1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What percentage of LGBT representation would you like

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Driftr, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Driftr

I personally wouldn't mind if LGBT representation was around 25% in the media. I mean I'm not expecting 50/50 representation, but it would be nice if most shows had at least one LGBT character the same way most shows have a character of a racial minority.

What you you think is the right and realistic percentage to aim for?

2. Melanie

Melanie Guest

Whatever is representative in that population

3. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    25% would be like a massive overrepresentation because we're only like 5% of the population

4. Hexagon

I'd like for it not to matter.

5. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it should represent the population also. It would be nice if if didn't matter, because then it would. I don't believe in giving gay or "minority" actors a leg up because of something they can't control, so I don't think there should be a defined quota to be met. It should just be who does the job best.

6. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Swell. And I'd just like to be happy.

Severe underrepresentation in the media is a sign that it *does* matter. So saying you want it to not matter is tantamount to saying you want decent representation. The OP is asking what representation you'd consider decent.

To the OP, I'd take 5-10%, as I think that's about our representation level in society.

7. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I always feel kind of funny when I'm watching a show and realize there is only one minority. Personally I think if everything was fair shows would have an even balance of races based on the location it's set in, rather than just one token character.

8. thesharkamander

Well, ideally I want everything to be MOGAI (that's another acronym for LGBT) and basically just have minority characters rISE UP AND CONSUME EVERY STRAIGHT WHITE PERSON IN THE MEDIA, but realistically I'd say 25% sounds okay.
    I'd prefer more than just the token cisgender gay white guy though. Like, that's not really very good representation.

9. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  10. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I wish they did accurate reepesentation of lgbt people .:icon_sad:

11. Emmanuella

We make up, what? about 10% of the population, roughly?! But representing only 10% of the media is kind of boring... I'd like to knock it up to around 25% ... as unrealistic as it might be!

12. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    100% to be honest :slight_smile:

13. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

This, a decent number of shows have an episode with a gay guy in it, and the way they always portray them is just an over the top stereotype.

14. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It should be naturally occurring, accurate, and varying depending on what's being depicted. It should never be a token gay couple who never engage in affection and exist solely for the purpose of being a gay couple.

But above all, there should never be 0%. There should never be total silence on the subject of sexuality; if people assume every character in a show is straight, then that means avoiding mentioning it is a convenient way to erase LGBT people. Of all forms of entertainment, I think it's most important that children's shows should have accurate depictions of LGBT people.

And it must represent a cross-section of the LGBT community. It gets rather boring (and more adversely, makes the majority of queer people feel ignored) to have media in which the majority (or at the very best which is still bad, the mode) of queer people are inexplicably represented as young, white New Yorker or Londoner men from well-off families.

15. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would like 15%, but I think as more and more people come out, things will change on their own.

The thing that startles me is the bi-erasure. We are still excluded in major network TV in America.