1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling uncomfortable

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Emily1, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Emily1

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Does anyone else feel super awkward when your family mentions anything about your sexual orientation?

I'm fully out as bisexual to my entire family but I can't help but feel super awkward when they say things like "when are you getting a boyfriend or girlfriend." Something about them knowing that I'm sexually attracted to girls makes me terribly uncomfortable, yet I am completely at ease when talking about boys. Will I ever feel comfortable talking to them about girls?:confused:

2. Ohanra

Ohanra Guest

My mum doesnt talk about it, accepts it but doesnt like it - she only ever met one of my girlfriends and she ended up in tears so I havent bothered since. My sister knows my sexuality too but has asked me not to talk about it or bring it up in front of her children. Dad moved away because I was gay and I havent spoken to him for 11 years...

In short, it just doesnt get mentioned in my family and I've kinda got used to the whole thing, its not great I know but that's the way it is and it works.

3. Bella Vampire

My family doesn't know, but I think one of the two friends I am out to feels uncomfortable being around me at times.

4. Hemlock

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    My mom doesn't know, but when she suspects, it's very obvious, and it's very uncomfortable.

5. C P

C P

My family doesn't know but the thought of a situation like that makes me uncomfortable, so I'd say it definitely would be if they did.

6. the haunted

Eh maybe a little bit. It's mainly because I'm in fear of making someone them uncomfortable. I don't want my parents or other family to feel uneasy talking about girls with me. So yeah, I'm uncomfortable with making people uncomfortable haha.

Only my close family knows I'm gay though. It's on Facebook, but I don't expect extended family to browse my profile. I don't see them but once a year so I'm sure they've forgotten all about me until next Thanksgiving. I don't really feel the need to come out to them until they meet a girl I'm dating. Even then I'll just be like, "this is my girlfriend, __."

The only family I ever talk about my sexuality with is my brother and my mom. My dad is too awkward to handle it lol.

7. Emily1

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning

8. Rancid

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not usually brought up in my family, but when it is, I get very uncomfortable because it's usually followed by some homophobic response.

Regarding your situation, it may just be the stigma often attached to liking someone of the same sex. That can certainly take a while to get over. I think I'm still getting over it a bit myself; almost finished! x'D But yeah, it sounds like you're worried about potentially causing a rise from someone who would certainly mind? Correct me if I'm wrong. But in that case I'm inclined to say it's their problem, not yours ;p