1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Funny mispronunciations and mishaps with accents/language.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TigerInATophat, Dec 5, 2014.

1. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    So the: What accent do you have? thread reminded me that I've been meaning to start this one.

Has anyone ever made or heard an amusing mispronunciation or had a funny situation happen due to misunderstandings of language/regional dialect/just the way someone says something?

My mother is French which over the years growing up in England has resulted in some funny incidents that have us both in fits of laughter. For example:

When I was little my mum thought a ladies private part was pronounced 'virginia'. So consequently I too called it this. I used to laugh my head off when someone mentioned the place Virginia on the television, thinking it was the same word.

She also used to pronounce the C word as 'count', and said it more often than other swear words because she thought it was only a mild one. Similar laughing to the above ensued when The Count from Sesame Street would appear on TV.

She wanted to avoid us having to use a certain public toilet that was not kept very clean because: 'It is full of daisies' (diseases). On the occasions that we did use it I would wonder what on earth she was going on about as there were clearly on flowers growing there of any kind.

She uses the expression: 'pure of heart' sometimes but people get confused because it sounds like: 'pure a fart.'

You know the phrase 'get in someone's face' meaning to bother them and invade their personal space? Well she says 'get on someone's face'. It's an easy mistake, only one letter different, except it leads to situations like this which happened recently:
    Mum spoke to the man who was reducing that days bread to clear in the bakery aisle. Two ladies were really getting up close to him to get the reductions. So she said to him in reference to this: 'I don't want to get on your face. I didn't like it when it was done to me.' Of course he burst out laughing. Once she realised how it sounded she and I were chuckling about it all evening.

Another expression: 'watching like a hawk' has been changed into 'watching like a dork'. I have of course told her this is inaccurate, but she likes to stick with it anyway as she prefers it.

She will say: 'this bed needs a fresh sheet on it', but because of her accent, sheet is pronounced SHIT!

'Bottle' is pronounced 'butthole'. I don't even need to tell you how many funny conversations this has resulted in.

One of mine when I was younger (which I think is a common error as I've heard others say it) is I used to think the phrase: 'a damp squib' was actually: 'a damp SQUID'!

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've greatly enjoyed the difference between the way US Americans and Canadians understand the phrase "to fuck off." For US Americans, if we say "I fucked off," it means we were generally lazy and frivolous. If a Canadian says it, she means that she went away, i.e. left.

So, in my first year at college, I was surprised when someone had said "Alright, time for me to fuck off." And I was like "alrighty," and then they left the room and didn't come back. :frowning2:

3. Adam1969

I had a non English speaking friend that was learning English in the work place. When we trained outside of work, we would sometimes joking say to our fellow employee... "step up to the fucking line." He did'nt realize this was a private joke and the next day he looked straight into this ladies eyes and said... step up to the fucking line! We hurried him away and the lady was actually very understanding once we explained. I love these kind of cross-cultural misunderstandings!

4. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

The one that comes immediately to mind, with me is the word 'chicken'.

I don't say 'chicken', I pronounce it like 'chiggen'. It's just something I've always done.

5. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think there's only one person in the world who thinks this amusing (other than myself), but oh well. In C# two of the most common method names I deal with are OnInit and Page_Init. I pronounce "initialization" correctly, but for whatever reason insist on saying the shortened form as "eye knit". I know that's wrong but doesn't matter.

6. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My dad says the word syrup like "serp", as in rhyming with terp or burp. He also says roof the same as the word rough. He pronounces restaurant without the "au", almost like the word restraint. It's weird. I suppose it is lack of enunciation.

7. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    I've noticed a few people have difficulty saying penguin. My stepsister (when in late teens) always said pung-wan. The actor Benedict Cumberbatch said peng-wing until it was pointed out to him.

Lol. I guessing that, coming from Kentucky, and being fond of Mc'Chiggen' nuggets, this gets used a lot?

8. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

It's Chiggen McNuggets, but yes, it does.

=P

9. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    Haha I can't believe I made that mistake the amount of times I've ordered them! I think my brain just wanted to say McChiggen!

10. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My name is a nightmare for pronunciation. Sometimes I can't even get my first name (Karl) across without some monstrous mishearing such as Kyle, Kal, or even Kale. Having a non-rhotic accent makes it difficult for some, especially rhotic-accented speakers such as most North Americans, to hear my name properly without the R pronounced. It happens on at least a weekly basis.

I don't even bother saying my surname any more; if people need it, I write it or spell it. Not even my mother can say my surname, even though it's only three syllables and she's had it for 20 years. Its pronunciation (especially the stress) is really difficult for most English speakers.

The only big mishap of different usage of the same word I can think of is when I was trying to explain what happened at a party to my Floridian friend who thought I meant "she was angry" when I said "she was pissed" instead of what I actually meant; "she was drunk", because it's far rarer to use "pissed" to refer to drunkenness in North America.

11. Rawrzilla

Rawrzilla Guest

Speaking of names, for whatever reason apparently my name only exists within the boundaries of Spanish because I haven't met the first non-Spanish speaker that was able to pronounce it completely (let alone right). This is why I gave up long ago and now I just tell people my name is Curtis, despite that name having no resemblance whatsoever to my actual name. A lot of people call me Curt.

I'm always thoroughly amused by all the people close to me that have no idea of what my real name is.

Life is so hilarious.

#11 Rawrzilla, Dec 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2014
  12. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

If you hung around me long enough, you'd catch on. But some of the ones I've said...

Dahwg for dog

Budweezer for Budweiser

Officahl for official (not since I was a kid though)

Drahgone for dragon

13. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mine too. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Bit of the same, Yorn. And where I live in the Netherlands, we pronounce it as if it reads Yoren, but then with the /r/ sound (same as the Finnish r). People pronounce my name in so many ways. Yon, Yoren/Yorin/Yoran (with the English r in read), ... I always have to write it down too, as in Dutch, one would Assume to write my name as either Yoren or Joren. :dry:

--

My boyfriend said that I say eye-dee to idea, instead of the normal pronunciation for idea. I know that I pronounce tomato in 3 different ways, with the a in palm, the ay in way or the British /a/~/ä/ like in have. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

If I don't pay attention, I mispronounce variable as variable (with y in why sound for the i), I sometimes say finnet to finite and I tend to drop certain letters that shouldn't be dropped.

14. jahow95

Played rugby at a national competition, captain of a northern team came up to me and i couldn't understand a word he said. Spent about 2 minutes trying to understand him before we parted ways confused

#14 jahow95, Dec 6, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  15. DinelodiiGitli

Bulldog instead of Pit Bull. ("I thought you owned a bulldog not....that.")
    Louisiana is pronounced "lose-ee-anna". ("Lost Anna? Wha....?")

16. Candace

Apple (ey-poll)
    Picture (peek-ture)
    Iphone (I-phone-knee)
    Nautica (Naw-chee-kuh)

Gotta love those Brazilian pronunciations :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

17. Adam1969

Oh, "wee-fee" instead of wi-fi!? :eusa_doh:

18. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I remember in 7th grade a girl in my class was doing a presentation and kept talking about the "nayzees" (rhyming with navies). It took a few minutes to realize she was actually talking about Nazis...that one was pretty bad.

19. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was told to be extra vigilante