1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being religious

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by potofsoup, Dec 11, 2014.

1. potofsoup

potofsoup Guest

Hello friends,

I have a question.

Can a gay person who is quite religious be in a relationship?

I am just concerned whether being quite religious might be a turn off to other people.

(as I am quite a religious person myself)

#1 potofsoup, Dec 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2014
  2. gayer axolotl

yea

---------- Post added 11th Dec 2014 at 11:18 PM ----------

why couldnt they ):

3. White Knight

Yes...

First of all we really don't know what God's look on us. He created us so he must know something, right?

To me all religions, if followed without falling into biggotry are there to lead a person to be a better human.

I generally approach religious people with caution as they have possibly of turning out as biggots. If they aren't I love them, talk and discuss faith, God and life with them as they can have great insights.

4. womaninamber

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think if you are open about being religious you will meet other people who can respect you for it, maybe even other religious gay people.

5. Gremlin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think so. I myself am agnostic, but the girl I am starting to see is LDS. It can make some things hard, mainly for her. It is just another part of her though and there is so much more to her.

6. Burnedcloset

I'm still working through this issue. religion is something I would like to keep but, I seem to be drifting from it. I am definetly spiritual. Being a catholic is not easy when, you hear the gay community being condemned with the bible daily.

7. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, it can be done. Despite the fact I am rather conservative other than interpreting those 6 pesky passages, I plan on attending a Metropolitan Community Church. They are located in the same city as my LGBT center. I feel like I will be at home there, but I am not sure. I certainly support theology such as the Nicene Creed as well as other "Christian orthodoxies". Finding balance is hard, but I still believe in the Lord. Attitudes even within the evangelical Christian world are changing with those 40 and younger. In 20 or so years, it won't be an issue in some of these churches which skew towards somewhat conservative(but not fundamentalist) beliefs. The difficulty is finding a church now that is LGBT friendly but stands for what I believe is important within Christianity.

8. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As long as you're not the sort to tell your partner that God's watching in the middle of having sex, there generally won't be a problem.

9. White Knight

Umm maybe you can tell it if he likes to being watch? :grin:

10. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depends on what you mean by "quite religious". If you can define that, maybe I can properly answer the question.

11. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Holy voyeurism.

The lord shall be thy sucker succour.

12. potofsoup

potofsoup Guest

You never know how loud I was laughing when reading this LOL :roflmao:

And nope I won't tell that though :slight_smile:

13. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To be less flippant, it shouldn't be a problem. And if someone's arrogant enough to try to change you (assuming that you don't hold really nutty beliefs and don't try to force your religion on a prospective or actual partner), they're probably not worth being in a relationship with.

I am a firm Lutheran in culture and the concept of a God certainly appeals to me and occupies part of my thinking, even if I'm not an actual deist. If someone were to try to remove that aspect of my identity, then I would not give them my love.

14. potofsoup

potofsoup Guest

Ok I shall try,

Basically, I perform a daily prayer in the morning which is about 20 minutes.

And go to the temple once a week ( on Saturdays ).

But,

I don't discuss or debate about religious stuff at all. Its more of whether others (my future partner) are okay with me praying for quite long in the morning. (Sorry if this sounds silly)

15. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not silly at all :slight_smile: That wouldn't bother me in any way. And I really don't think it would bother most people, even people who aren't religious. And if you did meet someone who was bothered by that, well frankly I'd consider them to be pretty closed-minded and they probably wouldn't be the right person for you.

16. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    For me, the experience of looking at a sunset, or listening to the waves on the seashore, is much more spiritually powerful than going to a church or cathedral, but if religion does it for someone, I have no problem, I could be with that person - so long as they never tried to convert me to their belief system, whatever that may be. And I would show them the same courtesy. I'm interested in Buddhism, Taoism, and a few other things, but I would never try to impose that on anyone else, either.

#16 Damien, Dec 12, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  17. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it is great. Prayer is a good habit as well as reading your text. If you are Jewish, we could certainly read together(hypothetically of course).

18. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    potofsoup, I'm in a relationship with someone who is religious (and I'm an atheist secular humanist), it can definitely work out. :slight_smile:

It depends on multiple factors, your point of views, the point of views of your future boyfriend and such. I can't answer this question in general, but it's certainly possible that it will work out very well. :icon_bigg

*edit* Personally, I would find it awkward if my boyfriend would pray (out loud) when I can hear him. I think it would make us both feel uncomfortable (as I don't share his faith, and I want him to be as open as possible with it. He should not surpress it because of me) But a solution is just not being there when you pray (if your boyfriend will mind it a bit). Moreover, you can also find someone who has the same faith. =)

#18 Quem, Dec 12, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  19. Incognito10

I would think if a religious person seeks out a partner of approximate equal religious fervor, it should not be an issue.

20. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I'd describe myself as a little bit religious, leaning towards quite religious. I think if you are a little bit or quite religious you should be fine, but if you are very or extremely religious, with dogmatic views and opinions you might find it a bit more difficult.