1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are You Open To Other Music Genres?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by twospiritlycan, Dec 7, 2014.

1. You have a favorite type of music, but you hear other different types of music that aren't often your first choice. But you still like it because it can be fun to listen to.

2. Rainbows~Exist

My rule with music is: If I like it then I will keep it with me.
    Genre does sometimes become an important factor when I'm trying to find new music but my music list has a variety of genres. I just like things that sound good(to me).

3. AlamoCity

95% of my music playlist falls under the "country and western" umbrella. There is 5%, though, that does not. So, I'd say I'm pretty open-minded about other genres; if not, it'd be 100% country :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

4. Randomcloud

I don't really have one genre I listen to...I have favourite songs from most genres. The only one I don't like much is trance and blues...but if it's on in the background or in the car or whatever I'm not going to complain, I just wouldn't have it on my iPod

5. Ryujin

I listen to primarily rock, which has a wide variety of subgenres as it is and I like all of them, but I also listen to some rap, pop, classical and a variety of other things which don't fit into those categories.

6. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

To be quite honest people who arent, suck

7. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I'll put it to you like this. I can be found listening to, say, Metallica or Selena Gomez (bitch got some catchy songs, don't judge me, LOL!).

So long as I like how it sounds, I'm fine. But the moment it begins to hurt my ears, or just sounds atrociously bad, then I'm turning the station or playing something else. I'm fairly open to any genre of music, so long as I notice talent, amusement or intelligence, or it is catchy-sounding.

8. CyanChachki

Totally. I don't mind listening to other people's music as long as I can listen to mine.

9. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The internet has definitely increased my music taste. I mostly like heavy metal and hard electronic music. I try to be open to other music genres, but some are simply beyond me. I usually don't want to listen to a song unless you can headbang to it or dance to it. Of course, there are exceptions. I think some people have a lot of patience or at least attention to listen to ambient music because my music preference is basically the antithesis of relaxing.

10. timo

I like a lot of different types of music, my preferred genres range from indie to electro to the more melodic hardcore/metalcore stuff. but then again, there are also a lot of genres I absolutely hate.

11. shinji

shinji Guest

I don't separate music into different genres, i separate it into two piles - good and bad. So... yeah, i can listen to anything, as long as i find it good enough. And i find a song good, if i am able to connect to it or if it manages to sway my emotions one way or the other.

12. Litveninko

definitely.

13. lukeluvznicki13

Sometimes I like to experiment with different genres and in doing this I have recently fallen in love with Florence and the Machine.

14. Justinian20

I would say indefinitely I can listen to any genre and I try to listen to a large variety of songs from the genre before saying I like it. So if you made me listen to someone I'd never heard of before I would try listening to them before saying, I hate that music. In fact just recently I've found a love for synthpop with female vocalists not from American mainstream artists though. I admittedly am a bit of hipster as well when it comes to listening to music.

15. thekillingmoon

I can listen to pretty much anything except rap and screamo/heavy metal type of music. I used to like heavier music when I was younger, but I find it tiring now.

16. lemons123

i am listening/have listened to anything but jazz....including: metal, hip hop, elvis, mozart - you name it :slight_smile:.

right now in this very moment? :slight_smile: - listening to serbian pop lol"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcqaBbRayjA

17. littlemonster11

Oh, definitely! My favorite genre is rock, particularly alternative rock. But you can find literally all kinds of music in my library. :slight_smile:

18. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Mostly I stick to Visual Kei or post punk. But there are a few indie J-pop songs in my playlist as well

19. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    I find genres are useful when searching for new music I'm more likely to enjoy. That said I'm not strict about avoiding any genre altogether. For example I'm not particularly into classical music but I am partial to some melodies, like Edvard Grieg's Morning Mood (I heard this in a lucid dream whilst flying over a snowy village once, it makes delightful in-dream music). Or with the country genre; most of it has always sounded pretty indistinct to my ears but I do like Johnny Cash. Admittedly he's not typical country, he blended styles.

20. Candace

Yes, of course!

My dad grew up in the late 60s, 70s, and 80s, therefore I like music from the 50s all the way to the early 80s. Motown, the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Buddy Holly, the Ramones, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Patsy Cline, the Temptations, Sam Cooke, ELO, the Doors

My mom likes country, gospel, and more newer music, therefore I like Carrie Underwood, Shania Twain, Billy Currington, Cee Lo Green, Willie Nelson, Sugarland, Sara Evans, Beyoncé

My friends listen to rap and some other bands: Travis Porter, Akon, Wish, Alicia Keys, etc.

Because I listen to foreign music: Shakira, Coeur de Pirate, Céline Dion, Superbus

My stepdad has a degree in Music Composition and likes classical music. We went to Austria in 2011 and I got to visit Mozart's house and go to a concert.

I like: Mozart, Brahms, Beethoven, and Gershwin.

As you can see, I'm very open minded about music and listening to stuff that I never would have listened to before, had someone not mentioned it to me. You never know and you may like it yourself :slight_smile: