1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I socialize and make friends?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by twospiritlycan, Dec 13, 2014.

1. It seems i'm getting over a bad week and now I feel excited to try to fix my stupid problem. So, problem is How would I make friends online? I don't think making irl friends is gonna be something to tackle at the moment because I want to avoid the cold weather and stuff. There's nothing to do in town anyway either.

How do start conversations so I won't seem boring?
    How do I hang out with online friends?
    What kind of group activities should be considered online?

How would I make the proper word choices so I won't feel like I pushed away a possible friend?

2. DiogoTy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You just made a bunch of them by being here :slight_smile:!

You have tons of topics here!
    Just be yourself, don't try to be something that you are not and thats my only advice!
    If you feel like talking just do so :thumbsup:
    We don't bite! :eusa_liar

3. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do not underestimate the importance of having friends in person.

Join discussions, give your opinions, begin conversations (threads on sites like EC are a good start) about things you enjoy and/or care about. If you can set yourself up as a person with a specific set of interests that are known, you can talk to like-minded people. And it'll naturally be easier to spark friendships if you have topics or previous interactions to talk about.

Don't seek online friends for the sake of finding friends. I think it's similar to relationships; find stuff that interests both you and someone else, and build on that. Above all, don't just say "hey" every time and not really talk about anything; it's not going to make bonding with someone easier if you never pass the polite small-talk stage.

As for activities, exchanging Skype, Facebook, even Snapchat etc., can be good ways to keep in touch with friends you meet online.

4. BloodFlame

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I' understand where you're coming from. I don't really have friends offline and I've tired ot make some with no avail currently. I also have social anxiety too so I understand.

But online is a good place to get some footing with your social skills. Aussie made some good points. It helps to have hobbies, no matter what they are. That can help you find like-minded people and be easier to have things to talk about. Surely, you have one or two things you like to do?

I hear you on the weather, it's freaking cold where I am and it's making me not want to go out either. So some advice, when the weather warms up a bit, try to get out more. You don't have to go somewhere but just get out. It certainly has helped me feel a little better even though I haven't met anyone. It's just nice to get some exercise lol.

Good luck!

5. lostluvr

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    are you native american? shit if you were here id say "dude hit me up lets drink a beer or sumthing" ..meeting people is hella hard for.me too but i admit i sorta hibernate at home alot lol..if i do get out its mainly to go skate and well...theres just kids there..bars are fun but im iffy about the people there..idk..skool maybe...or maybe at work..when you find out let.me know lol :wink:...my problem is its hard for me.to connect on an intuitive level with anyone..so most of my friends are drinkers cuz really thats all there is to do around here and like i said im a thinker theyre not so the only thing we have in common is having fun..yeeeaa i spend alot of time in my own lol..good luck

6. Candace

Well for starters, you've just started striking up a conversation with us! :grin: Just try to find people with common interests, perhaps at a one-on-one level first, then talk to more people. Go to events (use Meetup.com) that pertain to your interests. Art, cooking, speaking Italian, whatever it is! You need to find common interests. I doubt that someone would find you boring at all. Go out there and if you talk to more people, there's a greater chance that sooner or later you'll have new friends.

This is exactly what I did, by the way, and I hope that it serves you well in your quest to find new friends :grin:.

7. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

When you notice somebody who you see posting thinks a bit like you start PMing them. Tell them that you liked the way they responded to x and add your own opinion. As for word choices, just say it out loud and check to make sure it doesn't sound horrible.

Edit: this might be a bit out of your way, but most of the friends I have online I've met playing online games. You could try playing an MMO and joining a guild, or just talking to people you meet while leveling.

8. incredible06

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    i would suggest you to take the first step. start talking to them. thats what i do