1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How closely do you resemble your county's stereotypes?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Quiet Raven, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Quiet Raven

Just a little discussion I think might be fun. Nothing serious. But any county has stereotypes, or things that are commonly associated with people there. And my question is, how closely do you happen to resemble these stereotypes for your own country?

Canadians are known to be fans of hockey, beer, we are apparently very polite, wear toques year round, ect.

Some of these things are actually true for a lot of people, (though I never saw someone who where's a toque year round) I barely fall under any of these, lol.

I feel like my family are the only ones in this country who are not obsessed with hockey, lol. And it is very rare for me to meet someone besides myself who does not drink beer.

The politeness thing is actually kinda true. For me as well. We tend to be overly polite. If I am standing behind someone, and they walk backwards and step on my foot, I will apologize. "Why the hell would you do that??" You are probably thinking. I dunno. Habit. This sort of behavior is very common here though.

So yeah, there is really only one Canadian stereotype that holds true for me. That I think of offhand. What about you? For your country?

2. Candace

I'm thin, have a valid passport, speak more than one language fluently, don't have a gun, excellent at geography, and didn't vote for George W. Bush :grin:

So, not really close at all :slight_smile:

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I'll have to split this into two categories...

American
    - I like to eat.
    - I like money.
    - I'm opportunistic.
    - I can be arrogant.
    - I can't formally speak another language.
    - I own firearms.

While I like to eat, I'm pretty careful about excessively doing so.

While I like money, I'm not blindly loyal to it. I just, realistically, realize you can do more with it.

While I am opportunistic, I'm not totally ruthless about it, if I can avoid being so; but I can be, if it comes to 'do or die' situations.

I have no shame admitting I have an ego, but I'm not totally blinded by it. Just pushed forward and kept confident, due to it.

I know some words here and there, but I am an absolute failure at speaking a foreign language. The only exception would be ebonics, but most wouldn't count that -- to them I say, you try navigating 'the streets' without it, and tell me if it doesn't count!

I own some guns. But I'm not all, "YEE-HAW, BOYS, LET'S GRAB DEM THAR SHOOTY-STICKS AND PLUG 'EM FULL 'O HOLES!" about it. That... is just a little too much.

Kentucky
    - I like to be barefoot.
    - I like the sound of banjos.
    - I like love chicken.
    - I use some 'Southern lingo', like "y'all" and "fixin'".
    - I've got that "Southern charm" swag.
    - I own firearms.

#3 Kaiser, Dec 12, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  4. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

Not at all.

5. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What I don't do? I could be considered cocky, but I'm not stereotypically vulgar about it. I don't drink beer (both because I'm allergic to it and it's disgusting) and the same goes for Vegemite. I'm an avid reader of poetry and classics (steering away from stereotypical philistinism), not overly laid-back (I'm viciously competitive and education is God in which maintaining scores within the top 3% of all students is my minimum goal), hate anything gritty and I don't have a large practical skill set. I'm also a vegetarian, thoroughly anti-racist, and believe in mass-immigration into Australia like most of the world allows.

On the other hand, I'm adventurous, like swimming, I know what to do if I come across dangerous animals (generally nothing at all is the thing to do) and, as far as stereotypes from South and East Asia go, I come from a pretty affluent family.

I would say I'm not particularly stereotypical, but very few people I know really are.

6. Ryujin

I fit my local stereotype of not fitting with our national stereotype.

7. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Barely. There are reasons I'm always mistaken for Canadian when I travel abroad.

8. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like to say that I'm only American in the sense That my Passport says so.

9. BiShoegazer

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    As I don't really have a clear national identity I'll do both.

English stereotype:

I love cricket, I'm quite prone to being pale, I apologise too often and I love tea but there are also stereotypes I don't match like an apparent love of queueing, talking about the weather and a love of gravy. I also have no regional accent so I break with the stereotype of everyone either having an aristocratic accent or an "Alright me old geyser?" Cockney sort of accent.

