1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philosophy of Life

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Justinian20, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Justinian20

What is your philosophy of life

Here is mine:

Man has been put in the world to discover things, grand things. Life is all about discovery, you discover and journey through life and those things that you discover and find may lead you to being truly happy as a person and even finding out who you are is a major part of this philosophy.

My philosophy of life fits in well with who I am as a person.

2. SomeLeviathan

I'm not an existentialist but on the other hand I don't subscribe to teleology either.

ethically I'm a deontologist Rawlsian and tend to act in such a manner.

3. The Virgo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Live life without fear or regret once you learn who you are and what you are you will be able to live life to the fullest

4. IrishEyes1989

I like your philosophy! Personally, I don't really have a philosophy that I live by or believe in regarding the meaning of life or our purpose as human beings. I've entertained different theories in my mind over the years, as I think most people have. I just feel that it is too big a question for us to be able to answer - what is the meaning of life? It's one that has been pondered throughout human history, but it remains unanswerable because the human mind can only theorize. Each of us as individuals may have experiences in our lives that colour our perceptions, feelings, and beliefs about our existence but they are all subjective and therefore impossible to prove or disprove.

Instead of trying to figure out why we're here, I like to focus on what we know we can do to make life better for the greatest number of people. I think that we, as the human race, need to become more connected to our innate good qualities - empathy, love, understanding, etc. - and channel them towards the betterment of this world. We are capable of so much better than what this world has become. It is all within our power, as human beings with free will, to make the world more peaceful, equal, and prosperous for everyone.

I was just thinking as I was writing the above paragraph about your philosophy and in that context, I guess I would have to say that I think our purpose in life is to use our free will and inner goodness to work together and make the world the best it can be.

5. DrinkBudweiser

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    *patiently waits for an insanely indepth post by Hexagon*

6. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My duty is to put more energy back into the world than it put into me.

We go through life learning, struggling, and in some cases being aimless, trying to find our true calling. I believe my true calling is to be a protector. So I try to address concerns of importance to those who suffer and to better myself physically, intellectually, and ethically while I engage the forces that seek to destroy beauty in the world.

If I can put the right amount of energy into that, I will have overall lived a good life.

~ Adrienne

7. Spider

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is no evil in the world. People only hurt each other when their needs aren't met. Often times people will adopt maladaptive habits that continue to hurt themselves as they try to meet these needs, or worse they hurt others. The worst villains are often victims themselves. Most people are hurt when their own actions don't meet their ideals and will try to rationalize their actions in order to justify them. Nobody really wants to do anything they believe is wrong. If they do, they suffer a mental condition and are again victims themselves. As such, people are victims of their surroundings and cannot logically be punished for their actions.

That's actually more of a philosophy on the nature of humans....and likely incredibly naive.

8. Gen

Gen

I sympathize with the desire to seek some sense of purpose or meaning in life. There is comfort in the theory that no life exists without reason, but I have always felt that the lack of reason and purpose that comes with the various events that we experience to carry the most beauty and meaning. It is the lack of purpose and reason in life and death and the fragility of it all as a result that makes it the most worth living in my eyes. The most worth appreciating.

I will continue to strive to have an impact on the world that I live in; however, I don't believe that purpose behind my creation was to be impactful anymore than I believe the purpose of the lives who are ended without ever truly having been lived were meant to be frivolous.

9. Silver Springs

Let nothing disturb you,
    Let nothing frighten you,
    All things are passing away:
    God never changes.
    Patience obtains all things
    Whoever has God lacks nothing;
    God alone suffices.

10. Ryujin

"Life? Don't talk to me about life"

11. Rawrzilla

Rawrzilla Guest

"Get shit done"

12. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

'Whatever happens, happens'

13. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

To copy & paste, my answer, from a similar topic:

Optimistically, it is to leave an impression, upon those who are here, and who will come. To guide them to endeavor, to enlighten them to knowledge, to inspire them to greatness, to instill them to love. Your meaning is as wide as the universe is expansive, as endless as the passage of time.

Pessimistically, it is to endure great turmoil, to strive to know purpose but never be sure. It is to be bent so much, one breaks, and gives in to futility. We simply exist, not for any significant reason, but to accept that nothing we do, will be remembered. Your meaning is just a means of deluding yourself, that you are worth anything.

Realistically, it is to live. To do what you enjoy, to indulge as you see fit; be it alone, or with others. You get what you put in. No more, no less.

Personally (for me), it is unwritten. There may be no meaning to life, but that doesn't mean you can't find something interesting to do, while you are here. And the longer you linger, the more likely you will find something that, even if just temporarily, will amuse, comfort, or propel you. And who knows? You might just be the one, who opens the eyes of thinkers, the hearts of lovers, and the souls of individuals.

14. Jonathan

My philosophy of life can be said in four simple words: Live and let live.

15. Hell2theno

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^ that's it! Haha

16. Hexagon

I'll answer this in biology class when I have my laptop out. I don't feel my phone will do it justice.

17. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    ^ Oh this will be good! :grin:

I'm just going to keep this simple. My philosophy is 2 parts. "Have a dream, live for your dream, achieve your dream, find a new dream" sums up part 1. Part 2 is about respecting, honouring, and loving everything and everyone in our reach, to the best of our abilities (including ourselves).

18. Hexagon

Ah, biology class with an incompetent teacher. I can begin.

I would start first by defining a person, as I see it, and their role in the world, as this is crucial to an understanding of morality. A human is a biological being and and animal, yes, but the evolution of our brains gives us certain abilities I would define as being outside of nature. This comes with responsibilities. We are capable of morality, and so we must exercise it, and we are no longer entitled to the kind of endless consumption of resources that our lower primate ancestors enjoyed because of this. We aren't above nature, but neither are we entirely from it. We don't have the right to destroy it at will.

On a personal level, I consider it my moral duty to firstly, respect what I've written above, and secondly, to make the world a better place when I leave, than when I arrived, and to oppose injustice, and the systems that create them. In spiritual terms, though I have no belief in any deity or afterlife, I don't neglect my spiritual side. I seek to become good, selfless, and enlightened. That isn't a goal I expect to attain, and then my life is complete, but rather a way of life that makes me the best person I can be.

I haven't said anything about personal goals, or how best to attain them. I feel it would be selfish to neglect what I've said above, and seek out personal success instead.

That was a little more rambling that I anticipated, probably due to having to pretend to be working. Ah well, there you have it.

19. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think we're here to love each other and to experience beauty--I think that's about it.

20. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A pillar of Nietzsche's thought guides me: as he states in his book Ecce Homo; Amor Fati , the love of one's fate, whether "good" or "bad" (categories that are in serious need of revision):

To not only accept one's fate, but to love it; as an affirmation, saying yes to life in all its mystery.

From his other (interestingly titled, as the one above :grin:) book, The Gay Science: