1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you make of this?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rainbows~Exist, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Rainbows~Exist

So the other day some random girl in my year messaged me on facebook and before you say anything I am aware that I might come across as being rude to her... This is the conversation:

her: hi

me: hey

her: you ok?

me: Yeah I'm good

her: good

me: If I'm being perfectly honest I'm quite confused at the moment considering we've never actually talked to each other before... Did you want something or...? (Don't mean to sound rude)

her: ohh no i was just going to chat aha dont worry ill go away

me: Oh no you don't have to

her: no its ok:slight_smile:

me: Sorry if I sounded impolite

her: no thats ok:slight_smile:

me: So... what did you want to talk about?

her: anything:slight_smile:

me: Okay listen. When it comes to conversation I'm pretty terrible at finding things to talk about so I don't really see this going anywhere...

her: thats oookay byebye:slight_smile:

me: bye

Considering I'd never actually spoken to her in my entire life I found it quite weird as to why she started talking to me? I really hate conversations with no point to them so I just want your guys' view on this. Thanks.

2. Hexagon

:lol: I think your response was reasonable. She was probably bored and/or lonely.

3. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well this was awkward.
    Maybe she was just messing up with you.

4. Burnedcloset

She should have traveled to omeagle or something lol XD

I can understand where you were coming from.

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Awkward as balls XD. Rather than ask if she wanted something, I would have gone with something more open-ended like "What's going on?" Because if it were me messaging somebody for no reason, it would probably be because I want to talk to them.

6. Zoolander

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Weird way to introduce yourself to somebody. I may be reading into it way to much, but the amount of smiles she used is suspicious... :slight_smile: Anyways, you you recognize her at all?

7. womaninamber

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think you were impolite -- a little blunt maybe but if people are going to go around messaging people they have never talked to before they should be prepared for a little bluntness.

(I probably would have gotten into some kind of stupid conversation but that's not necessarily a positive thing.)

8. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

Once a friend I had when I was in 3rd grade started messaging me on facebook with all this immature stuff saying he wanted to have sex with me, and then five minutes later came back and apologized saying his friends had his phone. I still don't know if I believe him.

9. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  10. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok...I gotta say when Dr. Rorschach posts a thread titled "What do you make of this?" my expectations are set on something more visual than a text exchange. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

But that aside...no, I didn't hear rudeness...I heard "get to the point", which was utterly your prerogative to request. The clear answer was "I have no point" with a possible "...but I was hoping maybe there'd be a point if I said hi"...and definitely a little awkwardness that she had caused, entirely on her own.

Yes, a different person would have played that conversation differently. And if you were straight, perhaps you would have as well. But maybe not. Sounds like a shallow dive at making a personal connection...I wouldn't have responded well to that from either sex.

11. CyanChachki

Maybe she thought you where cool or something and wanted to chat with you but didn't know what to say.

12. White Knight

Your asking what she wants is what I would do as well. I hate when people running around a point with idle chatter. If you want to just chit chat, just say so.

Second part? Hmm I never say something like that unless I really don't like that person.

If they are total strangers they are welcome to chit chat as much as I can. All our best friends were strangers once.

13. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Probably she was just bored and no one else was online? I don't know, that's super ackward. I would have responded exactly like you did, if I responded at all.

14. Absol

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Huh, something similar happen to me a couple of months ago, except I knew the girl a little better and she had something specific she wanted to talk about. I hadn't talk to her since we graduated, so it was kind of random, but I figured she just needed to talk to someone.

15. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

This kind of thing happens to me sometimes, though it's usually with random people from different countries rather than someone from my year.. I agree she was probably bored or something or maybe she does this regularly with people on her friends list. The only part that really stands out to me as strange is how she opened with 'Are you ok?' Is it possible you might have posted a status or something earlier that could have caused her to ask that?