1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What was your reaction when you found out your orientation?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by shotonthechest, Dec 3, 2014.

1. shotonthechest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    When you found out you were gay/lesbian/bisexual, how did you react to it? Were you happy, or it saddened you, or you acted neutral?

Starting with me, it quite much saddened me because... I'm probably the only lesbian in my town. Or even if I am not, they won't probably come out because girls in my town are shy when it comes to this topic. :bang:
    But I guess I'm okay with it right now. Life Gets Better Together <3

2. Rawrzilla

Rawrzilla Guest

Eh, I never had an specific moment when I just thought "Wow, looks like I'm bi!" It's something that was always kinda... There (as far as I can remember). I never had to talk myself into it or "find out." so I guess I didn't have a reaction. Bisexuality is what I've always known.

3. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It took me really about a dozen years to finally fully "nail it down". Even now, I still doubt it. My sexuality has always been very complicated and still is.

4. The Virgo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I felt like this weird alien that had come from the planet lgbt and when i landed on the planet earth i hit my head and forgot who i was for a few years. While on the bus ride to camp it all came back to me, a planet full of happiness and rainbows. After that i found the key to going back home was inside of my mind and i can go back to the planet lgbt whenever i feel the need of handing home

5. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

"Hm... interesting... I can like anybody? Really?"

So, pretty content, I'd say.

6. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Fucking confused. It took me months to sort out my orientation but I was pretty relived when I told myself "no, don't need to force myself to be attracted to women. If I do like women, that can come organically." I feel more natural calling meelf a gay male than a bisexual or a pansexual one.

7. C P

C P

Confusion(since it hit so late and randomly at that), which later turned to sadness and annoyance/frustration - all of which remain to this day.

8. Rainbows~Exist

I was confused at first but then I was like "That's pretty cool."

9. BiShoegazer

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My reaction was one of "Why me?"

10. C P

C P

I'd like to add this to my list.

11. Compute

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Looking back on it now, I was a pretty oblivious kid when I was younger. At the age of like 10 upwards I was throwing myself into relationships with girls because that was what was 'what every guy had to do' and they were pretty lifeless at best with no actual emotion coming from me and I've always felt bad for the girls who spent time with me because it was never really authentic on my side. The first real 'sign' was back when I was around 12 and I accidentally caught a glimpse of my, at the time, girlfriend's brother getting out the shower though he didn't notice that I'd seen him. I remember being much more attracted to him than the girl at the time but I shrugged it off for a few years. At around 14 really noticing other boys and that led me into looking into different sexuality labels on the internet and I read about gay couples and I thought to myself 'That seems right' and everything from the past few years kinda just slapped me in the face.

I enjoyed this question actually, made me think. I don't really know if people just get a sudden moment of 'Oh I'm gay/bisexual/asexual etc' though being able to remember the slow process was a funny thing to think about for me.

12. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've always known about myself, but I didn't know what label was right for me.

When I found out, with the aid of EC (and some members in special :icon_bigg ), I was relieved and happy (and grateful to those who helped me). =]

13. PurpleGrey

When I first started to suspect, my gut reaction was fear, panic, and denial. I knew damn well I wasn't straight, but I forced myself to "like" guys and believed it.

I had this reoccurring fear that if I went to a shrink for my emotional problems, the shrink would figure out and tell me I was a gay. Or worse, the shrink would go straight to my mother and tell her I was gay behind my back. Pretty much anyone figuring out I was gay in a sneaky way, that was an odd fear I had.

14. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This was my reaction too :frowning2:

I was 14 when the full weight of my orientation came down on me and all I could think was "why me? I'm never going to have a normal life, never going to have a wife and kids, maybe I should just quit while I'm ahead". I'm so glad that line of thinking ended soon.

15. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I honestly thought it was due to my sinful masturbation (the exotic turns erotic "theory"), which was previously directed towards girls/women.

16. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    After getting over the initial fear and shame, I learned to love it. I'm really happy I am bisexual. It's one of my favorite parts of myself!

17. Ryujin

I was confused at first, then satisfied, then I started doubting and trying to convince myself I was already too weird to be any more weird. Weird denial.

18. DrinkBudweiser

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i don't think i ever really had a reaction. all my life i was into sports, cars, building shit, etc. anything that society would deem as something boys were into. i always had on basketball shorts, t-shirt and a baseball cap. i figured all along that i was just a huge tom-boy. i never had interest in guys at all and being with a girl never particularly crossed my mind. i believed everyone had cooties until i was about 15. then i dated a guy for about 6 months and realized that there was no way in hell i was straight or ever would be. i just figured that i wasn't attracted to anyone in general. i had a really busy life in high school, i played multiple sports so finding time for a relationship never sparked my interest anyway. i guess at some points i thought about the fact that i might be a lesbian because i definitely found girls attractive but i had no interest in dealing with their drama and bullshit.....

i can't really tell you when i came out of the closet, it just... happened? hell, i don't know. here i am 23 years old and i'm fucking girl crazy. bit of a change since HS.

19. AKTodd

My reaction pretty much boiled down to:

Right, I'm gay. I'm hungry, what should I have for dinner?

There was maybe thirty minutes of thinking about it beforehand, but since at the time I was being driven home by a guy I'd just spent the last couple hours having sex with, it was more along the lines of 'This is the second time I've initiated sex with a guy (called him and asked him if he was free to come pick me up so we could go to his house for sex. We'd hooked up once before, also at my initiation). I've never had any interst in women. Based on my actions today, I've moved beyond just thinking I'm experimenting. Either accept I'm gay or continue playing mind games with myself. I already know I don't have any time for mind games.'

And that was that. Came out to the guy (He congratulated me) and then started worrying about food.

Todd

20. Phalange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone