1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I love Christmas!!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by OGS, Dec 5, 2014.

1. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So from what I've seen here I may be the only one but just in case I'm not I thought I would start a thread for people who actually like the holidays!

Maybe the secret is that we save time with our families for January. For years both my partner and I were in big box retail management and so couldn't take time off during the holidays. As my family is in Utah and his in Oklahoma that effectively meant we couldn't do the holidays with them which has actually worked out pretty well. We visit them in January and it's like a whole other holiday--my family actually leave up all the Christmas decorations until we arrive. It's fun. So we have developed our own little holiday traditions--and frankly, when we both moved out of retail and could take time off during the holidays we were so entrenched in our own little traditions that going to visit family just didn't really seem like Christmas any more.

We love the lights and decorations and sometimes will go down to the Magnificent Mile here and just wander the stores looking at the decorations, not even buying anything. We play Christmas music pretty much non-stop from Thanksgiving on--sometimes a little earlier if we need a lift. We do the whole decorating thing--live tree with our ornaments that we have collected over the years. We try to add a couple really individual ornaments a year to our collection--whether it is from our travels or just after Christmas specials. We have such a fun and quirky collection of ornaments that more and more people give us ornaments as gifts. We also do a second smaller tree with only gay themed ornaments and of course now gay themed ornaments have become the de rigeur gift for visiting our home in December, seriously they have become almost as common of a hostess gift for us as wine. If things keeps going the way they are the gay tree will be as big as the main tree one of these days.

We love entertaining during the holidays. We generally do a couple smaller dinner parties and one large cocktail party. We have learned over the years that one of the keys to a successful cocktail party is to only invite people you want to come. It sounds silly but seriously the next time you are planning a party notice how many times the phrase "well, and then we have to invite..." comes up. We don't invite any of those people. The corollary to this one is that we only accept invitations if we actually want to go to the party. Everyone's busy in December and so almost everyone accepts the excuse that you already have something going, so we don't accept invites out of any sense of obligation--only because we actually want to go.

We have also learned over the years that I way over plan for a party. You just don't need 32 different passed hors d'oeuvres, 16 of which have to be served hot. This is my default setting and so we have developed a system over the years. My partner comes up with a couple things he would like to serve then I make up a list of what I would like to make for the party. I am then allowed to put stars next to 4 of them (2 of which have to be able to be made in advance) and then my partner goes through the list and crosses out about half of what's left and that's what we make.:lol:

We try to do several Christmas themed events throughout the month. Both gay choruses in town do a Christmas concert. Sometime we'll go to the Nutcracker or a performance of Handel's Messiah. We usually go to the little German Christmas village they do downtown and have hot spiced wine. We will go one evening to the zoo to look at all the lights. And, well, several of the bars in town do Christmas themed events--some of them rather off color (Christmas drag queens and hunky elves that sort of thing)--which can be fun.

We do silly little gifts, often home-baked goods, for just about everyone we know, send some sort of gift (often again something edible--most people we know just don't need more stuff) to each household within our family (no individual gifts) and then we do gifts for each other--half of which really is just stuff we actually need (but we still wrap it all and set it under the tree). We drink eggnog and make a whole appetizer feast for Christmas Eve and watch kids Christmas specials--sometimes we will go out to the bar which was sort of our home base back in our clubbing days for a drink. There's always a few people from that group--sometimes people who haven't been there in months (or maybe even since last Christmas Eve) who just wanted to share this special evening with "family".

We do the whole shebang for Christmas morning. Santa comes and brings gifts and stuffs stockings--seriously we both sneak out of bed in the middle of the night to play Santa. Usually it goes off without a hitch--occasionally there's a comment in the morning something along the lines of "Santa tried to come at about 3 in the morning but discovered that he was already here--he came back at 4.":lol: Santa always brings fresh-squeezed orange juice and champagne so we can have mimosas as we open gifts. We actually have a set of flutes (I think they are actually wedding toast flutes--they have doves worked into the stems) that we only use on Christmas morning. And then we go out for a very nice dinner (it's generally the most we spend on a meal in the year) late in the afternoon on Christmas.

