1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ideas for a Bible verse in my story

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tardis221B, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Tardis221B

So I'm writing a short 2-3 page story about a girl who lives in the Bible belt and is trying to come out to her mom.

Her family is very religious and there is a psalm (or other bible verse) tacked on the kitchen wall that makes her anxious when she reads it. However I don't know what the verse is yet, as I'm not from a religious family and I don't know many bible verses.

But, for those of you who are more religious or come from religious families can you think of any particular bible verse, quote, or psalm, that makes you particularly uncomfortable, or would make a closeted person feel guilty or nervous (not including leviticus).

Thanks in advance for the feedback.(*hug*) Hope you all are having a fantastic week.

2. DrinkBudweiser

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i can't think of anything i could give a fuck less about than the bible. i'm going to hell, i'm just hoping at this point that my life can serve as a warning to others.

however, i'll be a productive member of society and provide these:

Leviticus 18:22
    "Do not practice homosexuality, having sex with another man as with a woman. It is a detestable sin."

Leviticus 20:13
    "If a man practices homosexuality, having sex with another man as with a woman, both men have committed a detestable act. They must both be put to death, for they are guilty of a capital offense."

3. mangotree

Maybe something about the acceptance of homosexuality being a sign of the "End of days".
    e.g. Luke 17:28-30 ... 'Likewise also as it was in the days of Lot; they did eat, they drank, they bought, they sold, they planted, they builded; But the same day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven, and destroyed them all. Even thus shall it be in the day when the Son of man is revealed.
    (Relgious people often associate the story of the fall of Sodom and Gomorrah with homosexuality)

4. Tardis221B

@Mangotree: Hmm interesting, maybe. . . are there any that you can think of that are more subtle, perhaps hints at upholding traditional values or about the ideal/ perfect family?

5. mangotree

There's also one that's a little bit leviticus-like ... but it's not subtle:

Romans 1:26-27
    "Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error."

Here's one on traditions:
    1 Corinthians 11:1-2
    "Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ. Now I commend you because you remember me in everything and maintain the traditions even as I delivered them to you."

Here's one on traditional family:
    Ephesians 5:22-28
    Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife even as Christ is the head of the church, his body, and is himself its Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit in everything to their husbands.
    Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, so that he might present the church to himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish. In the same way husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself.

Or here's a Christian poem (I think) that isn't in the bible that a lot of people have on their fridges and walls:

Footprints in the Sand
    One night I dreamed a dream.
    As I was walking along the beach with my Lord.
    Across the dark sky flashed scenes from my life.
    For each scene, I noticed two sets of footprints in the sand,
    One belonging to me and one to my Lord.

After the last scene of my life flashed before me,
    I looked back at the footprints in the sand.
    I noticed that at many times along the path of my life,
    especially at the very lowest and saddest times,
    there was only one set of footprints.

This really troubled me, so I asked the Lord about it.
    "Lord, you said once I decided to follow you,
    You'd walk with me all the way.
    But I noticed that during the saddest and most troublesome times of my life,
    there was only one set of footprints.
    I don't understand why, when I needed You the most, You would leave me."

He whispered, "My precious child, I love you and will never leave you
    Never, ever, during your trials and testings.
    When you saw only one set of footprints,
    It was then that I carried you."

#5 mangotree, Dec 2, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  6. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sounds like you need a harsh bible verse but something that's not explicitly anti-homosexual (most conservative people don't really use Leviticus as something to tack onto a wall, unless they know someone is LGBT). From Ezekiel, Chapter 18, verses 25-28.

"Thus says the LORD:
    You say, "The LORD's way is not fair!"
    Hear now, house of Israel:
    Is it my way that is unfair, or rather, are not your ways unfair?
    When someone virtuous turns away from virtue to commit iniquity, and dies,
    it is because of the iniquity he committed that he must die.
    But if he turns from the wickedness he has committed,
    he does what is right and just,
    he shall preserve his life;
    since he has turned away from all the sins that he has committed,
    he shall surely live, he shall not die."

7. Spider

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone