1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Most offensive thing your family has ever said about LGBT people?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PositivelyMe, Dec 12, 2014.

1. PositivelyMe

Out Status:
    Some people
    Today I was driving with my dad and we were talking about one of my college friends, who happens to be FTM. He knows this and said "did he or she fond a ride home?" I was shocked, and quickly corrected him: "He did find a ride, and he is a man." To which my father replied, "No, he just thinks he's a man."

I have never been more ashamed to be his daughter than I was in that moment. After I went off on him, he said "okay, he's a man!" But still. I hate that I even had to have that conversation and tell him why he was being a dick.

What are the worst things your families have said about LGBTQ people?

2. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    That we shouldn't display any affection in public

(you posted this topic twice)

3. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

Something my nan said (my mothers mum) ''children need a mother and a father'' I thought that was the most disgusting thing she's ever said infront of me. It wasnt just what she said it was the way she said it. My other grandmother likes and respects gay people thank god.

4. Adarya

One of my aunts once said "I can't even consider people that are bisexual, and why they would choose that for themselves. Think about all the STDs they have from sleeping with so many people of both genders!" and then my grandma has also said when my uncle chose to marry his partner that she didn't "understand why they would do something like that." Because a 'true' marriage only happens between a man and women, right? Both comments irked me a lot.

5. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

From my dear old mum's mouth "Normal people aren't transsexual."
    "You're a stereotype of a man"
    "The only reason S (a trans boy) thinks he's a boy is because she was sexually abused when she was little"
    "You're confused"
    "People can't be bisexual. If they really are that's rare."

My boyfriend's aunt- "So, your "boyfriend" is really a girl? Your sister told me that."

Boyfriend's roommate (who's straight and Ftm) said this to my boyfriend a couple months before we got together- "Ew! Get away from me! I don't want to catch your AIDS!" (This was after my boyfriend's ex cheated on him and my boyfriend waited a couple agonizing weeks waiting for tests to come back and hoping and praying his ex didn't lie and give him anything. Thankfully his test results came back negative.)

6. jnarinami

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Gay sex is equivalent to having sex with an animal.

7. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My grandfather sometimes talks about gay men being on all the soap operas saying that they are getting everywhere

8. Burnedcloset

Oh, don't get me started! I'm not even sure what to say, there's so much.

Ummmmm what's the *worst thing*?

Probably "I'm just going to run over these fags" from my sister. Two guys were holding hands while she was driving, in San franaciso -_- what did she expect!

9. antibinary

Probably bisexual people are greedy or pansexual people don't exist as there's only two genders. She then proceded to admit that it was offensive. AND SHE STILL SAID IT AGAIN!!!!

10. kituwu1

They don't talk about it much, but my grandma got up to talking with strangers about family in that grandma way. She brought up her eldest son (HIV took him) and said cancer had killed him.

Kind of indirect but I thought it was really messed up...

11. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    "Transvestites look ugly. Can't never match the beauty of a real woman"

I mean, no offense but what's the point of this thread? why would we want to remember all this crap?

12. C P

C P

Most? I feel it'd be easier to say one of the lesser offensive things.

Just last night, in fact, my cousin was linking homosexuality with pedophilia yet again. Word had got back about something that happened up the street involving this lady's son and a young(er) girl and my cousin chimed in with "Does that really surprise you with his gay ass self?" (apparently when something like this happens, regardless of the gender it's directed at, you can't be het).

What's wrong with it? It doesn't exactly make things better to pretend that stuff like this doesn't happen. It might do some good to just skip the thread if you don't want to be reminded of the ignorance.

13. Nightdream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My father already told me that he was talking to a butch lesbian woman in the What's App and said "how women want to become men, but just can't do it! Men don't use those smileys when they talk to other people.". I decided to go away, but then he said that he wanted to talk to me about it and then he explained his transphobic/sexist opinions on it. I just said that I disagreed with him and he at the very least respected me for that.

My aunt already expressed her disgust for homosexual people by saying that she doesn't want any gay/lesbian person in her home. I'm seriously thinking about coming out to her and never step inside her apartment again.

14. MonteGuy92

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The worst thing that my family probably said is that gay people should all be shot in the head. "Line them all up and shoot them." My mom said that once specifically about one of her acquaintances on Facebook. When my mom saw that she was in a relationship with a woman she said "She needs a bullet in her head." Yea...it's that bad. She also told me one evening as I was helping her clean up from dinner that if I was gay my dad would "beat me to a pulp." I thankfully managed to move out and get my own place. Every time I go back and visit them I am reminded why I left.

15. ChameleonSoul

A tie between these two (both from my grandmother):

When she found out that the Democrat candidate for our HoR district was gay... "The gay people are everywhere now! Why can't we go back to the good old days when the gays were locked up for their crimes!"

When it came on the news that India criminalized homosexuality... "At least India is doing something right!"

16. Chriswe

I helped my mom with the café in the thrift shop she works at sometimes. A middle age trans* woman ordered something and I just prayed my mom wouldn't do something stupid like stare at her. I don't think she did, but when we went on a walk with our dog later that night she said: "Did you see that weird looking man before? I mean, you could clearly see he's a man." I looked down on my feet and just mumbled something back.

This was about a year ago, when I didn't know I'm trans* myself. If this would happen now I would go mad at her with education and death glares.

17. Candace

My mom said once that I want to throw out some of my clothes since I was a "new found gay" and that my LGBT friends had "brainwashed me into their cult". Made me so mad! :frowning2:

18. BiShoegazer

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    "If homosexuality was natural and normal then two men or two women would be able to have children"

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you my mother.

19. Cubiculum

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My grandmother and I were watching a TV show together, and a bisexual man appears. I said "it must be interesting to like both genders" just to get an opinion out of her.

She seemingly had a mini shock attack, then scolded me and said "Don't talk about that! It's not normal!" whilst waving the finger of blame.

It wasn't what she said, more the way she said it - almost like she was frightened of discussing it.

20. TheStormInside

Some uncles/cousins -general homophobic slander. Calling people gay as an insult, using the word "fag."

My dad used to say gay people were "ill." That gay people are all sick or "not right." Not sure if he still believes this or not. Though he had an interaction with this kid I know who was telling my father he wanted to wear a dress to prom and his date to wear a tux (he's just an odd attention seeking kid, not trans). My dad thought this was way weird and asked him if he was going with a guy or a girl. He replied "a girl" and my dad said "Oh, well that's ok then." :icon_roll