1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How did your prejudices come about?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Alt, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Alt

Alt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yes, they are bad but sometimes you have something happen in your life that scars you. I currently have 2 that I can think of.

Smokers: I was asthmatic when I child, I grew up always hearing to stay away from smokers, they are bad, don't go near them. It's quite logical on their part, I do not fault them for it. When I see a smokers outside, all I can think about is how that person is willfully damaging others lungs, the ruffian that exhaled the smoke while they are behind me or my younger brother. I've never seen someone go and ruin just themselves, so I tend to think about smokers negatively.

Middle Eastern men: When I was ~12 and looked like I was a 9 year old, I went to buy a snickers bar from the store. The guy wouldn't give me my change and told me to go the back of the store so he can do butt stuff to me, this was after he asked me quite a few personal questions that I answered because I wanted my change. Since, I try my darnest not to go to store run by 'em. Unlike smokers though, I have meet nice cashiers who remember me when I go back to their store, or helped me even though I came up short on change.

So~ EC, how did y'alls prejudices come about? Just because, a story you read, a news program you watched, or something that happened to you?

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't have prejudices. And if you think I do, you're mistaken. I fight for everyone who isn't evil.

3. Quiet Raven

I have no prejudices either.

However, I do dislike smokers who don't regret the fact that they are smokers. I don't consider that prejudice, because like you said, they are harming other people by doing that. But if you start, it is hard to quit. And many smokers regret starting. But if they have no regrets and remorse for being a smoker, then I may kinda dislike that person. If they at least try to stay clear from other people when they smoke it isn't so bad though.

And I really hope you are trying to shake off your prejudice feelings. Because they are horrible feelings for a person to have.

#3 Quiet Raven, Dec 11, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  4. iiimee

I am not really prejudice... just don't murder somebody and we'll be fine.

5. Alt

Alt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I would call having preconceptions that anyone who isn't evil, has a worth, a preconception of the person. You, while living were impacted in such a way that you believe that of people before meeting them. That to me, is a prejudice.

6. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Let's remember the pre in prejudice. Evil has to be demonstrated, not assumed.

7. Alt

Alt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think I should have used a better word, but I forgot about the negative connotation some people focus on about prejudice. I find it unlikely that 3 people have gone their whole lives detached or unaffected by the events around them. Somehow, you react more favorably to certain people, or unkind to other.

I know that addiction is hard to quit, I have a few of my own. But that's what wonderful about prejudice, they are illogical! Just because a nun gave you a donut, that might leave such a mark on you to think of them favorably. Even liking someone with glasses because they remind you of your friend.

I acknowledged mine and they don't cause hate or dislike. I am more wary of Middle Eastern man than a Hispanic one, won't share a space with a smoker, and I'm less wary of the homeless than I should be.

I am not asking what happened to make you hate a group of people, but what impacted you so much that you feel something about them, good or bad, before you meet them.

#7 Alt, Dec 11, 2014
  8. Quiet Raven

I don't judge people before I know them. I will not treat anyone with disrespect until I see a reason. Race, sex, gender, sexuality, age, style, ect. have no affect on how kind I am to that person.

That may be hard to believe. That is understandable. This kind of mentality is, unfortunately, rare.

9. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Prejudices:

Previous

Blacks-When I grew up, my Grandpa told me that a lot of blacks were thieves. He was from NC and didn't care for MLK. In 5th or 6th grade, I realized how prejudiced it was. In 8th grade, my teacher was from Detroit and told us that he lives there. We shouldn't judge people for their color but who they are in regards to character. He had lived in Detroit with no problems. I gained friends of many ethnicities in college.

Trans people -Most of the trans. people I knew were homeless, aloof, and bitter when I was growing up. In the spring, that changed when I came here and visited the LGBT center. The trans. woman at the desk is one of the warmest people there, and the trans. people here are beautiful.

