1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Serial monogamy & hookup culture

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Incognito10, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Incognito10

Oftentimes, I witness guys who go through the serial monogamy routine along with hookups in between and hear them say that they will settle down for the right one. In all reality, is this plausible or are many conditioning themselves to such an active life that settling down in the traditional sense will be a challenge?

Opinions? Am I the only one sitting and pondering this?

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I plan on polyamory if possible, and if not, serial monogamy. I have no intentions on settling down, and I'd rather wait until I am emotionally mature enough to be all motherly and shit.

I don't anticipate having any problems getting to that point as a result of serial monogamy.

~ Adrienne

3. Hexagon

I think if they find the right person, there's no reason why they can't settle down.

What I would like to dispute is the implication that there is something wrong with casual sex and/or polyamory. If someone wants to settle down, and they prefer not to be monogamous, that's perfectly fine. Also fine if they don't want to settle down.

4. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't see myself settling down for a long time. That might change if I meet a person I feel very strongly about, but that hasn't happened yet.

Plus, I always considered the 20s period to be a time of exploration and self-discovery, and too young to be tied down (let alone 18/19). But that's just me.

I guess we'll wait and see - but I'm not in a rush to enter a monogamous relationship.

#4 imnotreallysure, Dec 9, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  5. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm not a a gay male so is it okay to answer ?
    I think monogamy is much better for me I can't do polygamy . I think I can do hook ups while single but the whole polygamy thing is just not for me .:dry:

6. 741852963

I guess in a way you can see that for many gay people the 20s are what the late teens is for straight people, as the sexual freedom/experimentation was delayed out of fear/repression/denial etc.

Perhaps thats why we have an image of the "promiscuous young gay man" when the reality is probably that they are just doing exactly what an equivalent promiscuous straight teen would do, but are under greater scrutiny due to their adult status and sexuality? Just a thought.

7. Incognito10

Yes, afterward, I thought about it sounding judgmental. None intended.

---------- Post added 9th Dec 2014 at 03:33 PM ----------

Very good point. I've thought about that very subject, but have never tried to articulate it. Even in the "straight world," it seems the 20s are a mere extension of the teens and the 20s are the "new teens" and part of this is due to education and employment issues now extending well into the 20s (and living at home).

#7 Incognito10, Dec 9, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2014