1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Literature

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Alabastair, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Alabastair

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am about to go out and buy some books that have gay characters in it. Its helping me to accept myself, for some reason. *shrugs* I have read all of Hartinger's books (and they were fawesome!) but has anyone read any of these and did you dislike/like them? Are there any others I should get?

A Home at the End of the World by Michael Cunningham
    The Nightrunner Series by Lynn Flewelling
    Annie on my Mind by Nancy Garden
    Kissing Kate by Lauren Myracle
    Keeping You A Secret by Julie Ann Peters
    Substitute for Love by Karen Kallmaker
    Rubyfruit by Rita Mae Brown

Also, does anyone know about the rules for purchasing written erotica underaged in America?

I am sorry if there are bunches of threads like this one already. My apologies.

2. biisme

I would try something by Alex Sanchez. I like his books.

As for the erotica, I don't know about buying it, but you can always use the internet.

3. MusicIsLife

Alex sanchez is awesome to the max, and try Well of Lonliness by Radclyffe Hall as well, shes an awesome author [and that book caused a TON of controversy when it came out :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:]

4. BlueRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As far as actual gay literature (as in, has actually been published), I have read a grand total of two books, one of which I did not enjoy and would prefer to never mention again. The other, though, was thoroughly enjoyable (to me, at least). At Swim, Two Boys. By Jamie O'Neill.

5. jbb1236

Some other gay books, I loved Leave Myself Behind by Bart Yates, there are some other ones, Christopher Rice has some good murder/mystery books. Let me know if you want to know some others that i've read.

6. Psychedelic Bookmarks

"Girl meets boy" by Ali Smith is very good. Also I recommend "Women of the Silk" by Gail Tsukiyama. As for erotica, that's what the internet is for, silly :wink:

7. Alabastair

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I know, but sometimes having a physical book where you can mark your favorite pages and have with you is way better than any website. Ah well, my imagination suffices.

I got lots ofbooks yesterday at the store. When I was flipping through a book, someone I knew walked by so I spun around really fast and pretended to be looking at a different shelf of books. She gave me a funny look but kept on walking. I looked at the shelf I was standing infront of, and it was the erotica section (I ended up not looking at it in the end because those books are way overpriced and raunchy. sigh). oops. I dunno what she thinks of me now...

On an other note, the book 'Same Sex in the City (So Your Prince Charming Is Really a Cinderella' by Lauren Levin and Lauren Blitzer is really helpful. I would recommend it to people looking for a book on coming to terms with their sexuality.