Catalonia:

I'm a master of the Sardana dance, I'm pro independence and sort of force people to speak in Catalan to me (Reaching the point of them speaking in Spanish to me and me replying in Catalan to them) like the stereotype indicates. On the otherhand, I don't support FC Barcelona, I'm quite friendly and I'm anything but tight with money.

So I more or less fit in with the two stereotypes.

#9 BiShoegazer, Dec 12, 2014
  10. CyanChachki

I love hockey, I can withstand freezing temperatures, I enjoy Tim Horton's more than any other coffee shop, I say "eh" instead of "hey" after a specific question and I'm fairly nice, especially out in public. Anything else really.. Like I don't build igloos and ride a dog sled..

11. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't resemble Brazil's stereotypes at all.

-I rarely play soccer and do not care about national championships.
    -I don't live in the jungle. My city has almost 12m inhabitants.
    -I'm not extroverted.
    -I don't own a monkey (lol).
    -I don't know how to samba and tbh I'm not interested either.
    -I don't talk a lot and I'm not loud (mostly)
    -I speak Portuguese, not Spanish, like 99% of Brazilians.

But
    -I love the beach.
    -I like dancing.
    -Alcohol is nice.
    -So are barbecues.

12. Phalange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't really fit the two most basic Swedish stereotypes:
    My hair a light brown, not blond.
    My eyes are green/gray, not blue.

But, it's relative. Someone who has dark brown hair might say that I'm dark blond, instead of brunette. I've always seen myself as brunette though.
    My eyes are still fair, but not blue.

As for other stereotypes:
    I've heard a stereotype about Swedes being tall, I'm 5'9 (176 cm) so I guess I fit that one.
    Another stereotype is that Swedish girls are beautiful, and of course, that fits me. lol.

13. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't get a tan for the life of me, I hate beer, I'm not racist, and I virtually never go to the beach. However, I do like vegemite and I swear a lot.

14. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Guess it depends on the stereotype - the upper class, tea-sipping, refined stereotype (like Kate Middleton), or the lower-class, violent, drunk, trashy stereotype (the people you see in Ibiza throwing up on the street).

I guess I fall somewhere in-between. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

15. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh, I forgot to add; I never call anyone "mate".

16. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mate is a word I'm guilty of using a lot, as well as 'oi' - as in, 'oi mate'. I'm so common. Funny how interchangeable many British and Australian stereotypes are.

17. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I probably don't match many American stereotypes well. Not into guns, not very religious, not overweight, not terribly patriotic, not ignorant of the world (I've done a lot of traveling and geography is one of my strong suits). At the same time, I'm definitely a bit spoiled, I'm outdoorsy, English is the only language I'm fluent in, I love American TV shows and movies, and I tend to assume many Europeans and other non-Americans are snooty :slight_smile:

18. Rawrzilla

Rawrzilla Guest

Let's just say I would be a pariah here where I live were I not so naturally irresistible.

19. puppiesarecute

Well…
    I'm not Bush, nor do I think like him in any way
    I'm actually not technically over weight, regardless of how I feel about my body (I'm not implying that being chubby is a terrible thing at all, it's just a stereotype applied to america)
    I like food…a lot
    I don't go around shooting people, and I don't believe in 9 year olds (or anyone who is not military) carrying military level assault weapons. background checks=YASSSS.
    I'm not patriotic and I'm kinda an anarchist, but I do prefer america to some other countries obviously.
    I speak fluent spanish (more of a ny thing)
    I don't represent american stereotypes well at all, but maybe I just don't know all of them.
    Oh and I think money and most man made materialistic ideas are illusionary. And I don't like bacon or fried chicken…actually I'm a vegetarian. I am more of a stereotypical new yorker than american, but you weren't asking that so...

#19 puppiesarecute, Dec 12, 2014
  20. Formality

Well I'm blue eyed, blond and tall. I wouldn't call myself a heavy drinker though. I'm somewhat introverted and quiet, I am very honest and kind, and yes, arrogant to some degree, but I don't think that is necessarily something bad.