1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dear youtube commenters just stop.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by CandyKing, Dec 14, 2014.

1. CandyKing

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The comment section of youtube is the worst. The number of trolls, homophobic, rascist and plain ignorant bullshit baffles me. I have a hard time avoiding reading the comment section because it usually more interesting than the video.

I want to know your experiences with the comment section. What was the most ingorant and hateful thing you read? What was the funniest? After reading the comment section do you lose faith in humanity? Please feel free to share any thoughts on the comment section.

2. Hexagon

Comments everywhere tend to be bad. The commenters have both the relative anonymity of the internet, and the brevity of a typical comment, enabling them to post idiotic and ill-thought out pieces of garbage.

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

There is some horrible stuff said, but most of the time, the comments section has loads of hilarious gems. I suppose it depends on where you are on YouTube, and the subject matter of the videos.

The most hateful or ignorant comment I've seen, was, pretty much, somebody encouraging another to kill themselves. Those are always pretty awful.

The funniest? Dear Lord, there's several. I tend to find the witty comments as most amusing, because they'll take something somebody has said, twist it, and make something typically unfunny or semi-funny into absolutely hilarious. A good example would be, the Dislike button, and how people credit an appropriate individual/thing to it.

What do I mean by that? Take a video about pick-up lines. Let us say it has 15 Dislikes, well, a user might say: "15 people are just mad they lack game." Something like that, but a little more amusing.

Do I lose faith in humanity, after reading the comments section? Maybe a tiny little bit, but nothing serious. I understand a lot of those comments, are for show, and because folks will be idiots, when they can hide behind a screen. If anything, I take it as a reminder of how much better I am... well, for the most part. I've been guilty of a few quips and remarks on the comments section, but nothing along the lines of encouraging somebody to kill themselves.

4. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

Keyboard warriors. The only thing that will stop the issues are a mass amount of moderators or closing comments off.

Such is the way of the world - well the internet :slight_smile:

5. Miles16

Miles16 Guest

I've long since stopped being fazed by the mindnumbing insanity and stupidity of comments section including youtube

6. Jakob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's the Mos Eisley Spaceport of the internet.

7. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to read the comments, not so much these days for the reasons above. I used to have a fairly popular vlog, most people were nice but it wasn't long before someone random told me to kill myself. I decided not take them up on their advice. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Excellent.

#7 Spartan 117, Dec 14, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  8. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This song is the friggin' best on this particular topic:

Thank you, hater!

Please enjoy!

9. Quiet Raven

Oh, my. Yes. They are very hateful.

The worst? Well I saw a vlog of someone talking about his friend who recently killed himself. Naturaly, he was crying. But I saw comments like "oh get the tear drops out of your eyes". And other insults. Just simply having close to 100 dislikes is pretty hurtful for something like this too.

10. Formality

I fucking hate the comment section. It's always the same shit; I watch an amazing beautiful and heartwarming video that leaves me warm and fuzzy inside. But then I make the mistake of scrolling down to the comment section and all the newfound hope in humanity is instantly annihilated.

11. PurpleDude

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    the only place I really go at people hot and heavy is on the IMDB (Internet Movie Database) boards. some of the people there actually get that I'm not trying to truly be serious and the ones that don't are even funnier, cuz that I'll just escalate till the topic gets deleted by an admin.

on youtube I leave very few comments and none at all that are directed at other users, there's just so much hate and ignorance there. very little is said that could be considered an attempt to have a conversation, so why add to the noise.

12. Rainbows~Exist

I really can't stand the comment section. Even if a good, inspiring or heart-felt video is posted the top comments is always one f****** troll posting a hateful comment because everyone has decide to argue with him/her. I wish people would just understand that you should NOT FEED THE TROLL!!!!!!! Just ignore it...

13. I think the worst are where there's people who comment on things they don't know about and assume it's the complete truth, especially if that thing is terrible beyond belief, and then having their comment liked by dozens of others who think it's the truth.

Other comments like encouraging suicide and saying that certain groups of people should all be killed off for what they are. Also people hating on things that have 0% effect on their own lives.

As for clever comments there are quite a few, but one really dark joke actually caught me by surprise one time. It was a horrible joke but it was humorous. I feel bad that it made me laugh though.

Youtube comments, and comments everywhere else, though are just noise that can easily be ignored. It may be difficult but it can be ignored.

14. Ryujin

I saw a youtube comment chain between two people who were roleplaying a pretty fucking insane friendship and it was ridiculously amusing.

15. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    To be fair you have to trust free speech. Yes, this includes listening to arseholes who say things you don't like. However we must trust that bad ideas are super seeded by good ideas in a place of free expression. If we start to censoring to remove some bad ideas, we are in danger of allowing other bad ideas to creep in unchallenged. As they use the censorship mechanism rather than their merit to propagate.

16. Litveninko

umm, true. I have seen alot of homophobic comments. Was something about a youtuber given a dare to kiss a boy, and comments are like " you kiss a boy you are gay" "fag" "that's so gay" thought the guy was straight. And something else any boyband, I see comments : they are gays.
    Idk why, but gay men are being hated so much, and yup humanity is rare nowdays.

17. BiShoegazer

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Nail firmly hit on its head.

18. puppiesarecute

Someone said that buffy was ruined due to willow's relationship with tara.

19. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

I was really pissed off and had a huge fight with a few people who commented on that girl who did keishas tik tok cover. They were horrible and so cruel to that girl. Calling her a troll and telling her she shouldn't leave the house and that she should just kill herself. It really sickened me. I mean I understand she wasnt the most attractive girl but to post such hate and ignorance all because you're hiding behind a computer screen is just disgusting. There were a few others like me trying to protect her but the amount was minimal compared to the amount of disgusting and vile assholes commenting for her to kill herself. I do lose faith in humanity quiet often.

20. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

The youtube comment section is worse than 4chan in my opinion. With 4chan I highly doubt many of them actually believe the stupid crap they are saying, it's all part of some sort of bizarre irony based "culture". On youtube however it is legitimately hard to separate the trolls from those who have something horribly wrong with them.