1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did you think your gay feelings were fake?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Sepulse, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Sepulse

Sepulse Guest

When I was a kid I thought my gay feelings were fake because I didn't know much about gay people. I stopped thinking my feelings were fake when I was fourteen and I realized that I'm not really getting more attracted to boys.

2. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No I just told myself if I didn't think about it then it wasn't real.

3. DrinkBudweiser

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i was so occupied with sports and shit like that when i was in high school that i never really worried about a love life. sometimes it crossed my mind and i'd just be like, nah, not me.

4. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was confused and unsure at first but never thought they were fake exactly. I did think they would go away eventually when I was 16, (or rather hoped they would because I wanted so much to what society and religion called normal) I never wanted to be attracted to women, I just am, and eventually accepted that I would be whatever I felt, not try to force my feelings to fit a particular label.

5. Harjus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have questioned even my own existence along the way. Yes, I have thought everything in me is fake. I have thought my attraction to girls was fake. The same thing with the attraction to guys. I have thought I am not really trans either.

6. Rawrzilla

Rawrzilla Guest

I'm a horrible liar, specially to myself. Even if I had wanted to think that, I wouldn't have been able to believe it for a second.

7. C P

C P

After hearing all the time about how so many 'have known it since they were little', you can bet I questioned the legitimacy of my feelings when they hit around ~ 20.

Do I wish they were fake? Damn right.

8. MissBookworm

MissBookworm Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    ^^^
    Guilty as charged. I was about 9 when I realized that I was gay. (Or a lesbian, whatever you prefer to label me as.) At that point, I didn't even know what they meant, and didn't figure it out until I was about 11 or 12. I think, like me, the majority of people go through a phase of denial before they come to terms with their feelings. Don't worry, you're not alone, Sepulse. :slight_smile:

9. ahardlife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I doubt any feelings people have are fake. I was in the closest for several years scared as hell .

10. TheStormInside

I didn't really recognize my feelings for what they were until much later, like 19ish, but I had a bit of a flash of insight in my younger teens where I thought I might have feelings for a female friend. I ended up telling myself that they couldn't be real or that I was misinterpreting things. It was the 90s and I knew very little about gay people. My only understanding of lesbians were that they must be butch, masculine, into sports, and so on. I didn't fit that stereotype, so like, the idea that I was a lesbian didn't really even fully occur to me.

I should also add that in my mid teens I was also bullied a lot, some popular girls decided I was a lesbian. That added *a lot* to my confusion and angst. I think for a long time I felt like they had planted a seed of suggestion in my mind and that was what confused me. I was so afraid of being gay because it was treated like something terrible, like I had the plague. And I told myself any inkling that I might be gay was just confusion from these incidents.

#10 TheStormInside, Dec 13, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  11. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn't notice signs.

When I thought I was bi, I was ok with liking girls, I didn't think it was fake then. But when I realized I was only into girls, I was denying it for myself as hard as I could to make it seem fake, but it was too real.

12. Glalie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I didn't want them to be real when I was younger, but I've always known they were quite real.

13. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope. I just hoped that they would go away. Obviously that never happened :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. Candace

Yeah! Same as the gentleman above me. I just thought it was a phase and that all of the feelings would go away in due time. Boy, was I wrong about that :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

15. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I do sometimes.

16. One Man Army

I thought my feelings were silly and out of place. I also spent a lot of time and effort trying to deny that my gay feelings even existed in the first place! Took me long enough to accept that they weren't going away any time soon.

17. The Virgo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    No, I just knew i had feeling " love " for boys than i did for girls

18. womaninamber

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I still think my feelings about women are "fake." It's been driving me up a wall for many years that I can't make up my mind.

19. Melanie

Melanie Guest

I didnt think they were fake I thought they were normal feelings that everyone had... I'm telling you the main character (Megan) in But I'm a Cheerleader is the perfect representation of me when it comes to that... I totally thought everything I felt was completely normal.... and it was ... for a gay person.

20. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Nope.

I had some physical interest in guys for as long as I can remember, but until I was 18 or so I just brushed that off as insignificant and something I could easily ignore. It wasn't until I developed my first intense crush on another guy and was able to imagine something that wasn't purely sexual that I realized I wasn't straight. While I won't say I was thrilled to have that epiphany, I don't think I was ever devastated that I wasn't straight and never thought I was misleading myself.