Gays-Specifically, I believed all the James Dobson crap about how "they" were the scourge of our society and disease carriers. I had to come to grips with my own sexuality before I could deal with my homophobia. I still have my own rare moments in regards to flamboyant guys, but I am working on it.

Current

Cops I was pulled over for being freaked out during a snow storm after a real long day. It was for no reason. He didn't like that when he beeped his horn, I didn't look at him. I was previously lied to by another officer about something. My brother was pulled over for "looking like a mugger". I have seen a lot of civil rights violated. I come from a position of mistrust until I know the officer. Everytime I see a police car, I get nervous.

Smokers
    I hate smelling smoke on my clothes. I hate getting second hand. Most seem like lower class even though I realize many aren't.

10. Quiet Raven

I am proud to say that I don't let things like that cloud my judgement at all. Good or bad. I never have.

Not only that, I despise the very idea of it. Because it is completely unfair to lump someone in with a group of people and treat them differently because of it.

I get that those feelings can sometimes be hard to shake, but if you realize it is ilogical, that is good. I just hope you at least try to be less "wary" of middle eastern men.

11. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I grew up looking down on teenagers who'd wear a lot of makeup, drink and/or smoke, partied a lot, that kind of thing. Thankfully, I moved past that.

12. Alt

Alt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Everyone judges everyone, because the second you look at them you know something about them. Their Clothing, wrinkles, bags, jewelry, mannerism. I do not think it okay, but I do think it is inevitable.

I do not let my past experience overwhelm me, like say a rape victim saying all men should die or because you are scorned attacking more 'beautiful' people. I do acknowledge them and work to minimize them as best as I can, I am self-aware enough to do that. Unless you want to use plastic surgery to fake it, scars stay with you. You should still try to move away from your default setting though~

13. DinelodiiGitli

I don't think I have any unless you consider my partial avoidance of most men due to anxiety to be one. That's caused by being around mostly drunk/drug addicted men as a child and living in a household of all girls currently.

14. Quiet Raven

Yeah, well, maybe it is because when I was very young I experienced quite a few stories (movies, games, ect,) that basically teach prejudice is wrong. And that stuck with me. Because it made sence to me even then.

15. Clancularius

Clancularius Guest

I'm don't really have any prejudices. Although I despise communists, that's for a very specific reason.

16. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hate to say it, but some of you have prejudices against Christians and conservatives here. Everyone has or had some sort of prejudice; the question is whether you are aware of it.

17. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are certain accents people have (Ebonics, thick Southern, etc.) that lead me to assume the speaker is probably uneducated. Simply comes from stereotypes that I've heard of, read about, or seen.

When walking alone at night, if I come across Asian guys, I find them less threatening than if I were to come across Hispanic or black guys. Comes from personal experience with who commits more violent crime around where I'm from.

I do have some tendency to associate the word "feminist" with "man-hater". Comes from my experiences with self-proclaimed feminists mainly on the internet.

18. Quiet Raven

Hmm... Well.... I suppose. Let me explain.

Christianity means to follow a bible. Either fully, or partially. And that bible says, (among many other things I disagree with) that homosexuality is a sin.

So when someone tells me they are christain, that does send me a message they are less likely to be someone I will like. Especially because homophobia is so common among people in general. So if they are Christian, that just raises the chances further.

That being said, I still don't make my final judgment until I know just what they follow. So I am still reluctant to call it true prejudice...

But maybe it is. I won't argue that.

#18 Quiet Raven, Dec 11, 2014
  19. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^I could probably add that one to my list as well. I tend to assume most Christians, Muslims, and members of other religions are homophobic or "against homosexuality" in some way. It doesn't mean I assume they're all nasty Westboro Baptist Church people, but I do assume that I may have to be more wary about my sexuality around them. When my friend was dating a Muslim girl, for example, I was nervous how she would react if she knew he had a gay roommate, etc. Turns out she was totally fine with it, but it is something I am wary of.

20. Clancularius

Clancularius Guest

Leviticus is the only thing that says that homosexuality is a sin, everything else is referencing to it in rape and prostitution.