1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Grinch!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HuskyPup, Dec 1, 2014.

?

The Grinch!

1. I support the Grinch's efforts to steal Christmas

16 vote(s)
    32.0%
  2. I'm glad he didn't steal Christmas

27 vote(s)
    54.0%
  3. I have a crush on the Grinch.

7 vote(s)
    14.0%
  1. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Myself, I'm not a huge fan of Christmas, for many reasons:

One, it reminds me how broke I am, and makes me jealous how I don't get presents, and am too broke to give them. Then, everyone leaves town to see their family, and I'm generally alone.

So when I saw The Grinch that Stole Christmas, I loved it, but thought it had a sad ending...Christmas came after all.

Personally, I wish the Grinch would steal Christmas.

Any other Grinch sympathizers out there?

2. Theboythat

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm Jewish. :eusa_dancSteal the Christmas, Grinch!

3. essie

I love him and his green furry fingers! I love Christmas but I would totally let him steal it from the Whos.

4. iiimee

I'd help him steal Christmas as long as he saves some of that mistle-toe for me :wink:

5. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The Grinch is cool but the Whos are awesome--every time they sing that stupid song because Christmas came any way I cry like a little girl...

G*d, I love Christmas...

6. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Practical observation: there is no way in hell The Grinch Who Stole Christmas would have been a viable property if the Grinch had actually stolen it. The original book would have been unsalable. The TV special would have never been made. You could get away with that theme now, but probably only in an adult movie.

That said...

Part of me agrees. Like you, HuskyPup, I don't have much of a Christmas ever. I'm totally alone. I probably won't even have anything even remotely resembling a holiday party. And don't even get me started on the "broke" thing....

Because of the realities in my life, I do rather like dark Christmas fare sometimes. I really enjoy The Ref, which has lots of family dysfunction along the way, which somehow seems more familiar to me than the picture painted in a Motion Picture Production Code era movie. I watch some of those, and think that even though I'm not diabetic maybe I should have some insulin handy to deal with the blood sugar spike from the overly sweet movie plot.

I also really like Bad Santa.

At the same time, however, part me does have to think that it's best the Grinch failed. Part of is happy that someone still has Christmas even if I don't.

And to end another practical note: one thing one does not want to do in a children's book or movie is upset the little brats. Can you imagine the nightmare parents would have if their six year old saw The Grinch actually steal Christmas? And believed it? Of course, the non-stop screaming might be a good lesson about the Value of Contraception...but I guess that's another discussion.

7. Brenndo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Christmas is a capitalist holiday with the purpose to perpetuate consumerism and greed. All positive and joyous aspects of the holiday have been lost.

And the birth of Jesus was never meant to be celebrated. It celebrates the birth of a human being, rather than the divine God he was. Before, the Epiphany was celebrated which celebrates the "epiphany" of the magi to realize the new king was born... the Divine God King.

ANYWAY... Christmas is just an excuse by retail outlets to sell you stuff so you go into debt so you have to work harder so you can buy stuff next Christmas.

DUN DUN DUN [I am the Grinch]

8. BelleFromHell

I'd love it if he stole Christmas, personally. I'll even help him! :lol:

9. Clancularius

Clancularius Guest

Wow, the grinch has a good sized group to call if he ever decides to steal Christmas :slight_smile:, I'll join the grinch's army!

10. ChameleonSoul

I'm all for it! Christmas is just another way for corporations to rip off people even more. I'm also pretty sure that holidays involving family will be negative for me in the future when I come out to them (sorry about the sob story). So yeah, I'll gladly join his anti-Christmas army!

11. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    A lot of you guys are playing the capitalist-Christmas/money card in support of the Grinch. And I agree in the sense that, even though the Christmas things were all gone, Christmas came anyways because Christmas isn't things, it's community, love, and cheer. I know I sound like a 5 year old reciting what their mommy told them, but I genuinely love Christmas because of this!

I'm going to quote the Grinch. "Maybe Christmas, he thought... doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas, perhaps... means a little bit more!" :slight_smile:

12. Hexagon

Strong supporter. In fact, the character was probably based on me.

#12 Hexagon, Dec 2, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  13. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, this cheers me up! I never thought I'd see so many Grinch supporters!

14. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never seen The Grinch. Although I've found christmas to be a bit stressful since a young age. I'll tell you how little christmas spirit I have! I hate christmas music. I hate christmas adverts. I hate christmas traffic. I hate christmas crowds. The only good things are parties. In fact, so far, I've only agreed to attend one party because they aren't playing christmas music.

15. Hexagon

We ought to team up. Actually wage the war on christmas we've been accused of waging for the last decade.

16. titanV

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No, not really because he reminds me of jury duty. There is this scene in the movie where he throws letters inside mailboxes saying jury duty, jury duty.. Guess what, last year I got the damn jury duty summon right before Christmas Eve. I know it was him!:icon_bigg

Ohh I found it.
    [YOUTUBE]WRukOo6-v4M[/YOUTUBE]

17. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wish the Grinch were more moderate and sought instead to reform Christmas. He tried for too much, and it led to a disappointing failure.

18. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

When I think of The Grinch, it's the animated television special version, that I think of.

While I don't like what Christmas has become to many, there are still a few good folks, that I believe it worth keeping.

Besides, buying a television in a Black Friday deal, then returning it post-New Year's for the full and original price, is a lot more effective way of battling the capitalistic corruption, that plagues Christmas, than robbing one single town blind.

Step yo' game up, Grinch!

LOL.

19. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nah, I like Christmas. Admittedly I mostly cared about presents as a kid (I was spoilt rotten, I'm ashamed to say), but that aspect of Christmas becomes less important as you get colder, and these days we just exchange small gifts. I just enjoy the lights, decorations, food and spending time with family and friends.

20. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love the idea! You always hear Fox news and those right-wingers wailing on and on about this alleged 'War on Christmas'...it would be fun, as you say, to actually give them something to cry about! I get so sick of hearing Christian extremists cry about how put upon they are, and how they're suffering so many abuses.

Besides, most of the ways the holiday are celebrated are more pagan than Christian (The tree, presents, flames...) If anything, pagans should be angry they co-opted the holiday, and made it more gloomy.

Saw this today, and had to laugh. (or cry)

Fox news and war on Cristmas