1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TeeBe's Marriage thread reminded me of this and inspired me to create a thread on it

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by LowestVocal017, May 12, 2007.

1. LowestVocal017

I just like to tell this story to those who don't want to get married for the reason that "marriage is heterosexist", and I'm not just referring to those on this board who don't want to get married for that reason -

Once upon a time, there was a fox strolling in the hot summer sun one day. He came across a vine of grapes perched high on a tree branch. Just the thing to relieve his thirst, he thought to himself. He stood on a big rock close by and then jumped forward to reach the vine of grapes, but missed. He then drew a few steps back this time, and then leaped for the grapes. Once again, he missed. He continued to try this for a number of time until he finally gave up. He walked away, telling himself "those grapes are sour anyways."

For these people, I'd like to ask: Aren't many romantic films heterosexist? Aren't dance partners, one who leads and the other who follows, heterosexist? Yet, why do we continue to go to dances or see romantic films?

I think it's easy to despise what we can't have as a defense mechanism to deprive the bad feelings out of being rejected something. Would you guys agree or not agree? What are your guys opinions on the idea that "marriage is heterosexist?"

2. LowestVocal017

Re: TeeBe's Marriage thread reminded me of this and inspired me to create a thread on

I guess the topic of thread was not suitable to anyone's interest and it diverged.

I'll just leave this thread to you guys to converse about what you guys are conversing about. :wink:

3. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Re: TeeBe's Marriage thread reminded me of this and inspired me to create a thread on

I have moved all the same sex marriage stuff to a new thread here http://emptyclosets.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1625

You can now chat about LV's topic here if you wish. :wink:

4. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I think it totally is but I think marriage is so venerated in our society that people never stop to say: "Hey, what's bad about marriage? Let's unpack all the assumptions and look at it in its historical context." Romantic films are heterosexist, maybe the worst examples of heterosexism, but personally I go see them because, simply, something is better than nothing. I like seeing romance portrayed, so even if one of the people involved is not the "right" gender for my liking, I go see romance films anyway. At least I can watch hot guys, right?

Seriously, just because we partake of something doesn't mean we 100% like it or agree with it. It would be insanely difficult to avoid every bit of heterosexism in white anglo dominant mainstream culture. I have a friend who tries to and as a result, he doesn't watch very much TV or see many movies. I really like TV and movies as a form of narrative storytelling so I put up with the fact that I'm so over seeing the guy pine for the girl or vice versa.

Plus quite frankly I can always find some way to read the male lead character as gay. It might be wishful thinking but I find it entertaining. And knowing Hollywood, chances are a big percentage of the leading male stars ARE actually gay, so maybe I'm not hoping in vain quite as much as I think.