1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Open Letter

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Noah, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Noah

Ok, so I'm getting tired of arguing the same points about lgbt issues with my friends.

I'm writing an open letter that will include every major argument about being gay. I really need your help!

I'm trying to focus on the most common logical arguments (gays can't reproduce), and the Bible based arguments (Leviticus).

I know other religions also condemn gays, but I'm trying to keep this fairly mainstream for the area I live in.

If you can think of an argument and possible rebuttal, that would be excellent. Any help at all would be great!

Thanks everyone!

2. Noah

Oh, and here is the message that prompted it.

"Please forgive my silence

It was certainly not caused by any ill intent.

I honestly just didn't know how to respond. I didn't know if you were ready to hear what I had to say. So please listen. Think about what I have to say. And pray about its validity and truth.

My heart pretty much breaks for you. I can hardly imagine what you must be going through. A secret like that exposed in a place that should be safe for secrets and brokenness, but isn't. Shunnings and awkwardness in places that were made for healing. Tragic.

I don't know why the church shies away from such things. It's an identity crisis at best. May God rescue us from our constant betrayal of the Gospel.

I think fear of "big sins" comes from a fear of recognizing our own brokenness. If someone is actually born gay, then some of us are born greedy (which the Bible calls idolatry.. which would make us spiritual whores constantly breaking God's heart). And some of us born liers, and others theives. Some of us prideful and self-serving. And if all of the greed, pride, lust, rediculous quests for power, and self importance in the world causes such explioitation of people and the environment.. If the riches we hoard because they are our "right" don't go to the millions dying of starvation and lack of clean water (the millions who bear the image of God Himself).. Well then I guess we are all guilty of murder and defacing the image of God. That's a big deal and makes it pretty scary to really look inside of ourselves. So we hide behind our fig leaves and hope no one notices. We act like the brokenness we don't possess is worse than the brokenness inside of us. We are so far from Eden, and so far from Home. And it's quite frightening. Because something deep inside our souls screams that we were not made to live the way we were born. Maybe that's why Jesus said we must be born again. Into a new life.

And that's why the cross is so terrifyingly beautiful.

He was broken for our brokenness.

He matched us scar for scar.. and then some.

And it's my experience that He holds our hands in His scars until we actually believe that He's there.

Which is so breathtaking. Cause He always embraces me. Even in my heartbroken, sobbing, rated R for language, doubtful prayers from messy heart that He calls beautiful.

You have to choose what life you're going to embrace. The old one or the new one. Death or Life. Same as all of us.

With the utmost compassion and love regardless of your decisions,
    Name Removed"

3. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Some points to look into concerning the inability to reproduce:

-The already high population
    -The availability of surrogacy for males, artificial insemination for females
    -How quickly orphanages are filling up, and the possibility of adoption

4. EM68

First of all I would tell this person that being gay is not a choice and you are insulted being compared to liars and thieves. Personally the two things I can not stand is someone who lies and steals.

I spent some time reconciling my faith with the fact I am gay. I am not very religious. I consider myself more spiritual (if that makes sense). I feel that the god I believe in loves me no matter what even though I am gay. If not then why did he make me gay? Secondly I strongly believe that things happen for a reason. I may not know why now or may in fact never know. But for some reason I was born gay and that I have some purpose in life.

Good luck. I hope it helps!

5. Noah

Thanks everyone! Keep em coming

6. spellbound118

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For the reproduction argument you can say that we all have different purposes in life. Mothere teresa didn't reproduce but you can't call her life pointless. Also some people are born infertile, you can't argue genetically with that, they are born like that, through God. Therefore reproduction isn't everything.
    Hope that helps =] I have a bunch of arguments in my ethics book, ill write some more tomorrow if i can find the book.

7. jbb1236

As far as the bible, I've read 4 different versions of the versus that is most commonly used to condemn homosexuality, and in all 4 versions, they are worded different. The bible was originally in either Greek, or Aramaic, not 100% certain which one. Either way, then translated to Latin, then to German, then to English. Needless to say, there are 1000 different ways to translate that passage, not only that but you have to take into consideration, the cultural meaning of the statement. What we think it means now could be completely different from the meaning of the time period, or region.

As far as the being against nature argument, close to 1500 of the, just over, 2000 studied species exhibited some sort of homosexual behavior.

Not to mention that to say each one of us is wrong, having been born gay, and being created by God, is blaspheme. They are essentially saying that God made a mistake and that we need to be "born again." Thus making God fallible, but wait, that can't be he's the supreme being. So either, we are wrong for saying God made a mistake, or humans are above God, since we can decide what is right and wrong. Oh, make sure they realize that Jesus, nor God ever said anything about homosexuality. Leviticus, Mathew and the Others are all just prophets and disciples interpreting God's word.

Sorry it's so long, but I've done a good bit of discussing these things with people who are blinded by faith, and just can't seem to step outside of the faith paradox before assessing a situation or problem.

#7 jbb1236, Oct 12, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
  8. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Running with that thread, you should definitely bring up the individuals who are born infertile, as well as sterilized or senior couples who are fully capable of love and consent and are even allowed to marry, but who cannot reproduce. Don't stray too far into the same-sex marriage debate unless that's your intent, though.

9. Jerr

Watch For the Bible Tells Me So. Should help a bit. We have a link somewhere on this site. Just search it.

10. Noah

Thanks everyone!

11. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you want a little sarcasm...

The bible says "Thou shalt not lie with a man like with a woman" (sorry, read it in Spanish, not familiarized with King James or with archaic English).

We NEVER lie with a man like with a woman. The act is inherently different.

You could say that in the bible there are 9037259732690790372609 direct references to sins heterosexual people can commit, but only a few which MIGHT be about gayness. Plus those are in the Old Testament, largely ignored by Christianity...