1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question for my science teacher...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SuperSteffi97, Dec 9, 2014.

1. SuperSteffi97

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    With all the controversy about Connor Franta coming out, I was wanting to ask my science teacher a question about sexuality. She seems pretty awesome, but I'm not sure if she is a supporter or not. Should I take a chance and ask her? Here is what I am planning to send her:

I know that you cannot really state your opinion on this because, of the importance of the students forming their own opinions, so I am asking this as because I am wondering about certain facts. Recently a YouTube(r) came out as gay, a lot of people state that this is just a choice and that they can choose what sexuality they are. Others say it is a scientific fact, that people are born this way and that it is not a choice. Some people even say it is nature's way of keeping the population of a species down, since homosexuality is seen in every species of animal, even if it is not seen by the public eye. Being bisexual, I personally think that you are born this way, since I don't remember ever choosing that I wanted to like boys and girls. My question is this: People are born gay, bisexual, transexual, straight, etc. aren't they? Hasn't this been scientifically proven? Isn't it shown that sexuality is a factor of DNA, the environment, and genetics?

2. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I will be a science teacher in 2 years, if everything goes the right way.

If she is a good teacher, she will probably answer honestly, without giving you any trouble.

As far as i know (and i may be wrong), there is no scientificproof yet that we are born this way, but evidences are pointing that way. We already know that "anti-gay therapies" don't work, and in the future we will probably have facts that prove that we are born this way.

Homossexuality (bisexuality too) is observed in nature, in many different species, so it is already clear that it is something natural. If we are born that way or if there is another factor that influences on the determination of the orientation, we aren't yet certain.

In any way, if we are born that way (which is really likely) or not, it is already a consensus on psychology: It isn't a disease, it shouldn't be treated as a problem. Everyone has the right to manifest their orientation without suffering for it.

From wikipedia

Homosexuality and psychology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, the simple answer to

No, it hasn't been proven yet, but it is probably what really happens.

3. Hexagon

I still maintain the position that the born this way argument, while perfectly valid, is the wrong way to go about this.