1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I wrong?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by potofsoup, Dec 6, 2014.

1. potofsoup

potofsoup Guest

Hi guys,

Today I happened to go out with 2 of my classmates to catch a movie and have dinner.

After the movie, we decided on where to eat. (One thing I have to mention here is that I am a vegetarian and my 2 classmates know that well.)

I suggested a few restaurants that offer both vegetarian and non-vegetarian food. But, they were adamant to eat in this particular restaurant which only has non-vegetarian food. I told them that I won't be able to eat anything but they simply said that they only want to eat there.

So, we went there and both of them placed orders while I just sat down there like an idiot watching them eat. I actually felt like walking away half-way because I kind of felt insulted.

In the end, they bid goodbye after eating and we parted ways. They never gave a thought about me not eating at all.

I feel that I should not go out with them anymore because they don't even give a thought about me being a vegetarian.

It is not that I am asking them to eat vegetarian food with me, but I wish they have chosen a restaurant that has both veg and non-veg.

Am I being wrong here to choose not to go out with them again? Should I have just walked out or is it rude?

2. Rainbows~Exist

You haven't done anything wrong. They are poor examples of 'friends' (no offense).

3. The Virgo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    No, you picked a place were you all could enjoy a meal they didn't. To me it sounds a little selfish and i wouldn't go out with them again

4. Wukie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't think you're wrong at all. It was very inconsiderate of them to not even care if you could eat or not. Friends should have consideration for one another.

5. Eisenheim

If there isn't another reason (Price of the food?), they are so inconsiderate...

6. Hexagon

No, you aren't. You were perfectly willing to compromise, and they were being unreasonable.

7. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How rude! :eek: I'm not a vegetarian but I'd never drag a vegetarian friend to a restaurant where I knew there was no vegetarian options. That's just mean!

8. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think your in the right. Are they really your friends if they don't consider you?

9. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

Fuck the gits.

10. Yosia

They suck.

11. shinji

shinji Guest

I can't help but feel that they were perhaps making a prank on you, of sorts... Which i'm sure (if it were the case) at the beginning seemed as a good idea to them, but then it got out of hand.

I wouldn't necessarily stop hanging out with them, but rather, voice your concerns and simply deny them, if they don't agree to a place of your choosing.

12. elliot96

That is incredibly rude, to deny you food like that. My girlfriend is (mostly) vegetarian, and while I playfully tease her about it, I won't go to a restaurant if there is nothing for her to eat. It's just not right.

13. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow, they are jerks. There's an Indian saying that eating in front of someone who is starving will make you get a stomachache.

14. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

No, they were being assholes

15. potofsoup

potofsoup Guest

Thank you for your responses guys. I have started to mix around with other classmates and they seem more friendly. I hope to never experience this again.

16. CyanChachki

No.. why would you be wrong? They where being selfish instead of making an agreement to include you. That's not cool at all. But may I suggest something? Instead of ending the relationship, try talking to them first. Try to word things right so that it doesn't end in a knockdown, drag out fight but still be straightforward.

17. essie

A few of my friends can't have gluten and I can't have dairy. Every time we go out we make sure that everyone can eat in the place we've chosen and if we really want to try out some place that does not offer gluten free dishes we just wait for them not to be with us. We want to enjoy ourselves: not make someone feel bad because they have to stare at the other people eating. I know it would make me feel bad. That's what friends do. If I were you I'd chose some other friends to go out with, my friend!

18. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm definitely not a vegetarian, but if I were in your situation I would have parted ways with them when they refused to go somewhere that didn't offer any vegetarian options. I'll be damned before I will endure someone going to a restaurant where there is nothing on the menu that I can eat and leaving me sitting there like an idiot watching them eat.

They are the ones in the wrong and you are fully justified in not going out with them again.

---------- Post added 9th Dec 2014 at 10:55 AM ----------

I have to disagree here, by not going somewhere that offered vegetarian options, they proved that they really don't care about the OP. I would end the relationship. I wouldn't make a scene I would simply avoid them and I'd be busy if they invited me out again. They would eventually get the hint.

19. timo

The only thing you did wrong is join them for dinner at that place, instead of being like "well fuck this, if you're going somewhere that has nothing for me I'm going home".

I probably would not stop hanging out with them altogether though.

20. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Well I'd say its inconsiderate...
    they possibly made a point in insisting on non vegetarian... but this would show me they are not really sensible...

In most places there is something for vegetarians, even off the menue...
    salad...
    fried pasta with cheese or egg...
    baked potatoes with some tomatoe sauce...
    sometimes you have to ask if they would prepare it...