1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roommate pet peeves

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by DrinkBudweiser, Nov 30, 2014.

1. DrinkBudweiser

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    before i say anything, i just want to say that i'm pretty sure i love my roommate more than anyone else in this world. she's my best friend, we never fight, she always has my back. it's a perfect combination. i'm not exactly the neatest person to live with, so her pet peeves probably stack up much higher than mine.

BUT, let me tell you something I CAN'T FUCKING STAND.
    every single day i open the fridge and there is some sort of pan in there with something she cooked within the last couple days. i understand if you bake a fucking cherry pie and therefore, the pan you baked it in is in the fridge. but i'm talking like... making mac n cheese on the stove and literally putting the pan containing the leftovers in the fridge. it could be anything. she scrambles eggs and doesn't eat all of it? the skillet is in the fridge. and yes, we have all the bowls, tuber-ware, etc. in the world to put leftover food in. before anyone asks.
    ...... god, just wanted to rant about that. that's not normal, is it?

what are your pet peeves with your roommate? (or, previous roommates?)

2. TeaCupQueer

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I had this friend who lived with me for a while and she wasn't the cleanest person in terms of personal hygiene. When she moved in she decided to take a bath and I went to keep her company and she rubbed the bar of soap all over her body. I can't stand that whether someone is clean or dirty. Anyway later found out she was a bitch and that friendship ended.

3. Joelouis

There were four if us in a house and everyone got on really well.
    That was until this girl moved in and literally caused hassle for everyone else.
    Another found the new housemate never washed her plates or cutlery up, but instead just put it in her cupboard with the leftover food on.
    She never once helped cleaned the house and would scowl at you if you dared to say "Good morning"!

4. pigpassport

pigpassport Guest

Last year I lived with a girl who was just messy as all hell and the bathroom was a state because of her. And the kitchen. And the hallway.
    Anyway this year my main annoyance is actually my friends boyfriend and a lot of little things he does because he's at our flat so much but I won't get into that now. Of my actual flatmates one of them eats disgustingly noisily and with her mouth open half the time. Apples and grapes are the worst. Sometimes I can't even stand to be in the same room as her when she's eating I just ugh nope

5. CyanChachki

When they wake up at around 5 am and start talking around 6:30. This isn't just small, quiet talking.. that I could deal with. This is like loud, outside voice/social event talking and sometimes, they start fighting. I can hear them straight through the floor boards and through my ear plugs.

Another thing is house work. I don't mind doing it in general. I don't mind vaccuming 2-3 times a week, doing the dishes, doing my laundry - whatever.. but being asked to do it every day all day is not my cup of tea. I'm usually very tired before I go to bed and some nights, I don't feel like doing the dishes and my initial thought is to do them when I get up. There are cups and plates in the cupboard, I make sure of it.. but my effing lord. If I dare do it, it's like world war three. I "must" do this because of reasons. I must do the dishes before they wake up because if I don't they're simply "unhappy".

Thank lanta I'm moving out on my own soon.

6. Quiet Raven

I love with a couple who are always fighting with each other. Yelling at each other almost every day. Sometimes even after midnight. That is more then a little bit annoying.

7. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My roommate liked to call her boyfriend before she went to bed. Every night. She had to talk to him or she couldn't sleep. The problem was she often didn't go to bed until midnight or later. These calls were rarely short good nights. She could talk to him for an hour or more. Her "I'm trying to be quiet" voice was really high-pitched and whiny. This was in the dorms so I was basically sleeping six feet away.

Though still better than when her boyfriend came to stay with us. It was before spring break and I thought he'd just be staying for the weekend so I agreed. He came up the entire week before. I stayed out until two in the morning almost every night because I dreaded going back to my room. We agreed on a signal if they were having sex and I'd go back to my room and find it at the most inconvenient times possible. Luckily I had wonderful friends by then who were willing for me to leave my stuff in their rooms so I didn't have to carry it around everywhere.

She also locked me in the bathroom on more than one occasion. Each dorm room was attached to another through the bathroom. For security purposes, the bathroom doors only locked and unlocked from the outside. I'd go in to take a shower and she'd, out of habit, spot that the door was unlocked and lock it. There were a couple of times she did this and then left.

8. Gallatin

One of my roommates in college did that. I feel your pain. It was so frustrating.

Some of my biggest pet peeves were, in no particular order, making an absolute mess in the kitchen and not cleaning it up (while using my cookware, mind you), not using the little fan thing in the shower that sucks the humidity out (how hard is it to flip a switch?!), and leaving lights on everywhere. But my biggest pet peeve? Slamming the door shut when entering/exiting the apartment. Every. Single. Time.

9. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A friend of mine had a roommate like that. She boiled a pot of water dry, tried making lasagna on the stove, and tried making Mac and Cheese by boiling the pasta, butter, milk, and cheese mix altogether in a vat of water.

10. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't have much counter space and my roommate leaves all kinds of shit on the kitchen counter without putting it away. Grrrr.

Also, it drives me crazy when people take things out of the microwave before the time is up and don't clear the remaining time off.

11. Ned B

I had roommates for 6 years of college, so I have a lot of them from various roommates:

1. The guy who would cut his toe nails then leave the clipping on the table
    2. The guy who couldn't be bothered to put his groceries in a cabinet in a kitchen that didn't have much counter space -- I was always shoving things out of the way.
    3. The same guy who thought he could come into our shared bedroom at 2 am and turn on heavy metal music to help him sleep.
    4. The guy who would cook something then leave the dirty pan on the stove for days until I finally just washed it myself. He would also let stews boil over and harden on the stovetop and never clean them
    5. The guy who would invite a bunch of friends over for late-night partying on a weekday without at least giving a warning.

At least I always lived in apartments rather than dorm rooms, so there was always a little space and privacy.

12. Quiet Raven

OMG. Ok. Just wanna point out... I made a typo. I Live with that couple. I do not love with that couple...

Also I have one more thing I want to mention. My first roomate had. She was OK during my time living with her. But she turns into a real bitch just a couple months later. Not only does she just kick me out of the apartment to make room for her boyfriend, but when I start to pack my stuff up to move to my new place, I need to take 2 trips. I tell her I'll be back for the rest of my stuff later that day. I come back and see all my stuff dumped outside my room, and she gets angry at me for leaving "a mess". Yeah...
    Also, I still had a week left to move out. So its not like I was late leaving.

13. Bloodwalker

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    * The time when my omnivore roommate kept on using my wooden cutting board for cutting meat products, despite of me asking not to (I'm a vegetarian, going vegan, and don't appreciate my wooden cookware being used for preparing raw meat).

* The other time when another roommate suggested that I should move out, because I had taken up a serious outdoor activity hobby (which, after several years, has now turned into a very important part of my lifestyle) and didn't have as much time to spend for socializing and partying with her.

* Oh, and what about the time when yet another roommate insisted on letting my cat outside all the time (an unspayed young female at the time, ready to be taken to the vet for neutering), because he thought that I'm cruel for not letting her experience "true love and family". Later I found her locked in his room with a stray tomcat, whom he had let inside on purpose. Crazy people...

Remembering these things makes me appreciate my current, fantastic roommate even more. We have our differences, of course, but we have a shared view on living together responsibly.

14. bicomplicated

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My roomy and I get along mostly. But a few things annoy me. When I wash cups, I put them in the cabinet upright. When she washes cups, she puts them in the cabinet upside down. That just seems like you are trapping germs that might be on your cabinet in your cup to me! Maybe I am crazy lol. But I always fip the cups back upright. Also, it annoys me if she uses my stuff without asking or eats food I buy without asking. Also, when she invites people to party when I have to work the next morning without telling me in advance. AND the majority of the times I clean up after said parties. Ticks me off a bit.

15. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have 6 male roommates, so you can imagine what I have to deal with.

I have a roommate who puts food still in the pan in the fridge, often uncovered. I HATE it. And since I'm the cleanest one, I have to deal with all their crap. My other roommate leaves his weed crap all over the dining table; I find joint butts scattered about, along with ash. Another roommate often takes off his shoes right by the front door, so people trip over them, and another one who would make rice in the rice cooker and not put it away, so it would get moldy...

But I love these guys :grin: They're just not perfect :wink:

16. whereamigoing

My little sister and i share a bathroom. which is torture
    1: leaving that little thing you pull up to make the shower go instead of the bath, and then when your done you push it down, she leaves that thing up. Which leads to me turning it on and then screaming because it is cold.
    2: getting toothpaste all over the cap. its freaking gross
    3:taking all of the good storage space then complaining to my mom so i lose even more room.
    4:leaving no hot water after a half hour shower.
    5: claiming literally every brush i had as her own. i hate sharing brushes. its gross and shes a little kid that may get lice, ew.
    6:leaving her dirty underwear on the floor instead of in the nearby basket
    7:making the floor a mini replica of hurricane katrina
    8:not flushing
    9: not replacing the tp roll once its all out
    10: leaving her crap all around the sink and throwing my crap on the floor.

i cannot stand this crap...