1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Do You Greet People?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kaiser, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Pretty straight forward.

Some people hug one another, some kiss the cheeks, and some even go for a traditional handshake. For the more "cool" crowd, they have their little hand signs and motions. But, how do you greet others?

For me, it depends on the context or situation. For example, if it's with somebody casually encountered, I'll crack a smirk or smile, while raising my hand to chin-height (it's hard to describe this properly). Otherwise, I tend to go with hand signs.

In a professional setting, I, usually, always go for the hand shake. I don't release their hand first -- I let them release mine first. This is a way to establish control in an interview situation, because it forces the interviewer to relinquish control, which they had the few moments before by default. I've obtained jobs and positions by doing this, so, I know it works for me. However, I don't know if everybody could pull it off.

Eye contact fluctuates. Casually, I don't always maintain eye contact, for a few reasons. Professionally, I'll keep eye contact until my shaken hand is released. Needless to say, I've humbled folks by doing this, and they immediately acknowledge my ability to project confidence and to be bold.

Elsewhere, a simple "Hey, how's it goin'?", or something along those lines, possibly a little more personal or amusing, suffices. Though, it'd be nice to get more hugs... hugs are nice...

2. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If it's a stranger, I will usually go for either a handshake or an awkward right-in-front-of-you wave and be like "hey!". :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Not the most confident introduction, but at least it's informal.

If it's a friend, or even a friend-of-a-friend who I've heard a lot about, I'd probably go straight in for the hug. It's a good icebreaker! All of my friends hug each other, including my straight guy friends. It's nice.

Great tip on the handshake thing - I'll have to try that next time I'm in an interview!

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I greet people with a handshake pretty much as the OP describes, however I will try that technique of forcing the other to let go...:badgrin:!

As I am relatively new to the gay world it's the goodbye kisses and hugs, even with people I've just met, that I absolutely didn't expect and absolutely love :icon_bigg!

4. cuppycake

I don't really greet them. If it's someone I know well, I'll smile, maybe even wave a little. Anyone else is getting passed by.
    That doesn't help when my family introduces me to people. They're like 'Oh, look, it's the step sister of your great grandmother's uncle's daughter.', and I'll just stare and then look away. Not good with greeting strangers, especially if I feel they're bad people.

5. Quiet Raven

I usually just say "hey", or " hello" With varying tones depending on how familier I am with the person.

If it is a friend or family member, I will give eye contact and say it with a decent amount of confidence. Someone I don't know as much will not receive as much eye contact, and will certainly notice some nervousnes.

I will shake their hand if they raise it. But I have been told I give very loose handshakes. One person kept teasing me about that. And told me keep shaking her hand until I give a proper, firm handshake, lol.
    I never really thought about it, but I think I always let them release my hand first. Especially when I am nervous, I always do tend to give control to other people. About many things. I believe that is no exception.

6. DinelodiiGitli

I wave (sometimes with two fingers instead of my whole hand) and I might say "hi" or "hey" but that's usually the extent of my greetings, even with family.

7. The Virgo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I say hi to everyone but with a long e like Hieeee

8. Hexagon

If it's casual, I'll say hello, or some variation of that, and sometimes raise a hand in a half-hearted wave. Now that I'm old enough to be regarded as an equal, I'll sometimes shake an adult's hand.

9. Candace

I will either say: "hey, how's it going?", give them a handshake, or hug them, depending on the individual.

10. QueerQueen

If it is a stranger and my friend is introducing me to them or something along those lines I will say hey with a smile and probably try to start some sort of small conversation. With friends I always go in for the hug, even friends I see maybe once a month, my friends are pretty much the same way. One of my friends likes to give and receive cheek kisses as well as the hug. If I was in an interview I would say hello give a smile and shake their hand, I shall try your technique though :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. Manta

I work with kids, and last summer my boss decided to have everybody give each other high-fives when greeting someone, so every time I see my coworkers or boss, I give them a high-five. I give high fives to all the kids to, although some go in for a hug instead.

With interviews or other professional settings, I go for a handshake. I usually pay attention to the firmness, but I also to pay attention to how the other person is holding my hand. If they are holding my hand in a dominating way, I put my other hand briefly on the back or top of theirs so I've got a two hand shake. This tends to project a warmer greeting, but it also takes back control of the handshake. It's not as good for interviews, though.

I don't think I ever initiate hugs. I can't really think of a time when I have. But I like receiving hugs most of the time. I say a variation of hello, then ask after the other person.

12. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If it's a stranger or formal, I'll shake their hand and say 'Hello' or 'Hi'. Sometimes followed by a 'How are you?'.

If it's a friend, usually a hug.

13. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I'm disappointed in you! I was expecting some smart ass answer, damn it!

I still love you, though.

(*hug*)

14. LittleWriter

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I will greet someone that is familiar with a little to mutch enthusiasm and a Haaaaaiiiiiii!!! I will do this in like all the situations, with teachers, friends and classmates.

Greetings! :slight_smile:

15. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's pretty much "Hey" or "Hey, what's up?" for everybody :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

If they're close and I haven't seen them, then yeah, we might hug, but otherwise "hey" suffices :slight_smile:

16. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Me, a smart ass? You must be mistaken.

And thank you - everyone loves me, so it's only natural that you do too. (*hug*)

#16 imnotreallysure, Dec 11, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  17. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I greet people by challenging them to a duel. If they survive, then they may address me
    :starwars:

Happy days :slight_smile:

18. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

If someone offers me a handshake, I shake it.

I HATE when strangers hug me. I much prefer the Japanese way of greeting, a polite bow with no touchy-feely stuff....

So usually I just nod my head and say "hello". That's good enough.

19. Hexagon

I'd quite like that, actually.

20. 741852963

"Howdy" or "Y'alright?"

Although on occasion I will crack out the old finger guns.