1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is with Oreos?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by 741852963, Dec 9, 2014.

1. 741852963

Now I understand Oreos have been massive in America since the beginning of time, but over the last ten or so years they have taken Europe by storm. They used to be found only in foreign food aisles in large stores, but now they seem present in every shop, you can buy Oreo icecream, Oreo milkshake, Oreo dessert. It would not surprise me if they even deep fry them in Scotland.

I have a confession....I despise Oreos. They remind me of a similar black and white oblong cookie/biscuit you used to find in selection tins (anyone know the name?). Weird flavour (or lack of), weird smell, weird texture (the cookie/biscuit part is just so dense and impermeable).

My question is this: how have Oreos become so popular when we have the far superior variation, the Bourbon biscuit still on shelves (this makes my mouth water)*. Now I can understand those on foreign shores who are yet to be initiated into this humble (only a third of the price of Oreos too!) yet delectable piece of confectionery. But how can we Brits turn our back on one of the greats (scandalous!)?! :dry: They can take our freedom, but they will never take our biscuits! They'll have to pry a custard cream from my cold, dead hands! :lol:

*And no, before you ask, Bourbon biscuits do not contain actual Bourbon, although I think that would be quite lovely; a great pairing.

#1 741852963, Dec 9, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  2. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nothing will ever beat party rings.

I'm not a fan of bourbons or custard creams. They're kind of boring. I do prefer Oreos. Maybe people like them because they're a novelty.

Still, at least British chocolate remains supreme. Have you tried Hershey's? Tastes like shit.

#2 imnotreallysure, Dec 9, 2014
  3. 741852963

Oh god yes. I flip out if anyone ever dares to arrange a party buffet without including them. Its not a pretty sight.

4. Tectonic

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Oreos are delicious. Especially the mint and birthday cake ones.

5. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Oreos are amazing.

Btw when they were younger. did anyone else think the baseball team was called the Baltimore Oreos?

6. Hexagon

I don't particularly care for them.

7. CandyKing

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Convince Oreo to make a comerical to broadcast on american television with a bunch of black people for no apparent reason and let the politically correct crowd deal with them problem solved no more oreos.

If you try to get rid of my favorite cookies I will find and cut your guts out and force you to watch as I eat them MUWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

8. Adam1969

Yes, Oreos should be viewed as an AWESOME gift from God to we humans... or a great sugar delivery device at least!? :eusa_doh:

Double Stuff, all the way... when force feeding sugar into our systems we might as well go for the most tasty, potent sugar delivery device available... Double Stuff Oreo's! (!) I avoid them cause I cant eat less than 10 at a time!

9. Mith

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't like Oreo, they are so sweet, I can eat at most two of them.
    I prefer Ringo

they are similar but not so sweet and the biscuit is better then oreo's biscuits.

Or Baiocchi, I think that these are one the most delicious biscuits in the Earth *drool* Baiocchi

#9 Mith, Dec 9, 2014
  10. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

Holy shit Iv not had these in years, I complety forgot they existed!

I rarely have Oreos either, I dont think I have ever paid for any and only have them when someone offers me one on the rare occasion.

11. DinelodiiGitli

I haven't had Oreos in quite a while since I can't seem to figure out if they're vegan. :eusa_doh:
    Though as a child I LOVED them.

And suddenly I feel really American for not having a clue what "party rings" are. :lol:

12. 741852963

Like a sweet circular cookie (almost like shortbread) topped with a crisp shiny icing done in bright colours. Each pack has five, very 80s-esque colour combinations, see here. The icing is cool because it kind of fizzes and dissolves in your mouth/when in contact with liquid, so wrong but so so right! They are kind of a British institution - I've even seen phone covers with them on and earrings shaped like them!

I honestly don't know why they didn't think to sell them over in the States. Tons of sugar, crazy bright colours; I'd think they'd fit in really well with the American cookie market! They could market them as donut cookies! Missed a serious trick there, did Foxes. :icon_bigg

13. Hexagon

I haven't had them since I was about five. I'd almost forgotten they existed.

14. 741852963

On a side note I've just accidentally reminded myself of Iced Gems. God those things were vile....moreish (due to the fun of snapping the icing off the top) but utterly, utterly vile. I feel queasy just thinking about them. The smell of them! bleugh!

15. Hexagon

Haven't heard of them.

16. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

Oh no haha, they are quite sickly. Never again for me.

17. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh yeah, haven't had Iced Gems in a while. They are quite sickly.

18. Tectonic

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual

I do want! Can get them here: Foxs Biscuits delivered straight to your door - Buy online with worldwide delivery

But £13 becomes £38 after shipping (60 US Dollars). A bit much for some cookies.

19. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Interesting. I'll have to check the international foods aisle at the supermarket when I go there later. If they don't have them, maybe someone will have them at one of the Highland Games next summer

20. essie

They're milk-free but don't taste horribly. I could seriously worship them just because of that.