seriousness, I do not think insects have feelings. They lack the higher neurological brain capacity for that to be possible. Though, I suppose it is possible that they could feel something akin to what we would experience as fear. The reasons for this are obvious, since such a basic emotion would protect them from harm. That is the evolutionary advantage of the fight or flight response.

However, more complicated emotions than fight or flight? I find that hard to believe. What little brain function an insect has is probably limited to governing its autonomic nervous system. That means if the insect were a human, we would likely be declaring him/her/other brain dead.

16. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    If I find an insect in the house I will try to put in out the window wherever possible. The exception is wasps, who are fucking evil. Unlike bees who only sting if they feel they absolutely need to, wasps will sting you over and over again just for the hell of it, and also release a scent that invites other stripey bastards to join in the fun! Interesting fact: Parasitic Wasps were the inspiration for the film Alien, due to their habit of turning caterpillars into zombie like hosts for their eggs. Seeing this cycle made Darwin question the existence of god. Google them if you want to learn some really weird and interesting nature stuff.

17. Tardis2020

This isn't really an opinion question.
    Short answer: They do not have feelings
    Long answer: Since they do not have a brain (only masses of neurons called ganglia), they lack the part of the brain needed for emotions and emotional responses, they do feel pain, or at least they react to it. Really the only feeling they feel is lust (when looking for a mate) and anger (when defending themselves or a hive), but both of those are also debatable.
    However, I always treat insects with kindness. Unless they can be used as food for one of my mantises, in which case the only insect I'm kind to is the mantis. Also mosquitoes can all go burn in hell.

18. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To put it simply, no.

To complicate it, they do have nerves I believe and basic responses to threats and pain, but I am not sure those reactions are any more than automatic reactions to avoid getting killed/eaten. I don't think they have any feelings nearly close to that of humans or other animals. It really depends how you define feelings. Do they respond to stimulus? Yes. Do they actually experience and have conscious thoughts of these reactions? Highly Doubtful. Are they capable of complex emotions? No.

Edit: Just noticed the person above me practically said the same thing. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

19. Jwis

This pretty much sums it up for me too.
    They aren't capable of emotion.

20. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

Okay thanks guys!