1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would men crossdressing ever become a trend

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Driftr, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Driftr

Would society be able to pull that off? I think it's cool on one hand but on the other, wouldn't there be mass confusion if cross-dressing men were mistaken as transgender or even a woman? I'd imagine that dating would be one huge guessing-game.

I think the only way that a huge trend like that would avoid mass confusion would be to have a "male version" of things that are exclusive to females now, like male skirts, male dresses, male high heels and male styles for long hair, for any males that want to experiment with that stuff, but to let people, for whatever reason (like potential partners), know that they have the male anatomy.

I don't see why girls wouldn't find a cross-dressing man attractive. Some guys think that girls wearing baggy clothes or a woman's tux is cute.

It's funny how people are so quick to belittle male cross-dressers when females literally do just that. It used to be that females weren't allowed to wear pants and now most wear it on a daily basis.

Do you see this ever happening? Or do you see the extremists one day telling all females to revert back to skirts and dresses only for girls?

2. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If it were to become a trend, I'd try it one day. I wouldn't wear makeup or anything. I wore a bra and panties when I was 15 just to see how it felt. It wasn't bad.

3. LostLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think I'll pass on cross-dressing. I'm too hairy :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sorry, I don't see it catching on, at least in the near future, just from how averse most men seem to be to the idea, and how much of a turn-off many women find it. Men are still bound by traditional gender roles, more so than females in some ways, and being seen as feminine, weak, or gay - they all seem to be synonymous in people's heads - is still a major taboo.

The fact that so many people pose "conditionals" (he must be tough to pull it off, he must wear this color, he must do this for a living, he must have the body type) is also an issue. In other words, even when they're "allowed" to express femininity or gender-variance, they must balance it with some sense of masculinity.

Believe me, I'd love to live in a world where even straight guys call each other beautiful, and we're free to wear whatever, but, we probably have a better idea of seeing that in queer communities first! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#4 gravechild, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  5. MissMook

I can't see it ever "trending", as most men are afraid of being called "gay" to make it popular. I do think, however, that it'll be more openly accepted for men to crossdress as time goes by. How long that'll take though is a real question of time...

I'd personally like to see that become a reality soon. ^___^

6. kem

kem

I'm making a skirt for myself as I type this :grin: I don't see it as crossdressing, because I made it according to my measures and I designed it. It's not a "male skirt", it's a skirt. I'm not crossdressing, I'm just dressing.

7. Sorceress of Az

Why the heck not?

I mean women crossdress all the time, its trendy they wear mens hair cuts, and no one bats an eye,
    BUT IF A MAlE: where to dress in female clothes or even be GASP, FEMININE, then people make a big deal about it, cause its apparently ok for women to be macho and assertive, but not ok for men to be submissive or pretty.

Grow up People is all I have to say about that, let people express them selves, don't stare or give them rude looks, as long as their clothes are descent and not revealing too much, I mean
    Yoga pants, come on no one needs to see your privates regardless of your sex.

And don't assume a person is gay, transgender, or whatever just based in how they dress, I mean I know a lot of people like that who do judge books by covers. Gender Expression is separate from Sex, Orientation, and Gender, a person could be a straight male crossdresser who identifies as a man.

and now for a Madona song: (which I will post in a sec, my phone will erase every thing I wrote if I try to switch apps.)

---------- Post added 4th Dec 2014 at 10:56 PM ----------

[YOUTUBE]C0s8V6EJ9xI[/YOUTUBE]

#7 Sorceress of Az, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  8. Adam1969

Its been trendy at my house for decades! :roflmao:

Truthfully, I have to say I dont believe it ever will. Male society is way too macho to ever embrace men who cross dress. For me I dont care if its trendy, I'd just like to see people not harassed or harmed for doing it! I would consider that a major victory... probably will never happen either! :icon_sad:

9. CyanChachki

If a girl can wear pants and a jacket and be socially accepted, then a man can wear a dress and some pumps and get the same social acceptance. I don't see why it's not acceptable. It is fabric sewn in different shapes. There are no rules, there are no laws. People who make fun of you for doing it are insecure and they're battling their own demons. Pay no attention to them. Be you and work it.

10. Driftr

I don't know if it's just me but I feel like people are reluctant for such an idea to take off on a massive scale because they're scared of all the confusion that it might entail. If suddenly everyone is allowed to wear whatever they want, They might come up with an arguement like "Well what if we can't tell each other apart anymore?"

But I think people don't realize that all females cross-dress now and yet they're able to leave hints that they are physically female. So I think men can do the same.

I completely understand this though. If I were to cross-dress, I would still, when I'm single and ready to mingle, would want to leave hints that I'm physically a man to any potential mates out there. So if I ever did want to cross-dress, I'd wear "male versions" of anything that is exclusive to girls now and if I ever wanted to wear "girl versions" I'd do that indoors, or on special occasions.

11. White Knight

I think if women specific clothing/things accepted on men, they would become out of crossdressing territory as they would become men dressing as well. Do you think women wearing pants, suits or ties as crossdressing?

For dress maybe it is not common but some parts of the world men wear things other than your everyday pants... Also it was a common practice in west that men wear thights and those horriby wigs... Glad I didnt live at those times. Even seeing those wigs is enought to make me start itching.

12. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Men do wear ladies skinny jeans and I think within time there are making skirts for men

13. White Knight

*cough* Kilts... sexy Kilts on Sexy Scotsman *cough*

14. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

In Japan, there are the otokonoko, men who dress as women full time. There are girls who find them attractive.

Then there is Visual Kei, and the Japanese alternative scene, in which it is preffered for men to be beautiful, and many wear dresses etc. And there are many, MANY girls completely infatuated with them.

Japanese people are also very accepting of those things. They are not like Americans who hate on, insult and even attack those who challenge pathetic gender roles.

I hope one day in the entire world, it will become more accepted. And I hope that one day gender restrictions of clothing etc will dissapear
    It's just clothing after all!

15. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It is in Japan

16. Ryujin

I would prefer it not to become a trend, in the same way that I wouldn't like anything to be a trend.
    A) Crossdressing would become the new cool, and thus those who didn't do it would be ostracised, which is just as bad.
    B) A trend is temporary whereas I feel that clothes should be permanently gender neutral and people should be able to wear whatever they like and not be judged for it

Maybe if it became a trend and then evolved into social acceptance and the loss of the gendered clothing mentality, maybe, but it won't do that, will it?

17. Centore

Centore Guest

If men wearing skirts became a thing, I would try it.

18. Quiet Raven

Oh really? From what I have researched it seemed to me Japan is more strict with gender roles then here in the west... .so that was totally wrong?

That would actually be very good news to me... Considering I may want to go there sometime...

19. Jellal

I would love it if the Visual Kei style got popular over here in the states, even if you don't find it "hot," it's very eye-catching and hard to look away from, no? Dunno if it's crossdressing, but it's not the kind of generically manly stuff guys usually wear, which just doesn't have the requisite flair to make me think "10/10 coolness."

20. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    God I hope not.

I do think that clothes will become more unisex in the future, but I don't think men will be wearing skirts and dresses ever.

---------- Post added 25th Dec 2014 at 03:28 AM ----------

Otoko no ko? That means a male child, right? Odd name for men who dress like girls....