1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favorite ornaments

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AlamoCity, Dec 9, 2014.

1. AlamoCity

Do y'all have some favorite Christmas ornaments you collect, like, and/or cherish?

I have a couple that I like:

I like to pick up a new Starbucks ornament every year. They are really cute.

[​IMG]

I also have a silver bell and "Baby's First Christmas" cup from 2006, the year my dog was born (she is the closest I'll have to a daughter :lol:slight_smile:.

[​IMG]

As for my mom, she LOVES crystal, so I decided to buy her a yearly ornament. This is the last one I got her.

[​IMG]

2. shinji

shinji Guest

I fail to see the appeal of spending money on plastic (?) "toys", to serve as decoration for a tree that will inevitably be thrown away in a few weeks. I understand how brainwashed people are by the media and how commercialized the whole holiday is, yet still fail to see why people would go through all this trouble.

3. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, I fail to see why someone always feels the need to rain on the parade whenever other people are enjoying something...

Annyyyywaaayyy, that being said, I have always liked the December Diamonds collection, especially the mermen. They're a bit much, but I think they're fun and I have been given several of them over the years. Here are a couple examples but it's really a rather extensive line.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We've collected quite an array of ornaments over the years. We like to pick them up as souvenirs when we travel and we often receive them as gifts. Quite often we will get gay-themed ornaments like the December Diamonds ones as hostess gifts at our holiday party but then we also have ones that people have made for us. We have a set of snowflakes made of starched lace that one of my sisters tatted for us, we also have a set of wooden toll painted ornaments that my other sister painted for us. My partner has a bunch of ornaments from his childhood which we also love and use.

4. tscott

One of my family's Christmas traditions has been to buy each other a new ornament each year. Some have been costly others not terribly. One of my favorites is a pair of red mittens that were knitted with toothpicks by a friend of my mother's, a snooty fox, and a kilted Scotsman.

5. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I have an affinity for the macabre, and Christmas is a fine time to express such. I might get some flak for this, but my favorite Christmas ornament (that I own):

[​IMG]

I know, you're probably thinking, why would you have a Jack the Ripper Christmas ornament?

Well, that's a good question. Normally, I'd never have thought to have such, but the story behind it has always been an amusing memory. To keep it short, back in 2002, my grandmother took me to a few countries in Europe, and during our few nights stay in London, England, I took the Jack the Ripper tour. Afterwards, my grandmother told me, that I could get something from a gift shop.

I considered some simple postcard, but then... I saw it...

A God damn Christmas ornament. The morbid irony was too much to resist, so I went with that as my purchase, and... well, every time I see it hanging on my Christmas tree, it reminds me of that trip. Also, it's pretty counter culture for the holiday, even though I don't have a significant issue with Christmas.

Maybe this is why I've been single for so long, though... LOL...

6. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No special ornaments in my life.

Although there is some sentiment for one ball style. It's a style I grew up with. The ball has a styrofoam center, and it's covered with a colored thread. Each ball had one color of thread, and it could be red, blue, white, gold, or green. It's funny, because I really wanted us to have glass balls growing up, but my mother refused because of the pets. At one point, we had at least one cat who'd actively knock balls off the tree, so I guess the worry wasn't totally groundless.

Now I have sentiment for this style. But I also have some glass balls. You could say that my tree each year does have balls. :lol:

Maybe one day I'll get some special ornaments of some sort.

7. essie

Before getting our cat we used to only hang glass Christmas boubles on our tree. Some of them were absolutely gorgeous. We would also buy a new one everywhere we went. I guess we'll never use them again, unless our cat stops climbing the Christmas tree..

8. QueerQueen

The only one I really like with any meaning is these two dove ornaments that for some reason when me and my brother were young we would play a game where we hid them in the tree and the other person had to find it. There is another one that has a knitted part that says my name, I like that one too. :slight_smile:

9. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a Dominatrix Christmas fairy on top of the tree that I made a few years ago, it's looking pretty worn out now as it's made out of pieces of thin cut-out cardboard and was a rush job in the first place but I still like it.

Also we have a couple of cherubs that always make me smile for one particular reason. On the wall behind where we put the tree, there is a postcard with an image of Oscar Wilde accompanied by one of his famous quotes: 'I can resist anything but temptation.' Every year, without fail, no matter where or how I place these cherubs on the tree, they always manage to rotate themselves so that they are facing this postcard.

Now whether they are turning to read his words, or are simply little painted plastic homophobes that don't want their bare bottoms facing him, I'm not sure. They are funny though!

10. Adarya

A really sentimental one for me is this plastic clarinet ornament that my parents got for me when I got into an advanced band group in my area during high school. The keys on the ornament are not correct, but I love it anyways.

11. Raceme

Our family's used the same Christmas ornaments since before I was born. U oU This year, though, I've found enjoyment in making ornaments myself by gluing acorn caps to a crocheted ball and painting it.

12. The Virgo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So i'm "brainwashed" because i have holiday cheer for wanting to use my money on something i want? You sir may take a seat better yet take many seats....

My favorite ornament has to be this red one my mom has from when i was little. Its like a teardrop but its trimmed in gold glitter and has a red background

13. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is the only ornament I think I'll ever need:

[​IMG]

14. DawnM

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm absolutly in love with Shiny Brite onaments. When my mom was younger her grandma always decorated with them, but the got thrown away. Originals from the '40s!! :tears: But whenever JCP was doing that whole 'Christmas button' thing we got coupons galore, and they had replicas! They're gorgeous!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If I ever find originals, I'm buying them. No questions asked.

15. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    fun thread Alamo City. i collect old world Father Christmas's and have them around the house for the holidays. i love them. i dont do the ones with the gold and looking very rich but rather i get the rustic looking ones with rough fabrics and country feel/looks to them.

---------- Post added 14th Dec 2014 at 08:57 PM ----------

i have a few like these, that my mom gave me when i moved out on my own after high school

---------- Post added 14th Dec 2014 at 09:03 PM ----------

love these. them boys could get me over my fear of deep water :icon_wink

16. DawnM

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm very jealous. I may swoof a few of the ones we've got whenever I move out.

17. gayer axolotl

Babby First Christmas ornaments are always nice. Then I have a nice octopus one my dad got me. And some old ass Snoopy one he has, and a newer Snoopy one a friend got me in high school. Also a snowflake one with a picture of my parent's chihuahua visiting Santa (he's terrified and it shows). Also a Kerropi the Frog ball.

18. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    just to add, about 95% of the ornaments on my tree are ones that were bought for or made by my son over the years. i'll try to put up a pic later.

19. Candace

I have this one ornament that's a silver snowflake and has a red ruby in the center. It's so freaking beautiful :3

---------- Post added 16th Dec 2014 at 05:58 PM ----------

I like the last one, the fleur de lis! It looks beautiful in silver :slight_smile:

20. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    20141216_193003[1].jpg

20141216_193110[1].jpg

cant rotate these:bang: the top one is my tree this year,and the second one is a close up showing some of the ones we keep.

they are both in focus on my phone, not sure what happened in the top one.