Marriage

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TeeBe, May 12, 2007.

1. TeeBe

I was just wondering if people could see them every getting married. I know that only a few places around the world are open to same-sex marriage, but hypothetically: would you get married? If so, what is your dream marriage?

I would love to have a marriage on a beach or in the woods: somewhere close to nature. I don't really care what anyone wears...

2. Personally, I will never ever get married. I have reasons for it I promise, but I just wont

3. GuitarGirl1350

OH, definitely want to get married!!!
    Dream wedding:

At night, on a full moon, summer or early autumn. In a secluded field where you can clearly see the moon, or in this woodland clearing near my house...no religious sentiment. The moon gets so bright here in the mountains that can clearly see everything, so the ceremony would not be in darkness. My wedding gown is silver satin, hers is whatever she'd like. My jewelry is white gold and canary diamonds, my ring is white gold with a white diamond. There is a soft breeze blowing, but not enough to be chilly. We have written our own vows. After the kiss, we have soft, nylon-string guitar music playing whatever our wedding song may be...at this moment, I'm thinking "This is the Night". It would be a very quiet ceremony, with nature serenading us more than the claps and cheers of guests. I do not want to shatter the peace. As we kiss, people may have candles, but I do not know.
    There would be no reception.
    We'd arrive home after the ceremony to find red roses everywhere (I'd hire a minion to do it after we left ;]) as well as candles. In a romantic fashion, we'd make love for the first time as a married couple.
    The end.

I'm such a chick...

4. Aww thats cute ^^

5. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No marriage for me either. I simply don't like the idea. It's a turn off.

6. Micah

Two people being together for the rest of their lives is a turn off? Or the actual ceremony?

7. tinkerbell

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    The services would be given in Spanish, but we would have someone interpreting in English. It would be in a cathedral because the buildings are beautiful. I haven't decided on my dress yet, but I do know that I prefer both of us to wear white, long-sleeved, long-skirt garments. ...it would be a lot like a Catholic wedding in many regards, but it would have stronger elements of the religion I already practice (it has three main labels, all of which I loathe because of their stigma. anyway). So the ceremony would be a traditional one for both religions (catholicism because I like the structure and the other 'cause it's my religion), and...I don't think we'd have a reception. I don't know. Still deciding. I think if she wants one I'll plan it with her, but not too heavily. And we'd go home and give it up. I am waiting until marriage. People are amazed. If gay marriage is never legalized, I still want to wait until I get handfasted.

8. Steam Giant

Wow, those weddings sound really lovely ^^

Personally, if I ever find my match and we decided to marry, I'd prefer the ceremony to be as informal as possible. I'd want everybody to be comfortable, and to be themselves. We'd write our own vows, and I don't think I'd want a reception either. As far as where the marriage would take place, I'd leave that up to the person I marry ^^

9. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

We could have a Civil Partnership here if we wanted to, but since we have been together for over 15 years anyway we just don't see any point in it. We may in future, but it would probably be if there are legal or financial advantages. Neither of us are interested in the ceremony, and it is unlikely that either of our families would be able to travel to attend.

10. dhutchid

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You should do the civil partnership thing for the tax breaks alone Paul. Plus if one of you ever gets hurt it covers the next of kin thing, giving you the decision needing to be made and not parents or siblings.

11. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Once we have completed moving house (end of June, hopefully) we need to do new wills etc so I'll ask our solicitor about it. Since I'm self employed and my partner is below the tax threshold I don't think it will have any effect on tax.

If we did it would just be us two plus a couple of friends as witnesses. No fuss or ceremony.

12. Kimi

.................................................uh....no?

I donno...well I guess I know...I don't think I will. It's not like I would or wouldn't.
    I just don't see why marriage is so important...

Well, this is my opinion for now.
    I might change my mind tomorrow so I don't need any kinds of craps. Thank you.

13. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Well my thinking was that after 15 years we don't need to send money on a piece of paper and a ceremony to prove that we love each other.

If there are legal or financial advantages to it then it's worth doing for that. As long as it doesn't bring about loads of complications if we should decide to separate in the future.

But marriage for the "big day" with the families and all the fuss - no thanks.

14. LowestVocal017

Girl you ARE such a chick! :icon_bigg That is one of the most romantic marriage scenes I have ever read. I kind of like your idea of having no one around, just two people and the moon. No one needs to know of the commitment ceremony, just nature and the two. Is this nothing more than a fantasy, or are you actually planning on making it real? You just gave me a few inspirational ideas for my wedding (if I have one, that is). :slight_smile:

15. LowestVocal017

Beautiful setting, Tinkerbell. I agree, Catholic Cathedrals are something of a beauty, both on the interior and exterior (seriously, how long does it take to finish building one of these masterpieces??).

Are you planning on having one person be the groom and the other walking down the isle as a bride, or are you both going to be brides walking down the isle one at a time (or together)? :slight_smile:

16. LowestVocal017

Kimi, everyone has their own views and perceptions of marriage. Just because you don't want to get married (as of now) does not mean anything bad. You simply prefer to not celebrate you and your partners life commitment together is all. Personally, I on the other hand would LOVE to have a full-blown formal wedding that will last a whole month or two, what's with all the planning and the guest-inviting, but that's just me.

You do what's right for you and your partner/husband, whatever you choose to call him. :icon_wink

17. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    well personally I hope that the day will come when myself and a really hot really intelligent partner of mine (I wish) tie the knot. I'm really big on the marriage thing, although not for the wrong reasons. I like to invisage it as a life long commitment to someone, someone i truely love and not the "oh i'm bored lets get married" saga that so many straight couples are falling in to at the moment.

I know that may be a little old fashioned, but i'm a romantic at heart and that's what i want. To sign away my singledom (out of choice) to be with the man of my dreams.

18. Miaplacidus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It isn't the partnership... it is the word "marriage". The ceremony. The papers. I'd prefer my partner and I to be eternal lovers. I'd love to have a stable, monogamous relationship... but I wouldn't call it marriage. Maybe "civil union" but not marriage... I know it's weird but that's the way I am.

So I would have only one partner, I would wear a ring matching with his, I'd spend my whole life with him... but I'd prefer to call him/her my boyfriend/girlfriend or lover. I don't think I could ever call someone my husband/wife... eeeeekkkkk

19. Miaplacidus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Exactly what I was thinking about. If there were notorious advantages I would do it. But I'd prefer to call it civil union and not marriage...

20. LowestVocal017

I noticed how the lesbians who replied here want to get married, while the major of gay guys who replied here don't. Having been appart of similiar discussions long ago on various gay boards, I took notice of a similiar finding: combining the results, about 65 percent of the gay guys state that they don't want to get married (a few with their own personal reasons), and more than 80 percent of the lesbians say that they do. I'm now more than convinced that gay guys not wanting to get married is boyond personal preference, that there must be a hidden biological and/or social component to gay guys not wanting to get married on average; one or both of these must be playing a role in those guys' "personal preference" for their relationship.

Why is this? Why don't gay guys on average want to get married? Here's what many of them said: they're OKAY with CIVIL UNIONS, but when I asked them about marriage, they rode it off. The lesbians, on the other hand, told me about their weddings that they were going to have, and with excitement too.

#20 LowestVocal017, May 13, 2007
    Last edited: May 13, 2007