I just love how cheerful and happy people are during this season--well, at least in public I suppose--how people are often more inclined during this time of year to think of others and I really look forward to it all year. In a way I suppose we don't really spend it the traditional way. We aren't really religious--although we have a beautiful nativity set. And I will say I find the story of Christmas and Easter--which for me is a story of how G*d wanted so deeply to understand how hard it was to be human that G*d became human in the humblest of circumstances, tried to teach people how to be good to each other and was reviled and killed for his troubles--deeply reassuring. It makes me feel like G*d or the universe or whatever really does understand how hard it is to be human and try to be good. We don't really spend it with family in the traditional sense. We don't really even buy much in the way of gifts but we love it. We've found a way to make it our own and make it one of our favorite times of year.

Anyway, I'm hoping other people will share stories of how they have made this time of year something they can enjoy and treasure. And I guess maybe I hope some of the people out there who hate this time of year will give some thoughts to how they might be able to come to peace with it and make it something of their own that they could treasure.

Merry Christmas! Happy Hanukkah! Happy Kwanzaa! Everyone have a happy December!

2. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OGS, that's beautiful man, really.

I love this time of year and I'm starting to make things my own as well. starting over with the kid and blending the best of what we had and what we make ourselves.

take the holiday and make it your own. Love it.

Merry Christmas.(*hug*)

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I look at the holidays as institutionalized non-normalcy. It's a nice time to let loose and to be a little outside of one's routine.

Being Jewish, this is Seinfeld's "Festivus for the rest of us"...we do have Chanukah, which is actually pretty nice, and so appropriate when it comes to bringing light to these dark days of the winter solstice (besides, our "Festivus" lasts 8 days! :grin:).

As with any holiday, it is possible to go all in, or to keep it modest. Joy is certainly a feeling that can be called up at this time of year, provided a certain amount of effort is put into it, and provided one does not force it.

At this time of year, I am reminded of my favourite quote from Yeats:

4. ahardlife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    OGS that is one hell of a post you made . I have had some nice Christmas memory's like waking everyone up at 4am because Santa`s been 20 years ago so I would have been 8 . few sad ones to. its nice to do tradition also like Christmas lunch & mass on Christmas eve something nana insisted on that .there are family difficulties but we manage to put them aside mostly.

5. Rosalynn

Christmas is awesome. I eat loads of food and get presents and pile on as many decorations on the tree as possible and sing songs I actually know the words to and bathe in the christmassy feel of it all.

6. tscott

Whether joyous or bittersweet, I love Christmas, except for the snow and ice (hate winter driving). But the season from Advent to Epiphany is my favorite. I even love the shopping especially when the budget is small, because then it's not for show, it's something dear that's a treat: cashmere socks, a charming ornament, nice soap - nothing they'd buy for themselves.

7. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I frankly struggle with Christmas. Years back, it was a favorite time of the year, and I'd like to find a way to reinvent it so it could again be a happy time of the year... My big problem: I'm pretty socially isolated, so I don't get any sort of Christmas gathering or even holiday parties these days.

To happier thoughts...

Thinking about 20-some years ago, when still at home, and when my mother was still alive...

My favorite memories now are the tree. It became my job pretty early on--I can't remember what year, but I do remember I was young enough that I needed some help with the top branches.

In the last years, the tree came from a lot that was run by a Boy Scout troup or something like that. (Not a tradition I'd like now, given the less then stellar LGBT attitudes held by the BSA!) It was the biggest tree we could fit into our hatchback. I'm guessing, in stand, it ran maybe about 7 feet tall.

The tree got lights--lots of lights. Two strands of C7 bulbs, maybe 21 bubbling light bulbs, and 2 strands of flashing mini lights. It's probably a miracle the tree didn't get set on fire... Plugging it in, the lights in the neighborhood probably dimmed. :lol:

Then, I liked getting gifts, and found some happiness in giving gifts in later years. One memory: my mother would drop hints about possible gift ideas. One year, there were two strong candidates. I bought both, and wrapped them in a really large box, probably using some joke about using it so she'd have no way of guessing what was in it.

The memorable joke gift was for my father when he was still around. He always had this line about wanting practical gifts, so one of his gifts every year toilet paper.

I don't remember Christmas dinner that well through the years, but in the last years we'd make something special, if non-traditional, and served it on the nicer dishes.

#7 BMC77, Dec 10, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  8. DinelodiiGitli

Yay, Christmas! The past few holiday seasons have been a little rough for my family but it seems that maybe this year it'll go pretty well and my Mom might even have the day off. :slight_smile:
    Warm, fuzzy, holiday feels everywhere.