1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Easily Do You Ask For Help?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kaiser, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Pretty straight forward, again, I'd say.

How easy/hard is it for you to ask for help? To go a little further, do you have an issue with admitting, you ever need help? Does it depend on what you need help with, as to whether or not it is easy or hard?

I'll have to give my own answer later, as I have several errands to run. But I wanted to drop this question, before I left, to stimulate the board a little bit.

2. Rainbows~Exist

I depends on what I need help with. I don't like asking for help if it involves something I should be good at or should be very simple and easy to most people but I'll easily ask you for help when concerning difficult tasks like moving heavy things around e.t.c.

3. womaninamber

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I actually ask people for advice with important stuff (like asking about sexuality-related issues here) pretty easily. If I know they are OK with it I'm very happy to have their help.

I don't like asking for favors as much. There's a woman at work who's always willing to give me a ride but I feel funny asking her because I don't want to be the person who doesn't want to own a car but is always begging for rides.

And I hate asking for things in stores and will wander around searching instead of asking someone.

4. Candace

I ask people for help when it's a last resort for me. I try to use up all of my options and if those don't work, then I run to someone for help.

5. Hexagon

Well, let's put it this way: I could be getting sucked into lava, and I still might not.

6. Quiet Raven

Depends on how many people are around.

As a kid in school, I could never ask for help unless the teacher happened to be passing my desk. Or I have a chance after class. Otherwise I would just sit there confused. Maybe ask the student next to me, depending on who it was and how much I knew them. But I could never raise my hand and ask with everyone noticing.
    It has been a while since I was a student, something tells me I may have an easier time now, but I'm not sure.

However, in most cases, nowadays, when I need help for anything, it isn't too big of a problem. At work, I can easily go up to one cooworker and ask. I know him well well enough to be comfortable around him. If I am shopping, I have no issue asking an employee for help if I need it.

Even strangers, at a bus stop or something, if I need to ask something, it's not a big deal. Because even if I do embarrass myself, they are strangers, I will never see them again. So it doesn't matter too much.

Online, it is much easier. Just because I can write out my question instead of saying it out loud. If I need advice and I feel people here can help, I have no issue putting up a thread where you all can see.

#6 Quiet Raven, Dec 12, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  7. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Not. At. All.

I am very self sufficient, and hate depending on others for anything.

8. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends on from whom and for what.

I do everything I can to get help for something I don't understand from teachers, but I would rather die than ask my parents about something deeply personal. As for other things, I can never ask for something like a lift; it has to be offered to me or I won't ask so I don't have to put someone in the awkward position of having to refuse me.

I'm also too proud to ask for some forms of help. I always feel that asking for help is akin to grovelling if it's not absolutely necessary or an expected part of a relationship (student-teacher, for example).

9. BiShoegazer

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It's not my favourite pastime but I'm gradually getting over the fact that people's estimations of you don't decrease if you ask them for help.

10. cuppycake

I don't like asking for help. I'd rather struggle on my own. Then I realize I really need someone's assistance, I give up and then I miserably go to ask for help, with a quiet, ashamed voice.

Unless there's a spider in the bathroom. Then I'm more than happy to ask someone for help, LOL!

11. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

It comes very naturally to me when I do need it.
    I rarely need to ask for help, but when I do, I don't mind asking for it.

I know and realise that I don't need help because I'm weak, or stupid, or incapable.
    Sometimes, others can just help you get through some low points in your life, or some small or large crisis. Sometimes, things just get so much easier when you accept help.

I am fine on my own and can handle myself almost always, so why wouldn't I accept help when I could -really- use it? It's not a sign of weakness, but of self-awareness and respect.

12. Burnedcloset

I'm fine with help online, I have asked for advice ALOT on this forum. I do feel, I might seem weak, lazy, self-pitying, and stupid.

13. I'm not that good at asking for help
    .. like at all. I guess I seem to cover up my insecurities to others and it makes me feel weak to ask for help.

14. Yosia

Help off of a stranger = never going to happen.
    Help off of a tutor = usually depends on if they ask if i need help
    Help off of a person i know but not necessarily friends = depends on how urgently i need help
    Off of a frien/best friend = will ask for help even if i don't particularly need it, just to make things easier xD

15. Hiems

I don't have problems with asking for help. However, I ask as a last resort. I would try exhaust all the possible ways to solve a problem first.

For instance, if I have a question about a professor's lecture, then I usually read the textbook and/or find answers through online sources first. If I can't find the answer, then I ask for the professor's help.

Also, at the pharmacy I work at, a lot of people ask about their medications. I can answer some questions based on my knowledge from my schoolwork and answers from researching online drug databases. But if the drug is unfamiliar to me, then I direct the patient to the pharmacist instead.

16. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

17. Box

Box

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It depends. I don't want to bother anyone if I can solve the issue myself, but I don't have any problems with asking anyone for help if I really need it. If it's someone cute I might ask even if I don't need to :3

For more serious situations I wouldn't mind asking friends or family for favors, even though it doesn't really happen that often, they know I would help them out too since I have in the past.

#17 Box, Dec 12, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  18. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I ask for help as a last resort. I'll try and troubleshoot, and figure out a way to solve the problem, but if all fails, I will ask.

I'm somewhat stubborn about it, but it's better to ask than to struggle and regret not asking.

19. Miles16

Miles16 Guest

I don't like when people try to help me when I don't need it and haven't asked for it, however well-intentioned it might be. I do like it when they help me when I need it, regardless of whether or not I've asked for it, but I try to avoid asking for it unless absolutely necessary out of fear of being a burden or inconvenience to them (or in some cases to protect my fragile ego from judgment).

20. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's kinda hard for me to ask for help, but when I do I really need it.