1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Glasses wearers: do you think your eyes look bad/smaller without glasses?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Anongirl123, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Anongirl123

I've heard of this phenomenon before, and I was wondering if anyone could attest to it.

Apparently, people who regularly wear glasses and get used to seeing themselves with glasses tend to think their eyes look smaller without glasses. People who regularly wear glasses may feel they look strange/oddly-proportioned without them.

Does this seem to be true? I wore glasses for many years, and only about 3 months ago switched to contacts almost full time. Even though 3 months have passed, I still can't help but feel like my eyes look small and tired without frames. Even when I wear eye makeup, something just looks "off" (like my eyes aren't proportioned right for my face). My sister says I'm the only one who thinks that, so I'll try and believe it :lol:

This can actually lead into a bit of a broader question. Do you think people's insecurities are only visible to them? There are plenty of people out there who say "I hate my face shape" or "I have a bad smile, it makes me look stupid" and similar negative statements. Their friends and family, however, usually tend to say "I don't know what you're talking about, you look fine". Are these people telling a little white lie to sound friendly? Or do you think we really are the only ones who overanalyze and notice our flaws.

2. omg yes yes yes
    worn glasses for about 7 years, and I can't see a thing without them...
    whenever I take them off to wipe them or something, people comment like " wow your eyes are so pretty" or "you look so different" or "you should get contacts" (which I can't because I have special like weird lenses for my crap eyes) but whatever its weird, I feel like I'm not myself without them at this point haha :wink:

3. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I dunno. I've had my glasses for about a month. I don't see a huge difference but then again I have astigmatism so I can definitely go glasses free when I want to.

Definitely think sometimes we're the only people who really notice our flaws. For one, we're so familiar with what we look like that it's easy to nitpick minor issues. And two, I think low self esteem combined with people's tendency to be a little self centric (self centric isn't necessarily a negative thing- it's human nature) kind of helps contribute to that mindset. It's like when you walk into a room and you think people are going to be analyzing you. No. No one is going to care. But we still do worry about how we'll be perceived anyway because humans are social animals.

4. Acm

Acm Guest

I don't think my eyes look smaller but I think I look better in general with glasses

5. HageshiLikesAnime

I do think I look better when I am wearing my glasses but I never do wear my glasses because I always take them off in the strangest of places and I can never find them when I go to put them on again

6. Hiems

I have a slight lazy eye that is apparent when very tired. If I wear glasses, then it becomes even more noticeable.

I only use them when necessary. For instance, my myopia requires me to wear glasses while taking notes during PowerPoint lectures. Even sitting really close to the projector screen won't suffice because my vision sucks.

I try to refrain from wearing glasses, especially at social events.

7. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I opened this because ten minutes ago my dad lost his glasses and now we're frantically looking everywhere for them :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I don't wear glasses but I do think people who've worn them for a long time look a little disproportionate without them. Maybe it's just a question of getting used to it.

8. Leonardo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I look so awful without glasses.
    Well, even more awful than usual.
    My eyes are too close together and it annoys me so much.

9. The Virgo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I look good with them on and off

10. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm a glasses wear and I think my eyes look bigger without them , and I hate wearing them I look much better without them .
    I'm wearing them as I type right now .

11. mangotree

I make passes at guys who wear glasses.
    I'd suggest learning to use them to your advantage.
    You can change your appearence quite drastically just by changing between glasses and contacts. Potential lovers can often find that exciting.

12. iamjustababy

iamjustababy Active Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have large eyes already. And get called bug eyes quite frequently. So glasses don't help what so ever. So I think I look better without them.

13. Toast8971

I don't really think my eyes are any different. I know that if I ever get contacts or something I'm gonna keep pushing at my eyes thinking there's glasses there that I need to push up. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. Jethro702

I have had my glasses for oh 6 ish years... I think I look weird without them on :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

15. Miles16

Miles16 Guest

Yes. My face looks weird without them

16. rhapsodic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know if they definitely look smaller, but I just don't like the way glasses look on me. My eyes, in my opinion, are my best feature, and glasses seem to cover them up and make them less noticeable. People always tell me I look so much better without glasses and that my eyes are so pretty, so that's why I prefer not wearing glasses.

I have noticed that for people with smaller eyes, especially Asians, their eyes look even smaller. I'm not really sure why that is though.

I do know that for people with higher prescriptions, the lenses sometimes magnify their eyes.

And before any of you call me racist, it's common sense that some Asian races have smaller eyes. I'm not saying that's a bad thing though.

17. BelleFromHell

It really depends on the glasses. I wear hipster glasses because I have a big head and most other glasses make my eyes look HUGE. I wear contacts when I can, though, as I have an oily face, and glasses tend to get very greasy and disgusting if I leave them on my face for too long (especially the area that rests on the sinus).

18. Silver Springs

My eyesight is absolutely terrible; if I didn't have vision correction, I think I would have been a goner long ago. I usually wear glasses, and I think they make me look smarter. I have started wearing contacts some of the time, and the reaction is either that I look great, or that I should put my glasses back on.

19. Spider

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I actually prefer how I look without my glasses, because you can see my eyes better

Try not to worry about the things you can't change and always remember to treat yourself with the same courtesy you'd treat a stranger with. Do you honestly look at someone and think to yourself "Look at her! My god! One of her nostrils is slightly larger than the other! What a hideous creature!" If you don't think that about strangers, then they probably don't notice or care about your little flaws either. So you should try not to be so hard on yourself.

20. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Strong prescription lenses do make the eyes look larger (if far-sighted) or smaller (if near-sighted). Once people get used to seeing you that way with glasses, they may notice the difference when you're without glasses (wearing contacts, or wearing nothing).
    Personally I think some people look as good or better with their glasses than with contacts, it's probably a question of finding a frame with the right shape/size/colour.